MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology 3P03 Lois 3rd Year Course Reviews 25 02-09-2017 09:54 AM
Anthro 3P03 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 4 06-09-2014 11:48 AM
Textbook for Bio 3P03, Bio 3U03 necessary? BlueWave Academics 0 08-27-2011 05:10 PM
Should I have Chembio 3OA3 and Biochem 3P03 Labs on the same day??? biochemer Academics 7 08-09-2010 05:03 PM

Biochem 3P03 Review?

Old 06-01-2012 at 12:54 PM   #1
nh007

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem 3P03 Review?
Can anyone who has taken Biochem 3P03 post a full review for the course? I'm debating on whether or not to go into Biomed specialization and this course will probably be the deciding factor. Is it better than, worse than, or the same as 2L06 in terms of workload and time commitment?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-01-2012 at 01:35 PM   #2
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Ok well briefly, I thought it was better than 2L06, honestly its one of the best courses Biochem offers.

Its only 1 semester (unlike 2L06), but at the same time its 2 lab days, 4 hours each, per week (but no in class anything like that). Basically you have 8 hours a week (sometimes less depending on what you have to get done).

Your TA is a grad student in a lab in the department. For example my TA was part of the Wright Lab. Our project was to do basically what he was doing in the lab. He gave us a plasmid with a gene on it, we transformed it into E. Coli, grew it up, purified the protein, ran some SDS-PAGE/Western blots, and did an in vitro assay to test if it actually worked (it was a metallo beta-lactamase; basically antibiotic resistance gene). Anyways, it was actually a pretty cool project, every group obviously has a different TA, so everyone does something different, but the techniques are pretty much the same.

Workload I would say is somewhat less than 2L06, simply because our TA usually didn't expect our reports until a couple weeks later. They weren't in-depth or anything like that for 2L06 either, no pre-lab, just the purpose, procedure, observations, and maybe a one paragraph explanation of what happened. Every 2 weeks or so.

At the end you write a thesis paper, basically like 2L06, and then you have to present with your group your project to the other groups, as well as go to an interview, which is basically felicia, adam, and a different TA that ask you 3 questions about your project. In all honesty if you have done anything during the 4 months, these are very basic questions about your overall project.

This didn't end up being so brief haha, sorry. Anyways, its a good course, I liked it, I recommend it. It gives you a lot of experience in the lab techniques that are used every day in labs on campus, so if you plan on working in a lab its great experience.

kaitotst, nh007 like this.
Old 06-04-2012 at 08:49 PM   #3
nh007

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks a lot for the in-depth review!