MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TOP ART schools in Ontario/Canada jujumiste Academics 9 07-20-2010 01:06 PM
Practice Tests/Old Tests crazyfree Academics 3 02-04-2010 09:58 PM
Med schools.. ishk33 General Discussion 7 08-20-2009 08:25 PM
Med Schools in United States Dishes General Discussion 31 06-28-2009 10:00 PM
First Year Science Tests - Part 2 (Practice Tests) Sarah A. Academics 0 09-03-2007 09:31 PM

Breathalyzer Tests in Schools?

Old 10-19-2009 at 03:00 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I somehow can't see any one taking the "I was only pretending to be drunk, and didn't stop even after they told me I was being suspended" excuse seriously. If some one actually tried to make a fuss out of it, I'm sure the school could turn it from a "suspension for intoxication on school grounds" into "suspension for extreme disruptive behaviour" or something along those lines.
I see what you're saying Andrew, but if you're going to suspend someone, you need proof. "Oh, they appeared drunk" isn't going to stand by the crazy parents who think their child would NEVER do ANYTHING bad.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Kathy2 says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 10-19-2009 at 05:50 PM   #17
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

What's a great way to get school attendance back up? Force a breathalyzer on them!
Old 10-19-2009 at 10:49 PM   #18
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I see what you're saying Andrew, but if you're going to suspend someone, you need proof. "Oh, they appeared drunk" isn't going to stand by the crazy parents who think their child would NEVER do ANYTHING bad.
Which was the point of my post. If someone tries to argue that their kid wasn't drunk, the school can just say: "Oh, our mistake. Your child was only pretending to be drunk. In that case we will rescind the 3 day suspension we gave him for Intoxication on School Grounds. However, your child acting drunk disrupted class, promoted alcohol use, etc. He now has a 3 day suspension for Extreme Disruption of Class".
Old 10-19-2009 at 11:01 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Which was the point of my post. If someone tries to argue that their kid wasn't drunk, the school can just say: "Oh, our mistake. Your child was only pretending to be drunk. In that case we will rescind the 3 day suspension we gave him for Intoxication on School Grounds. However, your child acting drunk disrupted class, promoted alcohol use, etc. He now has a 3 day suspension for Extreme Disruption of Class".
I highly doubt a kid would ever get a suspension like that with those reasonings. Even if they did, their parents would throw their stupid little hissy fits.

If I pretend to be high, I expect my locker to get searched for drugs. If you pretend to be drunk, expect someone to find proof of it. Especially on school grounds. I don't see anything wrong with making the kids take breathalyzers. If you're gonna be stupid, expect some consequences. I'm annoyed with the "but people have rights" arguments. You forfeit them when you act like a total tool. >_<

Dunno how it is in the states, but even at our school... how many times have people been suspended for being SO disruptive? I don't recall an incident.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-20-2009 at 12:32 AM   #20
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I highly doubt a kid would ever get a suspension like that with those reasonings. Even if they did, their parents would throw their stupid little hissy fits.

If I pretend to be high, I expect my locker to get searched for drugs. If you pretend to be drunk, expect someone to find proof of it. Especially on school grounds. I don't see anything wrong with making the kids take breathalyzers. If you're gonna be stupid, expect some consequences. I'm annoyed with the "but people have rights" arguments. You forfeit them when you act like a total tool. >_<

Dunno how it is in the states, but even at our school... how many times have people been suspended for being SO disruptive? I don't recall an incident.
Yeah, but our school also had people not being suspended for drinking on school grounds, so we might not be the best example

I'm pretty sure Steven Gruel got a suspension in elementary school though for extreme disruptiveness or something along those lines. He threw a desk though, which is probably tad worse than acting drunk.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:56 AM   #21
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
No high school student should be showing up to school drunk/after drinking, that's for sure.
What's wrong with having a drink or 2? I was legal age before I finished high school, and I'd stop for a beer on the way back from field trips. We also had a bar across the street that I'd go to for lunch sometimes, and have a beer or 2 with friends at lunch. Never went to class drunk or tipsy, and I was legal age. Why should it be an issue if the student is legal and not obviously drunk? Im pretty sure I was well above 0.02 when I'd get back from lunch, and never caused a problem.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 11:15 AM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

If they are underage it makes sense but there shouldn't be a consequence for having a blood alcohol level of .02 if you are of legal age. I'm pretty sure that's not even considered "intoxicated".
Old 10-20-2009 at 11:22 AM   #23
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Remember that in the states the legal drinking age is 21, so there are legal problems with high school kids with a couple drinks under their belt.

I for one think this is a decent idea. The US Education system has been failing in the last decade, and high school students definitely do not need to be drinking in such a system.

Although I do question the allocation of resources..

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 12:35 PM   #24
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

This is ridiculous. Kind of like how I got suspended a week in grade 12 for...... wait for it, wait for it......... truancy! With a 93% average! Yay

I think there's too much stupid shit like (breathalyzer) going on in schools; we need to bring back corporal punishment.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 01:21 PM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Remember that in the states the legal drinking age is 21, so there are legal problems with high school kids with a couple drinks under their belt.
Maybe you didn't read my post above, but the legal age to purchase alcohol in the states is 21. In most states, there's no restrictions on minors consuming alcohol.

It's perfectly feasible and legal for a student to go home for lunch and have a glass of wine, and go back to school after. I'm sure that this is the case in many families, especially families that recently immigrated from Europe.

tungo89 likes this.