MacInsiders Logo

Biological Science vol 1&2 vs vol 1 + vol 2 textbook?

Old 08-26-2010 at 05:27 PM   #16
omgmt

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nica View Post
Okay so I was going to buy those books (volume 1 & 2 biology) from a 2nd year student; until she claimed that the bio books from last year have changed and are dissimilar from what we are to use this year.... I was under the impression that only chemistry changed its edition (9th to 10th) and Biology was out of my worry. Now I want to clarify whether or not there is any truth to what she was saying -___-

Thanks in advance!
ah~ seriously?!
i already made a deal with a second year for her vol 1 & 2 bio book .....
hopefully it won't be too different
Old 08-26-2010 at 05:32 PM   #17
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nica View Post
Okay so I was going to buy those books (volume 1 & 2 biology) from a 2nd year student; until she claimed that the bio books from last year have changed and are dissimilar from what we are to use this year.... I was under the impression that only chemistry changed its edition (9th to 10th) and Biology was out of my worry. Now I want to clarify whether or not there is any truth to what she was saying -___-

Thanks in advance!
ohhhh I didn't know that it was different lol thanks for reminding me;;;
I guess our only option is to wail till first day of class and see what the prof says
Old 08-26-2010 at 05:33 PM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
ohhhh I didn't know that it was different lol thanks for reminding me;;;
I guess our only option is to wail till first day of class and see what the prof says
Um...she's going to tell you to buy the new version. She helped to write it and thus gets money for every copy sold. Not to mention the ego boost
Old 08-26-2010 at 05:35 PM   #19
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Um...she's going to tell you to buy the new version. She helped to write it and thus gets money for every copy sold. Not to mention the ego boost
Oh goood lord, another wallet damage :(
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:28 PM   #20
omgmt

i guess i'll get the new custom versions D:
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:40 PM   #21
omgmt

ah~ but again...
should i get the vol 1&2 together ? cuz i'm taking both bio 1a03 and 1m03 ...
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:45 PM   #22
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmt View Post
ah~ but again...
might as well get it together as a package
it's cheaper but I did some calculation and it turned out you only save like $5 if you buy it as a package
but save is a save
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:46 PM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmt View Post
ah~ but again...
Is buying them together cheaper than buying each one individually? If it works out to the same price, then it doesn't really matter at all. I'm pretty sure if you buy them together, it's two books packaged together, not one book with both vol 1&2 physically bound together, so if the price is the same, there is no difference.

Edit: Since they are cheaper, then buying them together seems like the obvious choice...
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:06 PM   #24
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Think of it like this:
This year's biology has to be same as last year's biology - you have to qualify for the same second and third year programs. She can't change the laws of chemistry or rewrite how mitosis runs. The content is going to be the same, but with maybe some additions (REAL WORLD EXAMPLE!!!1111).

Ask her like this: "How is the Custom edition an improvement?" or "Professor, what improvements have been made in this custom edition?" And she'll go on and on about how she knows what its like to be a first year and you should study like this.

Oh, I bet the "Applications" boxes are now "REAL WORLD EXAMPLES (c)"

Last edited by britb : 08-26-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:22 PM   #25
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Think of it like this:
This year's biology has to be same as last year's biology - you have to qualify for the same second and third year programs. She can't change the laws of chemistry or rewrite how mitosis runs. The content is going to be the same, but with maybe some additions (REAL WORLD EXAMPLE!!!1111).

Ask her like this: "How is the Custom edition an improvement?" or "Professor, what improvements have been made in this custom edition?" And she'll go on and on about how she knows what its like to be a first year and you should study like this.

Oh, I bet the "Applications" boxes are now "REAL WORLD EXAMPLES (c)"
Erm...in one of her tests, she decided that chromosomes would move to the middle of the cell AFTER the cell bursts. I was furious...every single resource I looked at had the two steps in the opposite order, but she decided that they happened in that order. Before our class wrote the test, the head TA person tried to tell her how messed up that question was, and how no one would get it right, but she didn't care.

I also wouldn't put it past her to test random details in the textbook, even though she hasn't really done that in the past...after all, she wrote the textbook.

Or maybe I'm just super-cynical. I am, at the very least, heavily biased