MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

Bio & Enviro sci program

Old 04-09-2010 at 07:33 PM   #1
eyecandy

Liked: 0 Times

Bio & Enviro sci program
Does anyone have any info on this program?
If anyone's currently in this program, it'd be great if you can provide me with some insight as to how it's like.
I'm aiming for dental school and I thought environmental is a pretty good field to get into, too. anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Old 04-09-2010 at 09:43 PM   #2
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

The undergraduate calendar does a pretty good job of covering it. It's a joint program between Biology and Environmental Science. If you've looked into Environmental Science, you'll notice there are some Biology prerequisites and course choices, mostly in the Ecology/Biodiversity area. But if you take Biology and Environmental Science, your program is essentially expanded to include Biology courses more toward the Molecular Biology areas, as well as the traditional Ecology/Biodiversity courses that you can take with an Environmental Science program. There's also more Chemistry courses required in Biology and Environmental Sciences, whereas you can steer clear of them if you'd like in Environmental Science (as long as you took high school Chemistry, or 1R03, which are mandatory for program admission anyway).

Here's the link to the undergraduate calendar's description, if you haven't looked into it: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1525.html

Hope this helps,

Kelsey
Old 04-09-2010 at 09:52 PM   #3
eyecandy

yeah, I did look through them but i found the description of the program a little too general and vague so i guess i kinda wanted more in-depth information about the program. thanks!
Old 04-09-2010 at 10:12 PM   #4
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

hey, this program is very small, it only has about 20 people in it, so just wait a few days until people in the program see this thread and can post some info for you.
But from what i hear its a really good program and the people in it love it
Old 04-09-2010 at 10:46 PM   #5
eyecandy

they only accept 20 people? does this mean high CA is needed to get accepted?
Old 04-09-2010 at 10:48 PM   #6
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

The enrollment is limited (although I'm not sure how limited), and you need a minimum of a 6.0 CA to be considered, but admission is based on marks, so your marks would need to be higher.
Old 04-09-2010 at 11:22 PM   #7
eyecandy

yeah, i asked and they said the average was 7.0 for last year.
You're in Environmental Science? how are you liking it ? I applied to Earth & Environmental Sci level II as well, but I don't get the difference between earth & enviro sci and enviro sci. It just says Chem is required for Earth and Enviro whereas it's not required for Enviro sci. I'm assuming Enviro sci is more like social science?
Old 04-09-2010 at 11:45 PM   #8
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

It's not like Social Science - you might be thinking of Geography and Environmental Studies. None of the course requirements beyond Level I (where you can take two Level I Geography courses to fulfill certain parts of the prerequisite) are Social Science, although both Earth Science and Environmental Science have cross-listed courses with Geography, a Social Science program. Things like GIS, for example, are offered as GEOG 2GI3, ENVIR SC 2GI3, and EARTH SC 2GI3.
Chemistry is necessary for admission to Environmental Science (you need grade 12 Chemistry or Chemistry 1R03), but you can choose to avoid certain paths from Level II onward that focus on Chemistry if Chemistry isn't your thing. However, many upper-year Environmental Science courses require Chemistry as a prerequisite.
Environmental Science has more Ecology-based requirements/options, whereas Earth Science has more Chemistry (and Physics, if you choose to take it), as well as Geology - which doesn't interest me in the slightest. They're really similar in some ways, and there are a LOT of cross-listed courses.
Old 04-09-2010 at 11:52 PM   #9
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Sorry, I think I accidentally veered off of Earth and Environmental Science into Earth Science. When I said Earth Science, I was referring to Earth and Environmental Science.
Old 04-10-2010 at 12:06 AM   #10
eyecandy

oh right. yeah geology doesn't interest me either. what do you plan on doing after undergrad? thanks for the info btw.
Old 04-10-2010 at 12:15 AM   #11
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Not a problem! Level II selection is really tough, especially between programs that are really similar.
I'm not totally sure what I want to do after my Undergraduate degree - I'm terribly indecisive (I've switched programs a couple times). I'm thinking of going for a Master's somewhere. There are a lot of jobs in Environmental Science, so luckily there are a lot of different things to do with a degree in that area. I'm currently looking at things like soil/water conservation, but the Ecology aspects have me scoping out conservational and ecosystem biology options too. Luckily I have a few more years till I have to figure out where my interests lay.
Old 04-10-2010 at 12:38 AM   #12
eyecandy

I'm very indecisive too.. I kept on going back and forth when I was applying for level II program. lol that sounds interesting! also, I hear in upper years, you get to go on a field trip for a few days or so. that should be interesting as well. I'm still hoping to get into bio&enviro science, cause I really wanna do bio as well. thank you!
Old 04-10-2010 at 08:23 AM   #13
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

hey when i said it only had 20 people in the program thats not because its limited thats just because theres not a lot of people in the program. If you have atleast a 6 avg you shouldnt have a problem getting into it