biochem 3h03 textbook anubhagat Academics 0 01-01-2010 11:22 AM

Biochem 3H03 - helpful tips?

Old 01-04-2012 at 09:31 AM   #1
thehumanmacb

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem 3H03 - helpful tips?
I've read the course review for this class by SciMania here already,

And this comment particularly worried me:

I don't know how people saw this as a bird course. Macri's lectures weren't helpful at all, he would often talk about additional small details in lectures and put them on his midterm. Case studies were indeed interesting but it was purely memorization based; just had memo conditions and what disorder applied to it. Hill's lectures were better and more helpful.

the exam last year was horrible. there were many mistakes, seemed like they rushed the whole thing and there were a lot of repeats, which was good if you knew the answer and got free marks or it was disastrous since you got both wrong.

I was wondering if anyone could share tips on how to do well (getting 11-12) in this class? I've already bought the textbook, and the lack of TA sessions also are starting to worry me if we need clarification.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2012 at 01:53 PM   #2
thehumanmacb

bump please...
Old 01-05-2012 at 02:18 PM   #3
Annieloveedw

Liked: Liked 2 Times

wondering the same thing
and also, does the code in the book useful for doing well in this class?

thanks
Old 01-05-2012 at 02:25 PM   #4
tangl8

before the midterms, the profs will do several case studies. just jot down as many of them as you can because i remember they didn't post the case studies online in my year. most of the case studies will appear on the midterms
in the textbook, there are also several case studies for each chapter. so study them as well.
don't worry too much, i think you'll do well. this course turned out to be not as hard as i had thought.
good luck
Old 01-05-2012 at 03:37 PM   #5
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

I agree with the above. Don't skip class, especially for Macri's part. Yeah, he's dry to listen to but he does mention small details that aren't on the slides that he WILL test on. Make summaries of each topic you cover. Because this is predominantly a memory-intense course, the more repetition you have of the material (via going to class, making summaries, reading the textbook) the more familiar you become with the concepts. But having said that, you DO need to be able to know how to put all of the concepts together for the case studies. Definitely 11-able at the least, I was at an 11 but slacked for the exam. PM me if you have any questions or want notes or something .

Annieloveedw, McUsed, thahar all say thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 01-05-2012
Annieloveedw
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-06-2012 at 02:25 PM   #6
sambhuvan

is the book important?