Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
History 3FF3 ardenelva 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 06-07-2010 10:09 AM

Biology 3FF3

Old 07-30-2008 at 10:16 PM   #16
summer

Liked: 1 Time

Biology 3FF3
This course was quite possibly the worst I have endured at university. Our first lecture began with the professor saying something along the lines of "This course is based on the textbook, as interpreted by my mind, and spewed out to you in my words". I should have seen the disaster coming.Click here to read the entire review
Old 09-07-2012 at 08:11 PM   #15
moomoodolls

I thought this was a well structured course, definitely considered a bird course if you have the interest in evolution
Old 01-07-2013 at 09:37 AM   #16
sbaker

Liked: 0 Times
Well structured and paced course, I would recommend it to everyone interested in biology. Dr Ston is very enthusiastic and approachable and seems genuinely interested in making sure that his students understand the material.
Old 05-12-2013 at 08:21 PM   #17
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times
hey does anyone have a course outline? i couldnt find one on the bio website... thanks!
Old 06-27-2013 at 11:13 AM   #18
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times
Is this course do-able without taking genetics?
(ie getting pre-req that waived)
Sounds really interesting
Old 07-08-2013 at 02:52 AM   #19
danielw

Liked: 0 Times
Took this course in 2012/2013 term 1. You can do this without genetics. There are genetics components involved but I think you will be fine with minimal extra reading.

TL;DR - Tutorials = free marks, Essay assignment marked very easily (imo), if you do every quiz / assignment and submit them on time you get a "yellow card" makes final exam worth 25% instead of 40 and you drop your lowest assignment mark. Quizzes wordy but answers found directly in the textbook READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY

here are my opinions on the course - While I thought this course was easy - DO NOT THINK THIS COURSE IS EASY BECAUSE THE EXAM IS OPEN BOOK AND THERE ARE NO MIDTERMS. this course was probably the most time consuming of all my courses last year because of the quizzes / assignments due every week.

the tutorials in this course were essentially free marks. you write a mini essay that was marked very easily (most people got 90%+) and the tutorial assignments were very easy if you put a little bit of thought / effort into them

dr. stone is very tedious and quirky in that the assignments will all be like "use exactly 9 words to describe how X affects Y) and the quiz questions were also worded somewhat confusingly. i worked on every quiz with some friends and I ended up getting perfect on all of them except for one but other people did much worse. Didn't get perfect on 3 of the 10 assignments, dropped one, other ones I got 11.5 or 11/12 so it was nbd.

all of the quiz answers are found directly in the textbook if you search hard enough (find the page in the textbook the question refers to and the answers are word for word in the text) so the only way to really get things wrong is to misread the question. for example one question says: Please mouseclick any and all responses that convey accurate information. The very next question will say Please mouseclick any and all responses that convey inaccurate information. a lot of people don't read and pick the "true" answers.

I was sick and had to defer the exam from december to february... so I lost the yellow card and wrote the 40% exam. still got a 12 which means I had to have got at least an 80% on it and I hadn't really looked at the material for 2 months. exam was easy if you know how to look through an index. some randomly hard questions but everything can be found in the textbook if you are familiar enough with it.

this course is easily 12able if you have some friends to do the quizzes with and a nice TA.. apparently one of them gives everyone shit marks for no reason.. was a girl i forget her name sorry.

Philipp31 says thanks to danielw for this post.
Old 07-11-2013 at 02:05 PM   #20
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times
would you happen to have the course outline from last year?
Old 07-20-2013 at 03:36 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
would you happen to have the course outline from last year?
There's a course outline and some more reviews here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=76935
Check it out!
Old 08-07-2013 at 06:55 PM   #22
sarahbenji

Took this class fall of 2012. I loved how it wasn't very heavily based on human evolution.
I would recommend focusing heavily on the quizzes and tutorial assignments, do them in groups its allowed.
EXAM
The exam is open book, but almost everyone does horribly on this. They were multiple choice questions, but most aren't based on one concept, but rather many from throughout the course. As a side not on my exam, the last question was the practice questions from the back of the textbook.
PROF/TAs
I had this class with Dr. Stone, who was definitely a smart individual, and easy enough to talk to. A lot of the marks you receive in this course ultimately depends on your TA. So make sure you have a good one! I had one who refused to give out decent enough marks, and i Found the prof was often remarking assignments graded by her.
This course is definitely easy to attain a good mark in provided you like the material.

Angoose likes this.
Old 09-04-2013 at 10:43 AM   #23
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times
Thoughts on the textbook?
Old 09-08-2013 at 03:32 PM   #24
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
How difficult was his exam? I remember having him for bio1m03, and his multiple choice questions were not worded very clearly, and he had multiple answers for each question (like, A and C, and B, and D). Is this the case for his testing style in 3ff3?
Old 06-04-2014 at 05:06 PM   #25
akhan676

Liked: 2 Times
Is the exam still open book for this course? Anyone who took it recently recommend this course?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search