MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TOP ART schools in Ontario/Canada jujumiste Academics 9 07-20-2010 01:06 PM
Practice Tests/Old Tests crazyfree Academics 3 02-04-2010 09:58 PM
Med schools.. ishk33 General Discussion 7 08-20-2009 08:25 PM
Med Schools in United States Dishes General Discussion 31 06-28-2009 10:00 PM
First Year Science Tests - Part 2 (Practice Tests) Sarah A. Academics 0 09-03-2007 09:31 PM

Breathalyzer Tests in Schools?

Old 10-18-2009 at 03:08 PM   #1
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Breathalyzer Tests in Schools?
A school in the US has informally agreed to start administering breathalyzer tests on students suspected of drinking (link). Any student who blows over .02 would be suspended for 5 days.

What do you think about this? Is it a good way to curb drinking in teens, or is the school/government going too far?
Old 10-18-2009 at 03:21 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

That's going too far. Breathalyzer tests administered by police are designed to save lives, this is schools trying to promote social reform. What someone does outside of school should really be not be the school's business.
Old 10-18-2009 at 04:27 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I think it's a good idea, albeit a little extreme.

The drinking age is 21 in the US so obviously most people who appear drunk are probably drunk illegaly. If they're drinking on campus, yea, I do think there should be repercussions. It's private property technically, right? (I think).

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-18-2009 at 04:59 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Is it against the rules to be drunk on campus if you aren't underage? That seems a little stupid when most universities have on campus bars.

Either way, its a stupid idea.
Old 10-18-2009
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-18-2009 at 05:02 PM   #5
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

oh interesting.. but do a lot of kids really come to school drunk? I dunno, that never happened in my high school, (a lot of people come to school stoned though.)

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-18-2009 at 05:59 PM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Is it against the rules to be drunk on campus if you aren't underage? That seems a little stupid when most universities have on campus bars.

Either way, its a stupid idea.
The video and this policy is in regards to Highschools.

I think, if there's a big enough drinking problem at a highschool that this is needed, then the school should go for it, but I don't support it being a blanket policy for all highschools.
Old 10-18-2009 at 06:36 PM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Oh, missed that part, lol.

I still think its a bad idea, if the student is drunk enough to be a problem, they are probably drunk enough that a breathalyzer would only confirm the obvious. If a kids had a few drinks but it isn't causing him to act like a huge drunk, I don't see a problem. I'm sure there is a bit of drinking in every high school, but it doesn't cause a problem most of the time.
Old 10-18-2009 at 06:39 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Oh, I thought it was for universities. O_O

I think it's a good idea in theory. Being drunk in school should definitely have consequences.

But I mean... If a kid is drunk at school, then he probably doesn't care much for it anyways... don't really see what a suspension would accomplish. =P

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-18-2009 at 06:55 PM   #9
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
A school in the US has informally agreed to start administering breathalyzer tests on students suspected of drinking (link). Any student who blows over .02 would be suspended for 5 days.

What do you think about this? Is it a good way to curb drinking in teens, or is the school/government going too far?
I think it's a great idea. It will definitely make students think twice about coming to school drunk.
Old 10-18-2009 at 07:22 PM   #10
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
I still think its a bad idea, if the student is drunk enough to be a problem, they are probably drunk enough that a breathalyzer would only confirm the obvious. If a kids had a few drinks but it isn't causing him to act like a huge drunk, I don't see a problem. I'm sure there is a bit of drinking in every high school, but it doesn't cause a problem most of the time.
I think I'd have to agree with you Andrew. A blood alcohol level of 0.02 would not actually have any noticable affect on most people (think about it... you can drive without consequence if you blow 0.02). And as such, these students would not actually act out in class due to the alcohol, it would be themselves acting out, essentially not under the influence.

Since a blood alcohol level of .02 would not be noticable in terms of behaviour, this policy would assume that any student who blows at this level will continue to drink either at school, or away from school and continue to attend classes. (Since removing the student on the grounds of being intoxicated would assume a higher blood alcohol level). This is a pretty big assumption, since it's feasible that a student could go home for lunch, have a glass of wine (it's certainly possible, depending on their culture) and then go back to school and blow at or over 0.02.

Also, I'd like to note that for most Amercian states, private consumption of alcohol by minors is not illegal, it's the purchase of alcohol that is illegal. Almost all states allow the consumption of alcohol by minors if approved/given directly by certain family members.

Only Idaho, Utah, Arizona, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Indiana, Tennessee, Alabama, Vermont, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and the District of Columbia ban consumption outright. In every other state, it is legal for minors to consume alcohol at least under some circumstances.

Since this school is in Massachusetts, it's not illegal for minors to consume alcohol.

On the arguments presented above, I disagree with the policy. It would be more appropriate for there to be a requirement that the student in question at least appear drunk, or more objectively, blow at a higher level (like 0.05 or 0.08).

Last edited by Taunton : 10-18-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2009 at 08:43 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I agree with rrtt. If this was universities, it would be a little different, especially getting into the whole legal/of age thing. But this is high school, so they should definitely have the right to do that. No high school student should be showing up to school drunk/after drinking, that's for sure.
Old 10-18-2009 at 09:58 PM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

But if they're drunk enough that you can tell they've been drinking, then a breathalyzer is irrelevant.

If they aren't drunk enough for people to notice, then there is no problem.
Old 10-19-2009 at 08:36 AM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
But if they're drunk enough that you can tell they've been drinking, then a breathalyzer is irrelevant.

If they aren't drunk enough for people to notice, then there is no problem.

But if someone is suspended because they're acting like they have been drinking, they could come back at the school and say they have no "proof" and that they shouldn't have been suspended. I'm guessing the breathalyzer is just to prove that the student is actually drunk.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:26 PM   #14
Marlowe
Elite Member

I somehow can't see any one taking the "I was only pretending to be drunk, and didn't stop even after they told me I was being suspended" excuse seriously. If some one actually tried to make a fuss out of it, I'm sure the school could turn it from a "suspension for intoxication on school grounds" into "suspension for extreme disruptive behaviour" or something along those lines.