MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-21-2008 at 08:59 PM   #1
debie83

Liked: 0 Times

BioPharmacology?
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here is in Biology Pharmacology and could help me out with some questions?

First off, is there some general criteria for successfully getting into the program? And if you do get in, is it very hard to get good marks (the requirements and course load seem a little heavy)?

Also, I'm in a huge dilemma about a minor...because I really want to do one, but looking at the calendar for BioPharm I'm in serious doubts as to whether its successfully possible with their elective space (seeing as I need 8 courses in the minor I believe). So if anyone could help me out, I'd reallyyy appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2008 at 08:28 PM   #2
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey debie83. i'm in the biopharm program! well i'm going in for my third year. so i hvaen't taken any courses yet, so i wont' be able to help you out on that area yet. i'll let you know once class starts in sept.

As far as the applicatoin adn getting in to the program.

Well for the application, its generally just the same application for the coop people. if you go to this webiste, you'll find more information about it and even the application form:
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/coope...ive/apply.html

they just ask some general questions on the form. Everyone that passses the minimum grade average admissions will get an interview and its the interview that pretty much determines if you get it or not.

If you are missing any prerequsite courses, you shoudl speak with the coordinator about fulfilling it in the subsequent years using your electives. bio2a03 though should definately be taken before hand because you can't fall behind in the other physiology courses in 3rd year that needs it for prereq.

So the interview was with four important people all together. 1) Dr. Crankshaw- he's the biopharm coordinator 2) Dr. Wilson- she's one of the profs for biopharm and a coordinator 3) a graduating student 4) michelle who is the coop coordinator.

The question ranges from stuff like "what does problem based learning mean because its a big part of the program" "what experience do i have in pbl project" " what is pharmacology" "why do you want to be in the program" "biopharm is alot of hard work, what are you going to do to manage your time, "will you be willing to go somewhere else for your coop placement" and " what do you want to do after you graduate". kinda scarry with four ppl starring at you when you are taking in a small little room, but it was alright.

i think during second sem some biopharm students organize a meeting to talk to ppl about the program, etc for those that are interested in applying. so make sure you find time to go to those to get all the important information and to ask questions. hope that helps.. that's all i know so far. and here's the biopharm website: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/biopharm/

debie83, kmer all say thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-10-2008 at 02:32 AM   #3
debie83

Hey Eva!

So sorry it took me so long to reply! -- Thank you so much for all your help though, it was really great!! I'm definitely going to go to continue taking a closer look at the sites and the program.
Oh and I did go to their second semester info session in my first year (last year ) and I'm going to be going this year too since it was very helpful. Your information definitely added more though Any information after classes start would be very appreciated and a big bonus!
Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2008 at 09:58 AM   #4
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

no problem. you should remind me though. like post again or send me a private message when school has started for a bit and i'll definately tell you about it! just remember to remind me in case i forgot.. hopefully i won't be overloaded and stuff. good luck. by the way, if you have time in your second year, you can take science 2c00. its 1 hour a week for 7 weeks. just sitting there listing about stuff liek resume writing, etc. its required for any coop application. just thought you would want to know and take it earlier if you wanted to.
Old 06-22-2009 at 09:31 PM   #5
hikorystix

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this...

I'm going into second year but in first year, i dropped chemistry. So... I didn't have a full academic workload in first year. Does this mean I can't apply to pharmacy because of this?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-24-2009 at 06:51 AM   #6
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

if you look at the requirements, you have to take both organic chems to apply to the program, so if you dropped chem in first year you first have to go pick it up and do the orgo. and since orgo is first term, unless you are doing summer school now for the chem you probably wont be able to...
and its not pharmacy its pharmacology, they are a little different. the only pharmacy schools are Toronto and Waterloo I think..

hikorystix says thanks to Kareko for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 08:33 AM   #7
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Yeh... Waterloo and and UofT. Once your finished here you have to apply to the other universities.