MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Rebecca Black! e1337 General Discussion 18 07-20-2011 10:35 AM
Made By Mac Finalists Face The Judging Panel! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 02-27-2010 11:25 AM
What does everyone's face look like when they make a dump killza General Discussion 15 11-27-2009 01:24 AM
Two Hundred McMaster Sessional Professors Face LayoffI lorend Academics 64 07-23-2009 12:55 PM

Black face

Old 10-29-2013 at 03:20 PM   #1
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

Black face
Hey so driving to work a couple days ago and i heard a discussion about how a white celebrity dressed up as a black person from the show Orange is the new black for a costume. apparently she tanned or something to darken her skin for the costume, and there was a massive uproar about how insensitive her costume was, and how she should never impersonate a black person the way she did.
Am i the only person that thinks that people in today's society wake up every day just waiting to find something that they can be offended by? When an action is done with no malicious intent, why do people have to be offended by it?
I think our civilization is far too sympathetic to the people that are so easily offended and those people who do make it their mission to find offense where none is intended really need to stop complaining about situations that probably have absolutely no affect on their lives.

Sorry just an end of the work day rant and figured maybe some other people might want to voice their opinions on this instance, or any other related examples of this

mac_5555 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013 at 06:14 PM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

I'm not offended about Koreans or Japs wearing white face, why should anyone else be?
Old 10-29-2013 at 11:17 PM   #3
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Its not the fact that they are changing their skin tone, it's the history associated with 'blackface' costumes.

They date back to the vaudeville era when they were used by white actors to portray black people in an extremely stereotypical and degrading way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_face

Old 10-29-2013 at 11:51 PM   #4
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Ah..
Black-White history is always too complicated.
I'd rather not know it xD
Old 10-30-2013 at 10:34 AM   #5
BenDover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
Its not the fact that they are changing their skin tone, it's the history associated with 'blackface' costumes.

They date back to the vaudeville era when they were used by white actors to portray black people in an extremely stereotypical and degrading way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_face
Why should the actions of people 150 years ago dictate how we can act today? Back then yes, it was degrading what they were doing. Now though people use that as an excuse to harass others for actions which were made that are not insulting in any manner, nor are the malicious in intent.
Newsflash, we aren't living i the vaudeville era any more
Old 10-30-2013 at 11:49 AM   #6
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
I'm not offended about Koreans or Japs wearing white face, why should anyone else be?
Ever taken a history course? The reason you wouldn't be offended by that is because whites are not, and have never been a minority.
While most of us are striving for equality, the few people (like those who dress us as another race) still attempt to differentiate between races. When people do things like this, it makes it seem as though other races are of such a different species, that they can be made into a costume.

Anyway, I'm sure this is just done for some attention and publicity, so I don't care very much for it. Nonetheless, it is quite insensitive and not funny, nor clever whatsoever.

Amaryll says thanks to SweetyTweety for this post.

Old 10-30-2013 at 12:19 PM  
BenDover
Account Locked

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 10-30-2013 at 03:00 PM  
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

One of the other reasons black face is deemed unacceptable is because it degrades the whole culture and race down as an accessory, something used to enhance a costume. Especially for the actress in question, the character seems to be distinct in its own right (the hair), so why feel the need to colour your skin? It's completely unnecessary.
Old 10-30-2013 at 04:19 PM   #7
yoonbora

Liked: 11 Times

its 2013 and people still dont see the problem with blackface? lol...

Alomar12, Amaryll, jamescw1234, romita sur, toocute, tsmith all say thanks to yoonbora for this post.

Amaryll likes this.
Old 10-30-2013 at 06:22 PM   #8
chaosdum

Liked: 0 Times

To the person who said Canada was diverse, I think that only the big cities are eligible, the country as a whole, not so much.
Old 10-30-2013 at 08:41 PM   #9
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

What's wrong with it? I see nothing wrong...
Old 10-30-2013 at 11:17 PM   #10
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Neither did Bert Williams...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ckfa ce_2.jpg
Old 10-31-2013 at 07:35 AM   #11
BenDover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdum View Post
To the person who said Canada was diverse, I think that only the big cities are eligible, the country as a whole, not so much.
Hamilton isnt a "big city" in Canada, Kitchener isn't a "big city" they both seem pretty diverse to me just as a couple of examples.

The simple fact is that modern society is too sensitive today and takes offence to things that are not meant to be offensive in any way. If i want to dress up as a werewolf, should i know where any fur as that is offensive to dogs? If i want to dress up as Ron Weasley, should i not wear a ginger wig as that is offensive to red-heads? People need to get over themselves and stop looking for malice where none is present

mac_5555 likes this.
Old 10-31-2013 at 08:15 AM   #12
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhV1DavSRM

Epitome of black face.

Old 10-31-2013 at 01:40 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

People who dress up as the undead and alter their skin to mimic the appearance of a decaying corpse deeply offend me because my deceased relatives and ancestors are not among the living.

Also, guys who dress up as women for Halloween also offend me because I have female friends and there is a past history of discrimination and violence against women.

get over it, your argument is stupid