MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-10-2011 at 06:51 PM   #1
nh007

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem 2B03/2BB3
For anyone who has taken these courses:

Was the textbook useful? Sorry if this has already been asked but I used the search function and got no results.

Info on whether the organic chem 2OA3/2OB3, bio 2C03, and Chem bio 2P03 textbooks are useful would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:01 PM   #2
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

for orgo, it depends on whether the prof provides good lecture notes.
if the prof prof provides good notes, you won't need the textbook (especially for practice problems).
they post up tutorials/midterms/assignments which are much better practice/of higher priority than the textbook practice problems.

for genetics
the textbook was helpful for word problems like the three point cross but other than that it wasn't that helpful
some of the questions on the tests were actually derived from the tutorials
but overall i would get the textbook for genetics... but sell it after the course, the textbook is not a keeper. (unlike cell bio, biochem).

Last edited by BlueWave : 08-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:11 PM   #3
nh007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWave View Post
for orgo, it depends on whether the prof provides good lecture notes.
if the prof provided excellent notes, you won't need the textbook
Stover's teaching 2OA3 and Capretta's teaching 2OB3...do you know if these profs have good lecture notes?
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:13 PM   #4
BlueWave

no sorry i don't know...
although, when teri taught 2OB3 she used capretta's notes for the sugars chapter (chapter 22)
and the notes were pretty good
-i think you should buy the orgo textbook, it's pretty cheap anyways - around $47 from the tank (9th ed) and the 8th edition was even cheaper!
both are really good - and when they post textbook practice problems - they post it for both editions

Last edited by BlueWave : 08-10-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:14 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I used the textbook to clarify some information that was taught in class for 2B03. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary but I think it's good to have if you ever get confused. But I never used it to actually study, just to learn which can probably be done via the internet.
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:20 PM   #6
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

Biochem 2B03: Lecture notes are fine, textbook is for extra reading if you don't understand something that was in the notes..never really used it
Biochem 2BB3: Same book as 2B03 but definitely not needed

Orgos: Get the textbook regardless, and if you want to save money get an older edition..the profs are okay with it, they realize that there's not much difference between editions. Both stover and capretta have good lecture notes, but you'll notice that all of the mechanisms are straight from the textbook, so its good to get the book..that way you can read up on something if you dont get it in lecture. Get the book more for practice questions though...doing them will give you a stronger base for the practice tests/assignments that they post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 10:11 PM   #7
limelime

The orgo text has changed this year to a brand new text (1st edition), so a used copy may not really be an option. (http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTi...HEP001577.html)
Old 08-10-2011 at 10:59 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelime View Post
The orgo text has changed this year to a brand new text (1st edition), so a used copy may not really be an option. (http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTi...HEP001577.html)
You won't get assignments or anything from the textbook itself. The only downside of getting an older version is that you have to use the index to find the pages relevant to the material you are learning in class. So basically you have to spend an extra minute finding the page.
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:33 PM   #9
hamnahx02

2B03/2BB3: As long as you go to class... you don't need the text book. I used it once all year, and did really well in both classes. The class notes are all you really need. Its good to have if you need clarification on things, but you can easily google those things.

Orgo: I would say get it, I didn't fully use mine to their full potential and my marks suffered because of it i think.

Chembio 2P03: I would say def get it for the practice questions.. the content is covered well in class, but you do need to practice a lot, as most of the questions in the book are similar to Kruse's test questions... so i would highly suggest getting it
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:18 PM   #10
nh007

Ok I guess I'll skip out on the biochem textbook and get the other 3, thanks everyone!