MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ok future dentists of the world... MCHEDDENITE Body & Food 0 08-26-2010 03:25 PM

Bright new future for hybrids?

Old 08-11-2009 at 08:05 PM   #31
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There isn't even enough money in the world to produce enough anti-matter to blow up the Vatican. You could actually buy the entire world with the amount of money needed to produce that much anti-matter.
For now yes, CERN takes a HUGE amount of electricity to run, like whenever it does some parts of Switzerland have power outtages or surges! But once again as that researcher said, for now Anti Matter is implausible. Even if we do run CERN at full capacity and spend that much money we wouldn't be able to contain and maintain anti matter to be even able to capture it with a microscope! But In the future who knows!

Like Imagine if you lived in the 1800s and people told you about the stuff we do today; Its similar to that....

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-11-2009 at 08:13 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
For now yes, CERN takes a HUGE amount of electricity to run, like whenever it does some parts of Switzerland have power outtages or surges! But once again as that researcher said, for now Anti Matter is implausible. Even if we do run CERN at full capacity and spend that much money we wouldn't be able to contain and maintain anti matter to be even able to capture it with a microscope! But In the future who knows!

Like Imagine if you lived in the 1800s and people told you about the stuff we do today; Its similar to that....
So in like 200 years? o.O I don't think I would see it happening in my lifetime.
Old 08-11-2009 at 08:51 PM   #33
huzaifa47

Well I dunno lol Could happen in decades? Who knows! I mean even upto the 80's no one knew we would have flat screen televisions, internet, 3D Video Games, Social Media or even that we would clone a sheep in 1996!

Old 08-11-2009 at 09:33 PM   #34
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

All thats good news but can we afford it? Anyway's new cars = new problems. Prius is reliable stick with that.
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:18 PM   #35
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
All thats good news but can we afford it? Anyway's new cars = new problems. Prius is reliable stick with that.
Progress is something that we cannot avoid, or afford to avoid for that matter. Yes, new cars will have some new problems, but I'd rather we have cars that didn't pollute/were more efficient with some new problems than have the cars of today with all of our problems with decreasing oil reserves and pollution.
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:31 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Progress is something that we cannot avoid, or afford to avoid for that matter. Yes, new cars will have some new problems, but I'd rather we have cars that didn't pollute/were more efficient with some new problems than have the cars of today with all of our problems with decreasing oil reserves and pollution.
As long as the problems do not outweigh the benefits.
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:26 PM   #37
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Tesla will become a giant player in the automotive industry. When you have a billionaire CEO with a proven track record (PayPal), you can't go wrong.

Just wait till their Model S sedan goes on sale next year.
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:36 PM   #38
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Tesla will become a giant player in the automotive industry. When you have a billionaire CEO with a proven track record (PayPal), you can't go wrong.

Just wait till their Model S sedan goes on sale next year.
Most likely, but alot of other companies are slowly getting in on the act as well! Ford are saying they will have a electric Focus in 2011, but here's the catch it can only run 100 Miles per charge compared to over 300 for Model S. Tesla still have the Competitive advantage I guess, that level of Acceleration is Crazy! If they capitalize on it and build enough monetary backup for R&D, they could do very well!

Old 08-11-2009 at 11:38 PM   #39
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Most likely, but alot of other companies are slowly getting in on the act as well! Ford are saying they will have a electric Focus in 2011, but here's the catch it can only run 100 Miles per charge compared to over 300 for Model S. Tesla still have the Competitive advantage I guess, that level of Acceleration is Crazy! If they capitalize on it and build enough monetary backup for R&D, they could do very well!
Tesla has another edge in that Venture capitalists really like Tesla, so they have a good way to get financial backing.
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:41 PM   #40
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Tesla has another edge in that Venture capitalists really like Tesla, so they have a good way to get financial backing.
Lol yeah I guess In USA they do have a major advantage, I reaaalyy don't think anyone is going to give GM or Chrysler money for anything anytime soon! But who knows what Germany and Japan might be cooking up? Never Underestimate the Japanese lol! They do lack major creative flair but they get their technical stuff dead on!

Old 08-12-2009 at 12:41 AM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Tesla has been working on Electric Motors for 6 years now. They definitively have an advantage in terms of experience/research.
Old 08-12-2009 at 10:25 AM   #42
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Lol yeah I guess In USA they do have a major advantage, I reaaalyy don't think anyone is going to give GM or Chrysler money for anything anytime soon! But who knows what Germany and Japan might be cooking up? Never Underestimate the Japanese lol! They do lack major creative flair but they get their technical stuff dead on!
Speaking of Germany, Mercedes bought 10% of Tesla.
Old 08-12-2009 at 10:49 AM   #43
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I like how the whole transport system used to work back in the early 1900s. There were just street car tracks that went through all the neighborhoods making it easy to get on public transit. Then the gas companies bought all the street cars, smashed them, and told everyone to buy cars, lol.

I think it would make a lot more sense for cities to implement something like that, except with "carts" that join up with each other and travel in groups to reduce wind resistance. We would get everywhere faster since the whole thing would be automated. I saw something like that on Daily Planet a few years ago, seemed pretty cool :p.

By the way, in case anyone hasn't, you should watch the documentary "Who killed the electric car?". Apparently the first cars (I guess right after steam powered ones... if those existed) were electrically powered. There isn't any "new technology" to figure out here, lol. It also goes into stuff about how GM made an electric car in the late 90s, leased a few, and then took them back and destroyed them under the pressure of oil companies. Pretty interesting stuff. It also goes into how hydrogen vehicles were a retarded idea from the beginning, considering the fact that fuel cells are delicate, super expensive and require a nearly 'unlimited' power source for making practical quantities of hydrogen.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 08-12-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:03 PM   #44
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
you should watch the documentary "Who killed the electric car?". Apparently the first cars (I guess right after steam powered ones... if those existed) were electrically powered. There isn't any "new technology" to figure out here, lol. It also goes into stuff about how GM made an electric car in the late 90s, leased a few, and then took them back and destroyed them under the pressure of oil companies. Pretty interesting stuff. It also goes into how hydrogen vehicles were a retarded idea from the beginning, considering the fact that fuel cells are delicate, super expensive and require a nearly 'unlimited' power source for making practical quantities of hydrogen.
That is true. The first cars were electrically powered because at that time electricity was the cheapest source of energy.

However, the price of oil dropped and they decided (or were pressured) into using it as the new fuel source.

Hydrogen fuel is having a hard time because of how reactive it is. It's incredibly dangerous. The safety regulations or whatever it is prevents it from being a fuel source for transportation. It's funny because if gasoline wasn't used for fuel and today you were to say, "Let's use gasoline as our fuel source" it would actually fail safety regulation or whatever it is. XD

As for the power source to make hydrogen, you can always use renewable energies such as wind and sun.
Old 08-12-2009 at 01:14 PM   #45
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
As for the power source to make hydrogen, you can always use renewable energies such as wind and sun.
Hydrogen just seems kind of silly though, like why would we want to use electricity to make hydrogen which will in turn be used to make electricity again? It seems to make a lot more sense to cut out the middle man and use batteries.

I think that the US government was getting everyone hyped about hydrogen a few years ago when they and the oil companies realized they could be that middle man in the whole process :p.