MacInsiders Logo
Old 04-07-2011 at 12:01 AM   #1
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Bio and physics?
Hi, there is a very good chance that I will end up at McMaster next year for Life Sci I (I have already been accepted but I am waiting to hear from other schools before accepting the offer in case they want to give me money ).

I really like bio but I also really like physics. I was wondering what I could do to combine the two.

I thought about life sci major and physics minor but I think I would like to do something more like biophysics. Is that offered?

I would also appreciate it if someone could fill me in on the medical physics programs.

Thank you for any help!
Old 04-07-2011 at 12:20 AM   #2
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...0-what-program

there is honors physics (biophysics specialization)
Old 04-07-2011 at 01:02 AM   #3
MirandaC

So should I have applied to physical sciences or can I take the course requirements for it in first year regarless of my program?
Old 04-07-2011 at 01:07 AM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1617.html

Those are the required courses, you can easily do them from Life Sciences.
Old 04-07-2011 at 01:21 AM   #5
MirandaC

Is there a way for me to work my courses for next year so that I have all the prereqs for biomed, honours medical physics and the origins research project? I am aware that the latter is combined with one of the first two.

I want to have as many options as possible and if it helps I do not intend to stop after my BSc.
Old 04-07-2011 at 02:08 AM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I was just about to suggest medical physics.
I left a link to the calendar. You can go through and see what courses you need for upper years but pretty much you can get all of your required courses. You for instance might have to take the harder 1a03 math verusus the easier 1l03 life sci math
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1466.html

Hope this helps

MirandaC says thanks to MacPack for this post.
Old 04-08-2011 at 07:35 AM   #7
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Biophysics and medical physics are options, but it really depends on what sort of bio and what sort of physics you're interested in. You may find yourself interested in a part of physics that doesn't easily apply to the sort of biology you're interested in - I'd recommend picking one major or the other, unless you know that you'll find biophysics interesting.

Of course, there's no need to fret now - figure out which learning style you prefer in 1st year. The means of learning/study in biology is entirely different from that in physics (as you probably know), but if your physical intuition is good and you've got decent mathematical skills, one shouldn't be any more difficult than the other.

MirandaC says thanks to Mahratta for this post.