Biology 3FF3 summer 3rd Year Course Reviews 25 06-04-2014 05:06 PM
bio 3ff3 first 2 classes SciMania Academics 1 09-14-2010 08:06 AM
History 3FF3 ardenelva 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 06-07-2010 10:09 AM

Bio 3FF3 vs. Bio 3S03

Old 06-01-2012 at 04:09 PM   #1
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Bio 3FF3 vs. Bio 3S03
Can anyone who has taken these courses comment on which they preferred. I have seen reviews but I find it difficult to judge without a comparison. What did you find easier/more interesting?
Old 06-01-2012 at 04:15 PM   #2
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

I think Bio 3ff3 is either a hit or a miss. My friends did poorly on the exam and yet they still 12-ed it, because they aced everything else (tutorials, quizzes). I was going to take this too, but i don't know.. i saw my roommate's lectures and didn't really like how it is organized. thought it was a bit risky to take.
Old 06-01-2012 at 07:53 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

3FF3 interested me more because the book was easy to read and therefore I found it a lot easier to understand the material. 3S03 was a bit harder to understand, in fact I still don't understand how some of those programs work or what they are used for. However, what I did learn from 3S03 really helped with research for my thesis as I had to do some bioinformatics on the gene/protein I was going to be working on.
Old 06-01-2012 at 10:23 PM   #4
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Bio 3FF3 honestly should be easy for any bio student... Evolution is at the core of biology, so as far as I'm concerned I think it's an essential class (despite it not being a requirement). Dr. Stone is a great lecturer, and as jhan523 has said the book is easy to read (plus you get to take the textbook into the exam!)

In contrast, Bio 3S03 is not as intuitive for your average bio student. You'll be learning about the nitty gritty of alignment algorithms, DNA sequencing methods, databases for protein/DNA sequences, phylogeny construction etc. It's definitely a step outside most bio students comfort zones, but the tools you get from it are VERY USEFUL if you want to do research in molecular biology. I definitely felt lost in lecture, on a semi-regular basis, but luckily the 3 midterms are far easier than you'd expect from the lectures.
Old 06-01-2012 at 11:46 PM   #5
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

I will definitely keep those comments in mind, and interest wise I'm pretty set. But I need to ask, is either of them considerably easier to get a good grade or do both require equal effort?

Time consuming is often a deal breaker since I hate mass amounts of reading!
Old 06-02-2012 at 12:58 AM   #6
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

yeah, or require useless memorization....