Psych 3u03 Richa Academics 0 09-15-2010 09:48 PM
Econ 3U03 collieee Academics 2 08-12-2010 10:14 AM
Bio 3U03/3UU3 dj_money Academics 0 06-23-2008 08:43 AM

Bio 3U03 help?

Old 08-10-2010 at 12:06 PM   #1
hans23

Liked: 0 Times

Bio 3U03 help?
Does anyone have any advice/tips/feedback for this physiology course?
I need this course to fulfill the physio requirement.. but all I hear about the course are horrid things
Is an 11 or up doable if you put in the appropriate amount of work?

Any help is appreciated =(
Thanks so much.
Old 08-10-2010 at 12:12 PM   #2
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Did you take Bio 2A03 last year? I am going to take 3U03 as well and have also heard that it is quite difficult. I have also heard that although 2A03 isn't a required prerequisite, it will greatly help you in understanding the material in 3U03 and 3UU3. I did well in 2A03, so I'm hoping that 3U03 won't be that hard. It also has labs every single week... that might be a little tough.
Old 08-10-2010 at 03:22 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R633 View Post
Did you take Bio 2A03 last year? I am going to take 3U03 as well and have also heard that it is quite difficult. I have also heard that although 2A03 isn't a required prerequisite, it will greatly help you in understanding the material in 3U03 and 3UU3. I did well in 2A03, so I'm hoping that 3U03 won't be that hard. It also has labs every single week... that might be a little tough.
I hope the labs are a lot easier than 2A03. Well the labs were easy but the marking was ridiculous.
Old 08-10-2010 at 03:45 PM   #4
hans23

From what I've heard, labs are where people lose their marks..
Old 08-10-2010 at 03:46 PM   #5
R633

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I hope the labs are a lot easier than 2A03. Well the labs were easy but the marking was ridiculous.
Yeah, no kidding. I remember the average for the first one was in the 50's... At least Dr. Nurse is teaching 3U03 though... I found his test questions to be a bit easier than Dr. Wilson's.
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:08 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans23 View Post
From what I've heard, labs are where people lose their marks..
Not again >.< I enjoy doing labs but it makes me so sad when I don't do well in them. Labs are supposed to bring up your mark.

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding. I remember the average for the first one was in the 50's... At least Dr. Nurse is teaching 3U03 though... I found his test questions to be a bit easier than Dr. Wilson's.
For sure, they weren't as specific as Wilson's. I lost all my marks on her sections. Plus I find Dr. Nurse a much better professor than Wilson, but he's still somewhat boring.
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:14 PM   #7
R633

Yeah, he is a good, but boring prof. The only funny thing that happened during his lecutres was when those few people came to play hockey randomly during lecture... that was jokes...

shockalot likes this.
Old 08-11-2010 at 06:47 AM   #8
hans23

bump =(
Old 08-11-2010 at 09:24 AM   #9
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

Ahh darnnit, I'm in this as well...any words of advice, wisdom, encouragement?
Old 08-11-2010 at 01:46 PM   #10
R633

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockalot View Post
Ahh darnnit, I'm in this as well...any words of advice, wisdom, encouragement?
A lot of the lecture slides for the circulatory system unit are posted online. They have a very similar format to the 2A03 lecture slides. The material looks a lot more in depth and the textbook is massive.
Old 08-11-2010 at 02:59 PM   #11
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

This isn't an easy class to do well in mainly because of the labs.

I ended up getting an 11 in the course, mostly due to really high marks on the midterm, the lab test and presumably, the exam. I had to study a lot more than I have for other courses to achieve the same marks as I got in this course.

The labs are pretty harsh as the expectations are never clearly communicated and are pretty brutal in their own right. I remember putting in about 10 hours of solid work in a lab report to get a 70% grade. That example addresses another difficulty of the course, the amount of time and effort the labs require. If I were you, I'd take a lighter course load the term you take this course.

If you need one physiology credit, take 3UU3 instead, it's a lot easier.
If you need this course for Western Dental, I would just write the physiology challenge exam haha.

That being said, it's not a class where you're going to get a 6 or anything, it's just that the labs can limit your marks.

hans23 says thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 03:23 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
This isn't an easy class to do well in mainly because of the labs.

I ended up getting an 11 in the course, mostly due to really high marks on the midterm, the lab test and presumably, the exam. I had to study a lot more than I have for other courses to achieve the same marks as I got in this course.

The labs are pretty harsh as the expectations are never clearly communicated and are pretty brutal in their own right. I remember putting in about 10 hours of solid work in a lab report to get a 70% grade. That example addresses another difficulty of the course, the amount of time and effort the labs require. If I were you, I'd take a lighter course load the term you take this course.

If you need one physiology credit, take 3UU3 instead, it's a lot easier.
If you need this course for Western Dental, I would just write the physiology challenge exam haha.

That being said, it's not a class where you're going to get a 6 or anything, it's just that the labs can limit your marks.
Are the tests and exam comparable to 2A03? I found 2A03 a lot like what you described, tests were decent but the labs really hurt your mark.
Old 08-11-2010 at 03:37 PM   #13
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Well I'd say the midterm was harder than those in 2A03. I found the short answer questions too be hard as he would ask you to jot down about 6 marks worth of an answer for a topic I had previously considered to be minor before the test.

In 2A03 you could do fairly well if you knew the basics, but in 3U03 if you skip a topic you could really screw yourself. There's a lot more information too, and while there is a good deal of redundancy between 2A03 and 3U03, being forced to memorize the volumes of different parts of the body and the type of dye used to measure them for the small chance that such information could be an 8 mark SA question on a test really sucks. (Run on sentence )

hans23, jhan523 all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:08 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

The labs in 3U03 are much harder. The kidney one took about 4 hours to complete, but mostly because the calculations were incorrect in the lab manual. There's a formal lab report due every other week and they are marked hard.

The format might have changed because Dr. Nurse hates multiple choice questions. In the past it was MC, Short answer, and "short essays". There was a lot to memorize - far more in depth than 2A03 and there was less time to complete these midterms. As Fight mentioned, knowing the principles weren't enough you needed to know each topic in depth.

hans23, jhan523 all say thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:40 PM   #15
raim2

Quote:
A lot of the lecture slides for the circulatory system unit are posted online. They have a very similar format to the 2A03 lecture slides. The material looks a lot more in depth and the textbook is massive.
where are the notes?

thanks in advance