MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New Blackberry Tablet Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 10-02-2010 09:58 AM
Cisco for Blackberry monique Computers & Tech 4 05-11-2010 07:48 PM
How do I get cisco for my blackberry? saeeds5 Computers & Tech 11 03-31-2010 02:38 PM

Blackberry help..?

Old 03-20-2010 at 07:41 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Blackberry help..?
I'm looking at the Rogers website, trying to figure out how cheap I can get a Blackberry for. This is what I want to be able to do:

- surf the internet (wi fi)
- check my email
- make phone calls (I don't need long distance or anything like that, I'll be making VERY few calls)
- send and receive text messages

I've been playing around on the Rogers site for a while but it's very confusing (or I'm just very dumb ) Is there anyone who has a Blackberry that would be able to help me out? I would prefer if it wasn't a two or three years contract. I have no idea how much this will cost or what kind of plan I'm looking for.

(I would go into the store and talk to someone, but I'm wary of commission stores. I've been flat out lied to at Future Shop, and I don't want to be charged more than needed at a Rogers store).
Old 03-20-2010 at 07:54 PM   #2
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm looking at the Rogers website, trying to figure out how cheap I can get a Blackberry for. This is what I want to be able to do:

- surf the internet (wi fi)
- check my email
- make phone calls (I don't need long distance or anything like that, I'll be making VERY few calls)
- send and receive text messages

I've been playing around on the Rogers site for a while but it's very confusing (or I'm just very dumb ) Is there anyone who has a Blackberry that would be able to help me out? I would prefer if it wasn't a two or three years contract. I have no idea how much this will cost or what kind of plan I'm looking for.

(I would go into the store and talk to someone, but I'm wary of commission stores. I've been flat out lied to at Future Shop, and I don't want to be charged more than needed at a Rogers store).
I have a BB bold 9000 from rogers on a 3 yr contract and cost me $99.99 (atm its 124.99 for 3 years).

Since you do not want to buy your phone on contract, buying from the rogers will cost you $549.99 with tax. But if you do that I will suggest you buy Bold 9700 (newer model) from Wind Mobile as its only 450+ tax (and i think its canadian dollars as well) so much cheaper.

Wifi on BB Bold works fine, although recently I upgraded my OS to a newer one and am having trouble connecting on MacConnect (Cisco hasnt updated their system with BB OS 5.0). When you buy it it will most likely be OS 4.6 so it should be fine. I think Wifi is the same as the iPhone.

BB Browser has been critcized as it is not up to par with the iPhone/Nexus browser, but BB annouced new browser version to be released in next 3-6 months and supposedly has a better rating.

BB is awesome if you need it for email (<3).

As for calling/txt msgs you can get their $30 voice plan (100 mins + 50 bonus mis + wk/eve after 9p + 1000 sent msgs + ultd recieved mgs). However, Wind mobile is currently offering $150 if u cancel your contract with rogers, so tell that to rogers and I am sure they will offer you a much better deal (i got 250 mins + eve/wk 5pm + ultd texts for $25) from them by telling em about wind offer.

Besides that you will have to go on a contract if you do decide to get a rogers plan. If u want a good plan and not a contract go with Wind Mobile.

Some useful links

rogers bb bold 9000
http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...+11+4294967111

Wind BB Bold 9700
http://shop.windmobile.ca/ProductCat... 0&color=green

Rogers BB Bold 9700
http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...+11+4294967111

Last edited by ice8 : 03-20-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2010 at 10:08 PM   #3
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
Wifi on BB Bold works fine, although recently I upgraded my OS to a newer one and am having trouble connecting on MacConnect (Cisco hasnt updated their system with BB OS 5.0). When you buy it it will most likely be OS 4.6 so it should be fine. I think Wifi is the same as the iPhone.
So that's why my 9700 can't connect to MacConnect! T_T

I have a 3 year contract with Rogers for a Blackberry 8800 (really old model) but I got a new phone because my bill was really high with the contract I had...my 8800 had no wifi so it ate up a lot of data. :( I'm pretty sure I paid full price for the phone....but my bill says my contract is expiring in April. :| ice8 pretty much summed everything else up
Old 03-21-2010 at 04:33 AM   #4
larp

Liked: 8 Times

Bold 9700 from Wind is $450, no contracts. It's been working really well for me so far.
Old 03-21-2010 at 06:04 AM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Not sure how the Rogers situation is right now, but I got a Blackberry from Rogers for $0 on a three year plan back in last June. For $78 per month I get:

- 250 anytime minutes
- unlimited evenings (after 9pm) and weekends.
- unlimited text messaging
- unlimited email
- unlimited instant messenger
- 100 long distance minutes
- Call display, enhanced voice mail,
- My5 local
- free wi-fi

(NOTE: I don't have a landline and use only my cell phone, which is why I'm willing to pay so much, obviously your situation will be different)

The only thing I don't have (or want) is browsing on the wireless network.

Again, I'm not sure what the situation is like with Rogers right now, but looking at what I have for under $80, you should be able to get what you're looking for for a decent price. Give them a call; you can see what deals they can offer you. Don't be afraid to haggle a little bit.

Also, shop around. If you can get one of the other companies to offer you a sweet deal, you might be able to leverage Rogers into beating it.

Last edited by Taunton : 03-21-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:28 AM   #6
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Not sure how the Rogers situation is right now, but I got a Blackberry from Rogers for $0 on a three year plan back in last June. For $78 per month I get:

- 250 anytime minutes
- unlimited email
- My5 local
- free wi-fi

(NOTE: I don't have a landline and use only my cell phone, which is why I'm willing to pay so much, obviously your situation will be different)

Again, I'm not sure what the situation is like with Rogers right now, but looking at what I have for under $80, you should be able to get what you're looking for for a decent price. Give them a call; you can see what deals they can offer you. Don't be afraid to haggle a little bit.

Also, shop around. If you can get one of the other companies to offer you a sweet deal, you might be able to leverage Rogers into beating it.

I'm going to suggest you're over paying.

I have a bold 9700 with Rogers. Blows the 9000 out of the water. I am a heavy data user.

for 75 bucks a month I get

200 anytime mins
unlimited evenings and weekends
10000 text messages, 1000 picture messages
my5 nation wide- ( unlimited talk, text, mms anywhere in Canada)
enhanced voice mail,caller ID, call waiting
500 megs of data- even though I'm a heavy user, I rarely go over 150 a month and that's with a lot of downloading, gps'ing, emailing, and surfing in general.
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:58 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Has anyone considered any of the plans with Telus, bell or Virgin? Why or why not?

http://www.telusmobility.com /en/ON..._in dex.shtml
http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/plans/smartphone.html
http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWl...&lang uage=en

I'm thinking of getting a blackberry as well when my current contract expires in June. My issue is, I guess, that I'm moving out west, so I'm wondering if one plan is better than the other for out there.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 03-21-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2010 at 11:02 AM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I have a Telus cell phone right now and I hate it. The service sucks. It takes up to A DAY to send a text message to someone across campus .. so lame.
I'm looking into Bell as well.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 03-21-2010 at 11:05 AM   #9
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Telus actually has a really good plan they're offering right now for $40/month, no system access fee, free handset activation (normally $35), one month unlimited calling, voicemail, 3way, and your choice of other options depending on either of the plan you choose.

https://www.telusmobility.com /en/O...q2plrotbbs oc

I'm actually looking at signing a contract they have the black berry curve for $24 with a 3 year contract, and black berry tour for $79. The only black berries I saw on their website that have wi-fi are the black berry storm 2 and the bold, but even on a 3yr contract your paying much more for the phone.

I think I'm personally going to get the tour because they're offering me specials to transfer to a contract of $150 off my monthly bills, and free caller id for 3 years. Also the bold and the storm 2 come with SIM cards, and what I love about telus is their phones don't have SIM cards. So if you ever lose it/it gets stolen (which happened to me before with a crappy nokia slider), once you report it stolen no one can use the phone. When my old slider got lost a few months after I got a call from telus telling me to come pick up my phone in woodbridge because someone tried to activate it and they kept the phone to give back to me.

Telus has other smartphone plans starting at $50/month, and what I like about the plans they are offering is you can somewhat customize them/change your plan.

http://www.telusmobility.com /en/ON...es/index.shtml

Instead of double your minutes, you can add unlimited nationwide talk and text to 5 numbers which is great for long distance calls. The $40 limited offer plans offer this as well.

lorend says thanks to shes-a-diva* for this post.
Old 03-21-2010 at 12:06 PM   #10
Furgs

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
I think I'm personally going to get the tour.
I've heard that the tour has problems after a few months, usually with the track ball getting stuck which gets really frustrating. If it's not a big deal I would suggest the new Bold, the new track pad won't give you problems and RIM plans on refreshing their tour model and other phone models in the summer most likely.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to Furgs for this post.
Old 03-21-2010 at 12:06 PM   #11
gholitf

Liked: Liked 4 Times

A question about BB:

currently, I dont have a data plan so in order to avoid accidental entry into the brwser, I disabled it. The problem is that it won't allow me to use wi-fi. Is there any way around this? for instance, if I enable it again and use wi-fi, how would I know I'm using the data from wi-fi, not the 3G.
Old 03-21-2010 at 12:31 PM   #12
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

I pay $65 a month or so total and my plan is:

250 Weekday minutes
Unlimited Weekends and evenings starting at 6
1000 Long distance minutes
500 Mb data
Call Display
Voicemail
Call waiting
Unlimited Text messaging
Old 03-21-2010 at 01:02 PM   #13
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
I'm going to suggest you're over paying.
Thanks Bro. Srsly, you're paying $3 less than me.
Old 03-21-2010 at 03:03 PM   #14
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post

- 250 anytime minutes
- unlimited email
- My5 local
- free wi-fi

I have the same plan but without my My5 and Im paying $25+tax, and eve/wkends at 5pm. 5 month old rogers customer.

Not sure what enhanced VM is but i just have plain VM.

If ur still on contract, just call up rogers and say u wanna cancel the plan and they will say it will be $400 and ask why. Tell em that wind is giving $150 credit to anyone who cancels contract w other company and they will whine that wind's coverage sucks and w/e what not. Just ignore that until they ask wind's plan ($35 for ultd calling/call ID) and they wll say if u wanna see if rogers can match their offer, say yes and just listen to their offers until u like one. Be nice but affirmative at the same time.

Make sure ur talking to the retention dept cuz customer service cant help u much.
Old 03-21-2010 at 06:16 PM   #15
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Enhanced VM sends you a text message that has the voice message typed out so that you don't have to call the voice mail number to retrieve your message.