MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-20-2009 at 01:03 PM   #1
endearing66

Liked: 1 Time

BMO vs RBC?
Hello

well its gonna be my first year in mac. i m thinking of new student account. Can you please suggest me for which bank should i go for, looking at its all over service.. and easy access too, as i am living in campus..

Thanks

Old 07-20-2009 at 01:10 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by endearing66 View Post
Hello

well its gonna be my first year in mac. i m thinking of new student account. Can you please suggest me for which bank should i go for, looking at its all over service.. and easy access too, as i am living in campus..

Thanks
If you want easy access, then CIBC has a monopoly on campus. But there is TD and RBC, I think Scotiabank too, nearby in Westdale.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/ma...udent_banking/

That should help but it might be out dated. You can always check each bank's website for more information.

I personally use PC Financial which is a branch of CIBC. They don't have monthly fees or minimum balances and they have unlimited transactions.
Old 07-20-2009 at 01:10 PM   #3
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Do yourself a favour and go with PC.

macbaby07 likes this.
Old 07-20-2009 at 01:13 PM   #4
endearing66

Liked: 1 Time

which bank is easiest to access??? is any of the bank atm or any type of branch is in the campus?

Old 07-20-2009 at 01:13 PM   #5
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I don't know about other banks, but RBC has a student banking account with no monthly fees. And they have a student line of credit that's a pretty good deal.

CIBC is the only bank with ATMs on campus (these ATMS can be used with a President's Choice banking account as well). RBC has an ATM at the Tim Hortons/gas station on the corner of Leland (by ITB).
Old 07-20-2009 at 02:08 PM   #6
mhl92

Liked: 0 Times

RBC also offers a student credit card without monthly fees if you sign up for their student banking account. I'm not sure if other banks have this program but I know for sure that RBC does. Although, depending on your level of self-control, the credit card can turn out to be really useful...or it could turn out to be a real disaster. lol

Old 07-20-2009 at 02:18 PM   #7
myster

Liked: 10 Times

PC Financial Bank Account along with a PC Financial credit card is the best for students imo (as long as you're not an idiot with regards to personal finance).

A credit card that has no monthly fee and a 1% credit towards groceries which can be paid directly from your PC bank account is an awesome deal for students.

Melanieee likes this.
Old 07-20-2009 at 04:21 PM   #8
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

if this helps your decision: your a sports fan and hockey is your sport go with RBC (TEAM CANADA!!)... if its soccer go with BMO (TFC!!!).

i know its random.
Old 07-20-2009 at 05:33 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

PC is good as there are CIBC machines on campus.

TD also has a no-fee account and Westdale is only a walk away. They're good if you need to talk to a teller about exchanging money or needing money orders. They're a hassle to get through PC. :|
Old 07-20-2009 at 05:42 PM   #10
leek43

Liked: 0 Times

I use a BMO student credit card. It has SPC (Student Price Card) that gives you discounts on a whole bunch of places and you can choose to get cash back or air miles on top of the SPC.

-CIBC also has unlimited transactions for students.
Old 07-20-2009 at 05:51 PM   #11
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

For convenience sake, get a CIBC based card for campus to avoid ATM charges. After you graduate, you can go look for a better bank if you want.
Old 07-20-2009 at 05:58 PM   #12
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

As everyone has been saying, CIBC is by far the most convenient bank.

You can get the student account, which not only has unlimited transactions, but also no monthly fees.

Just to clarify on an earlier post, Westdale does in fact have a Scotiabank, but there is also has a CIBC for ultimate convenience...