MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post books you're reading/just read. :D andrew22 General Discussion 19 01-30-2014 04:20 PM
when is reading week over? 3am Coffee General Discussion 24 02-26-2012 11:40 PM
Purchase Summer School Books/ Books For Next Year Early! mel89 Academics 0 04-15-2011 01:22 PM
Am I reading this right? Ziggi Academics 15 03-03-2011 02:26 AM

what books is everyone reading?

Old 06-15-2014 at 11:58 AM   #1
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

what books is everyone reading?
Anyone enjoy books? I have started reading books again.
Currently reading " the wealthy barber returns" and " capital in the 21st century. What books did you find good or informative ?

LTHL likes this.
Old 06-15-2014 at 12:27 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I'm slowly re-reading Lord of the Rings as my bedtime book. I keep dreaming about orcs and ents. IT's a little disconcerting. Other than that, I'm reading ahead for next year/doing research for my USRA.

Chad, gkjagdev, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 06-15-2014 at 02:03 PM   #3
Fennec

Liked: 0 Times

I'm currently reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is a really insightful book so far and the author has a really good sense of humor in my opinion. There is also Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, a collection of 24 short stories by Haruki Murakami. Some of the stories are an eye opener, some are twisted, and some just require a lot of thought into them but over all the stories are really captivating and short. Also most of the stories are open ended so it leaves it to your imagination. And I just finished reading Norwegian Wood by the same author in which it honestly left me with a umm... a weird twisted feeling about the whole story but I still really enjoyed it.
Old 06-15-2014 at 02:34 PM   #4
mac_5555

Liked: 3 Times

mistborn series, and the last book of asoiaf series.
Old 06-15-2014 at 11:09 PM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I just started I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. Seems pretty great so far!
Old 06-16-2014 at 10:39 AM   #6
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

Cutting for Stone
Old 06-16-2014 at 05:58 PM   #7
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Currently, The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.

Planning to reread East of Eden by Steinbeck after that because I'm planning to get a tattoo from the book for my graduation and I want to make sure the idea still appeals to me since I haven't read the book for a few years. It's an all-time favourite.
Old 06-16-2014 at 11:18 PM   #8
CrystalLucia9

Liked: 0 Times

Fault in our Stars by John Greene
Old 06-17-2014 at 07:52 AM   #9
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_5555 View Post
mistborn series, and the last book of asoiaf series.
Have you tried the Stormlight Archive? It is glorious and wonderful, and if you haven't you should check it out after Mistborn. I thought Mistborn gave me an endorphin rush--it was nothing compared to Stormlight.

This year I've gone through everything by Brander Sanderson except for his Alcatraz series, since it's aimed at children. I then took a break from new books (during which I re-read Stormlight twice) and recently started Malazan Book of the Fallen. Wanted the break before I dived into Malazan because the series is quite long.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 06-17-2014 at 01:41 PM   #10
patriots4eva

Liked: 5 Times

I read the women of the otherworld series, it was amazing!!
Old 06-17-2014 at 03:29 PM   #11
mac_5555

Hey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Have you tried the Stormlight Archive? It is glorious and wonderful, and if you haven't you should check it out after Mistborn. I thought Mistborn gave me an endorphin rush--it was nothing compared to Stormlight.

This year I've gone through everything by Brander Sanderson except for his Alcatraz series, since it's aimed at children. I then took a break from new books (during which I re-read Stormlight twice) and recently started Malazan Book of the Fallen. Wanted the break before I dived into Malazan because the series is quite long.
Ohh no. I haven't tried The Stormlight Archive yet but it does seem appealing especially with the whole class / hierarchy theme. I will definitely try it out after Mistborn series (I am about to be done with that in two weeks). Also, I have heard some excellent stuff about Malazan Book of the Fallen but never got the chance to try it due to the enormous number of volumes and books. My friend who recommended Mistborn to me had pretty good things for Malazan. Let me know how it is.

Have you read The Silmarillion? I just bought it and was planning to read it after Mistborn.
Old 06-17-2014 at 03:37 PM   #12
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_5555 View Post
Ohh no. I haven't tried The Stormlight Archive yet but it does seem appealing especially with the whole class / hierarchy theme. I will definitely try it out after Mistborn series (I am about to be done with that in two weeks). Also, I have heard some excellent stuff about Malazan Book of the Fallen but never got the chance to try it due to the enormous number of volumes and books. My friend who recommended Mistborn to me had pretty good things for Malazan. Let me know how it is.

Have you read The Silmarillion? I just bought it and was planning to read it after Mistborn.
I would also highly recommend some of Sanderson's stand-alones and short stories for a quick read! I've read the Silmarillion. It was lovely, but not in the way that Stormlight was adrenaline-pumping and endorphin-inducing for me. Books that induce that response for me are my favourite.

mac_5555 says thanks to Amaryll for this post.

mac_5555 likes this.
Old 06-18-2014 at 02:15 PM   #13
LTHL

Liked: 2 Times

Kevin's o'leary books. Even though he probably had them ghostwritten, the writing is kind of hilarious.
Old 06-18-2014 at 08:41 PM   #14
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Trying to read some of the classics by this summer
-David and Goliath, Wuthering Heights, Catch 22, are some of them!

But im reading Crazy Rich Asians right now by Kevin Kwan!
Old 06-21-2014 at 09:50 AM   #15
afireinside

Flash Boys by Michael Lewis.