MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology & Environmental Science Level II program minji Academics 2 06-07-2010 07:52 PM
Honours Philosophy and Biology? (Know about this program) sinthusized Academics 3 12-20-2009 11:37 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
program size of honors molecular biology and genetics? shreya s. General Discussion 2 07-21-2009 01:24 PM

Biology math program

Old 03-07-2010 at 11:38 PM   #1
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Biology math program
Hey can anyone share any insight into this program and what it is? I'm interested in it but unfortunately, I didn't take one of the pre req courses.. does this mean I can't go into for second year? =(
Old 03-08-2010 at 11:11 AM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Which pre-requisite are you missing? (I'm willing to bet it's Math 1B03, haha)

Often times you can be given 'conditional' acceptance into the program, so long as you successfully complete the course during the summer.

Since there are only like 2 people in Bio-Math that I know of...I'm sure the department would be glad to make accomodations for you. (: If it's what you enjoy, apply away.

EDIT: Oh, and the explanation:

Bio-math is essentially using Math to model/explain certain biological phenomena. Things like models of disease transmission, epidemiology, population growth, things like that. Your job would be to look at a biological situation, and come up with the necessary math, and make predictions.

For instance, someone's recent thesis in bio-math was a hypothetical "How do we survive if zombies were to attack?" They modelled the situation and analyzed which response anticipated the greatest survival rate.

Your tools are grounded in Applied Math, so you'll use things called Differential Equations, and you'll study them thoroughly.

All in all, not my specific taste but if you like that kind of thing I've heard it's an excellent course of study.

Last edited by Mowicz : 03-08-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2010 at 11:46 PM   #3
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Which pre-requisite are you missing? (I'm willing to bet it's Math 1B03, haha)

Often times you can be given 'conditional' acceptance into the program, so long as you successfully complete the course during the summer.

Since there are only like 2 people in Bio-Math that I know of...I'm sure the department would be glad to make accomodations for you. (: If it's what you enjoy, apply away.

EDIT: Oh, and the explanation:

Bio-math is essentially using Math to model/explain certain biological phenomena. Things like models of disease transmission, epidemiology, population growth, things like that. Your job would be to look at a biological situation, and come up with the necessary math, and make predictions.

For instance, someone's recent thesis in bio-math was a hypothetical "How do we survive if zombies were to attack?" They modelled the situation and analyzed which response anticipated the greatest survival rate.

Your tools are grounded in Applied Math, so you'll use things called Differential Equations, and you'll study them thoroughly.

All in all, not my specific taste but if you like that kind of thing I've heard it's an excellent course of study.

ooo thanks!! who do I talk to for more info on this program? the math department or the biology department?