MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Bio 3UU3 2009-2010 Review Taeyang 3rd Year Course Reviews 5 12-24-2013 03:11 PM
Psych 3UU3 bangbang Academics 3 11-01-2010 11:02 PM
Dropping Biology 3UU3 or Earth Sci 3J03? Let me know!! katesaidhi Academics 0 01-06-2010 09:39 AM
Bio 3U03/3UU3 dj_money Academics 0 06-23-2008 08:43 AM

Biology 3UU3

Biology 3UU3
Animal Physiology-Regulatory Systems
Published by summer
07-30-2008
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
40%40%40%
Professor Rating
30%30%30%
Interest
30%30%30%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 45%
Biology 3UU3

Mmmm, this course is hard to describe. I had it with Dr. Rollo (who sort of reminds me of a middle-aged surfer dude). This was one of the few courses I took in university where I came out feeling like I learned a LOT. Lectures can sometimes get dry, but that's more because of the structure of the course than the professor's fault ie. expect to spend about 6 lectures talking about sleep regulation and cycles. Lecture material pretty much just explains and simplifies material from the courseware ie. you don't really pick up extra info from lectures. Know the courseware really well and you will do extremely well.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Biology 3UU3!

Old 06-11-2009 at 06:40 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
The course material was very interesting and covered a variety of different topics. Plus, most physiology courses tend to cover human physiology; however, Butler used examples from a variety of different species - mammals, birds, invertebrates - you name it.

Butler - he's a good lecturer, but wouldn't turn his microphone up. 50% of the class couldn't hear him. The tests for this course were multiple choice, which isn't what he prefers. At times, the questions were kind of ambiguous at times and tested how well you interpreted the question rather than how well you understood the content. When there were issues with questions (such as wrong answers), he was very stubborn and refused to change them.
Old 06-16-2009 at 12:45 AM   #3
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times
I was going to add my own thoughts but Jesus pretty much has them all summed up for me.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:20 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Can anyone tell me if this course relies heavily on knowledge from Biology 2A03?
In addition, would this course be hard without any other specific Year 2 courses?
Would it be possible for a second year student to get a decent mark in this class, taking 2A03 at the same time?

Last edited by Marlowe : 07-14-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:22 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Can anyone tell me if Biology 2A03 is a prerequisite for this course?
In addition, would this course be hard without and specific Year 2 courses?
Would it be possible for a second year student to get a decent mark in this class?
Prerequisite(s): BIOLOGY 2A03, or both BIOLOGY 1A03 (or ISCI 1A24) and six units from KINESIOL 1A03, 1AA3 (or 1A06), 1Y03, 1YY3. BIOLOGY 2B03 (or MOL BIOL 2B03) and 2C03 are recommended.

So you need

Bio 2A03

or

Bio 1A03, Kin 1Y03 and Kin 1YY3
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:45 PM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times
I heard Rollo is back, so he is probably teaching the course for 2009/2010. I also heard that he is better...

I also took it last year (Winter 2009) with Butler. This commentary is probably useless since apparently he's retired, and he was just filling in a lecturing spot for Dr. Rollo and will likely never teach it again..

I definitely agree with jesus about the tests that Butler wrote. His lecturing was...unique...the microphone was annoying because he speaks quietly and it didn't work practically all the time, but it's BSB so that is kind of expected -_-". I didn't like how he made it super vague as to what material we were supposed to know for the tests. Many times, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to learn to what depth, but he kept saying something along the lines of if you were adequately interested in the material, you would want to know everything he was talking about. The material was interesting, but not what I expected to learn based on the course description.

35% midterm and 65% final exam, both multiple choice, is also not the best choice of course breakdown.

Last edited by nh999 : 07-14-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:52 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

The thing that was annoying about "knowing all the material" is that some of the material in the textbook contradicted what he thought. For example, he believes movement is the result of the contraction of a muscle. Yet, the book mentions things about flagella ...

Re: 2A03, I would definitely recommend taking it before 3UU3. I found 3UU3 a lot more difficult than 2A03 and there are concepts that you should know from the course. For example, McClelland didn't end up teaching muscles until the end of the course. In 3uu3, muscles were one of the first topics covered and in greater depth than 2A03.

You could take it concurrently, but your 3uu3 mark may suffer because of it.

Last edited by Lij : 07-14-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2009 at 04:14 PM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Thanks a lot!

Would you say that it has a chance of boosting my mark for 2A03 then?

But in all seriousness, would it be roughly equivalent to trying to do Bio 1A03 without high school bio? And is there information required from 1A03 that we would not be given in the textbook/lectures?
Old 07-14-2009 at 10:32 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Thanks a lot!

Would you say that it has a chance of boosting my mark for 2A03 then?

But in all seriousness, would it be roughly equivalent to trying to do Bio 1A03 without high school bio? And is there information required from 1A03 that we would not be given in the textbook/lectures?
Uh, I took Bio 12 in grade 11 so I didn't remember most of the material and I certainly didn't review. I thought that was fine.

From 1A03 to 3uu3, there's not much information that really translated. I didn't remember much from 1A03 except mitosis, and cell structures which is pretty much reviewed over 2b03/3p03, etc.

I think going from 1A03 to 3uu3 is a lot harder than high school to 1A03. 3rd year science courses are equivalent to 4th year science courses according to many graduate schools. So, you could take 3uu3 before 2A03 but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a difficult course and having a solid background is so important.
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:45 PM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

The reason I'm asking this is because I am potentially trying to switch into Nursing after my second year is done, which requires I have 2 anatomy/physiology courses.

To the best of my knowledge the only courses that qualify as this are:
-Kin 1Y03/1YY3 (this would be my first choice, but both are filled to capacity)
-Bio 2A03 (I'm already enrolled in this course)
-Bio 3UU3

If 2A03 was offered first semester and 3UU3 in second I would have no problems, but unfortunately both are only offered for second semester. If I can't get into 1Y03, that may be my only option if I don't want to add an extra year, or enroll in a school with different requirements.

With that in mind- would it be possible for me to do this and still get a high mark in the class if I'm willing to study my ass off? Or is the knowledge gap too big without 2A03?
Old 07-15-2009 at 08:28 AM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Ah, I see. It's hard to say whether you'd be able to get a high mark as I don't know how your background knowledge/studying habits are. If you work hard, you might be able to do well. I can't say for sure, for obvious reasons.

Have you tried e-mailing the kin department and asking for a waiver? Perhaps they can open a seat for you in Kin? That way you wouldn't have to deal with the 3uu3 gap.
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:03 PM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

Yep, the course is already filled to capacity. Since the actual profs run the labs as well they can't open up anymore of the lab sections, and all are full.

I can try waiting for someone on SOLAR to drop it, which is what I'm doing now, but if that doesn't work I need a backup plan.

I'm also emailing the department of nursing to see if there are any other courses I can take.
Old 07-23-2009 at 03:26 PM   #13
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Is this a course where reading the text book is useful?

Last edited by Fight0 : 07-23-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2009 at 06:46 PM   #14
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times
I took it with Dr. Butler, and I had to read the textbook because the notes I took in class were useless. In lectures he would put up a picture from the textbook with the figure number, and thats when I would go back to the text and read.
I ended up doing well in the course though, so reading the textbook helped me.

Fight0 says thanks to caroline54 for this post.
Old 07-23-2009 at 07:20 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

You need to get the textbook and go to class.

Class helped you focus on what was important, but the notes elaborated on what was said in class. There are no formal notes so the diagrams are important.

Fight0 says thanks to Lois for this post.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search