MacInsiders Logo

Biology 2A03- Animal Physiology

Old 11-13-2011 at 11:23 AM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I want to adapt one!! How can I do this?

Are you sure they kill mice...? I mean, that's animal cruelty right there.
They'll have forms for adopting mice during that week of the lab. I think the mice are killed (euthanised), otherwise they wouldn't put them up for adoption. Mice are pretty cheap to buy, I wouldn't be surprised if they cost less than 10$ (I'm talking about normal mice, they wouldn't need an actual lab mouse with certain genotypes or anything). A mouse cage on the other hand costs roughly 500$ per year (according to my professor who does research on mice). When I took 2A03, they had 3 mouse cages, which is 1500$. If they had like 30 mice (10 in each cage), that would cost 50$ per mouse which is way my expensive than just buying them every year.

Since we are a university, I'm certain that they have to follow the same protocols/regulations as researches when it comes to mice.

Last edited by jhan523 : 11-13-2011 at 11:26 AM.

jeboi7 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 11-13-2011 at 12:35 PM   #17
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
They'll have forms for adopting mice during that week of the lab. I think the mice are killed (euthanised), otherwise they wouldn't put them up for adoption. Mice are pretty cheap to buy, I wouldn't be surprised if they cost less than 10$ (I'm talking about normal mice, they wouldn't need an actual lab mouse with certain genotypes or anything). A mouse cage on the other hand costs roughly 500$ per year (according to my professor who does research on mice). When I took 2A03, they had 3 mouse cages, which is 1500$. If they had like 30 mice (10 in each cage), that would cost 50$ per mouse which is way my expensive than just buying them every year.

Since we are a university, I'm certain that they have to follow the same protocols/regulations as researches when it comes to mice.
Thanks for the info. Jhan, do you know how they euthanise them? I doubt they will give each mice a shot and humanely let them go. They might use gas chamber or something like that I'm guessing?

I also assume that they produce their own mice rather than getting them from elsewhere...would be much more cost effective.
Old 11-13-2011 at 01:07 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Jhan, do you know how they euthanise them? I doubt they will give each mice a shot and humanely let them go. They might use gas chamber or something like that I'm guessing?

I also assume that they produce their own mice rather than getting them from elsewhere...would be much more cost effective.
No idea, on wiki it says that inhalants or cervical displacement can be used. You can probably ask the biology department how they get their mice as well as how they deal with them after the experiments. I'm sure they would tell.
Old 11-13-2011 at 01:38 PM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
No idea, on wiki it says that inhalants or cervical displacement can be used. You can probably ask the biology department how they get their mice as well as how they deal with them after the experiments. I'm sure they would tell.
Check the Animal Care guidelines for the university. Im not sure where you can find them, but they should be public and will probably have that info. I know for some labs snapping the neck has been used (as in legit, research paper-pushing labs).

My partner did not handle the mice (she hates them), and its not a big issue. Actually it might be better to let one person do it, so the mouse gets accustomed (pick the calmer person, lol). They are much smaller than you think they are, and quite cute - you might find they are not scary at all! Try to pet one during the lab if you can, they are very well-tempered and only really bite if they feel like they are about to fall.

Like just about any animal, the trick is just paying attention, knowing who your actions might affect her (ie, let her grab onto the pole before moving, let her walk off instead of dropping her into the container if you can...) and that she's only going to lash out at you if you scare her or give her a reason. Animals generally don't look for fights with people, and as long as you are sensible about their needs, they'll be the same (ie, not biting, etc).

I would worry more about running into a vivisection (Bio 2L03, Bio 3U03)...then you'll be in real trouble...
Old 11-13-2011 at 01:44 PM   #20
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

are vivisection on live animal? I could never do that..

On a fetal pig, yes I can handle it.
Old 11-13-2011 at 01:48 PM   #21
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
are vivisection on live animal? I could never do that..

On a fetal pig, yes I can handle it.
Yep. There's a lab where you open up a frog and add hormones to its heart and see how it changes. You late cut out the heart and do a few tests on it.

University dissections are quite different from HS ones...