Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biochem 3G03 BenScott 3rd Year Course Reviews 59 06-15-2015 09:01 AM

Biochem 3G03 or Hth Sci 3K03? Only room for one

Old 08-28-2009 at 09:06 PM   #1
Anaam

Liked: 4 Times

Biochem 3G03 or Hth Sci 3K03? Only room for one
Hello,
I need some advice on these courses. Both are offered at the same time so I can only take one of these. My semester is full so I am looking for a course with less of a workload but still fairly bird.

Hth Sci 3K03: Virology is being taught by Mossman,K and Lichty,B neither of whom is on ratemyprofessor.

Biochem 3G03 is taught by Yang and Bishop. And Yang has good reviews.

There isn't much on here about 3K03 or 3G03.

I need to decide this soon so any help would be appreciated. Which course is easier?

Thank you
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:20 PM   #2
tamneet

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaam View Post
Hello,
I need some advice on these courses. Both are offered at the same time so I can only take one of these. My semester is full so I am looking for a course with less of a workload but still fairly bird.

Hth Sci 3K03: Virology is being taught by Mossman,K and Lichty,B neither of whom is on ratemyprofessor.

Biochem 3G03 is taught by Yang and Bishop. And Yang has good reviews.

There isn't much on here about 3K03 or 3G03.

I need to decide this soon so any help would be appreciated. Which course is easier?

Thank you
I haven't taken Virology but Biochem 3g03 is very easy. Its possible to score an 11 or 12 just by studying. I had it with only Yang who is a really good prof, but on the first day he will tell you not to go to his lectures because really nothing from hislectures are on the tests. The lecture slides are posted a day in advance and he posts previous tests (4 of them for each of the 5 tests) and if you know how to do each and every question you're basically set for the tests. If they havent changed the course as they have added another prof, I would def. recommend taking this course if you're looking for something easy with a light workload.

Anaam says thanks to tamneet for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:23 PM   #3
Anaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamneet View Post
I haven't taken Virology but Biochem 3g03 is very easy. Its possible to score an 11 or 12 just by studying. I had it with only Yang who is a really good prof, but on the first day he will tell you not to go to his lectures because really nothing from hislectures are on the tests. The lecture slides are posted a day in advance and he posts previous tests (4 of them for each of the 5 tests) and if you know how to do each and every question you're basically set for the tests. If they havent changed the course as they have added another prof, I would def. recommend taking this course if you're looking for something easy with a light workload.

Do you happen to know the mark breakdown for the tests and the exam? Is it true that if you are happy with your test marks, you don't have to write the exam?
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:26 PM   #4
tamneet

Quote:
Do you happen to know the mark breakdown for the tests and the exam? Is it true that if you are happy with your test marks, you don't have to write the exam?
Yup that is true. Theres 5 tests in total. If you're happy with your marks for all 5 tests you dont have to write the exam and he counts each of the tests as 20%. However, if one of your tests are low and you dont want to include that in your overall mark, he allows you to take the 2nd option which is include the good tests and then write the exam.

Theres tutorials that are held before each test and those are def. worth going over. There's usually one per night around 3-4 days before the test. The TA's go over the questions on the sample tests that he posts.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:29 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Biochem 3G03 is really easy. I would highly recommend it.

Apparently you need it for cell physiology, which is a wonderful course. : )

Anaam says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:29 PM   #6
Anaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamneet View Post
Yup that is true. Theres 5 tests in total. If you're happy with your marks for all 5 tests you dont have to write the exam and he counts each of the tests as 20%. However, if one of your tests are low and you dont want to include that in your overall mark, he allows you to take the 2nd option which is include the good tests and then write the exam.

Theres tutorials that are held before each test and those are def. worth going over. There's usually one per night around 3-4 days before the test. The TA's go over the questions on the sample tests that he posts.

Awesome. THANK YOU so much for your quick response.
One last question, how much is there in terms of memorization? If you can comare it to a course you took, like cell bio perhaps or biochem 2ee3?

=)
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:32 PM   #7
tamneet

Quote:
Awesome. THANK YOU so much for your quick response.
One last question, how much is there in terms of memorization? If you can comare it to a course you took, like cell bio perhaps or biochem 2ee3?

=)
Honestly, there nothing to memorize other than knowing how to do every question on his practice tests. He usually repeats most of the questions with changes in words or numbers. To study I just skimmed over the chapters and his lectures and knew how to do the test questions. Dont rely completely on the practice tests however, because he likes to add new questions, so you do need to put in some work with reviewing his notes and general concepts in the textbook.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:35 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

The key is to understand the question rather than memorizing. A lot of people struggled with the pH questions because they memorized how to do the question rather than the principles behind it.

;__; I didn't really look at his notes or the text. I thought the TAs were really helpful.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:37 PM   #9
Anaam

Awesome, well I think I will settle for biochem, i don't know much about hth sci courses anyway.

thank you for your help guys. =)
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:40 PM   #10
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

You can get into virology? I've been checking since SOLAR opened for me and it's alwyas been full.
Old 08-28-2009 at 10:09 PM   #11
Anaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
You can get into virology? I've been checking since SOLAR opened for me and it's alwyas been full.
Yup, i got into it yesterday morning. They opened up seats I believed. Because all of a sudden, there were seats available.

This happened for immunology too, the day before, seats were available.

Today, Psych 3AC3 opened.

I suggest checking SOLAR around 11:30-1pm. Because I got into all these 3 courses that have been full for a while. I think around the end of august, they start adding more seats for specific courses.
Old 09-04-2009 at 07:57 PM   #12
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

have you dropped 3k03 already? if not, i would love to get into it!
Old 09-04-2009 at 08:38 PM   #13
Anaam

unfortunately I did. =(