MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*** SUMMER 2011 SUBLET AVAILABLE*** 47 Broadway Ave LittleLady17 Residence & Housing 3 05-05-2011 04:18 PM

broadway tickets cheap?

Old 06-17-2011 at 02:35 PM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

broadway tickets cheap?
hey so my family is planning to go to new york over the Canada day weekend and ive always wanted to go see a broadway production. though i know the tickets are really expensive (at least 100$ per person for the cheapest seats in lionking) i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get cheaper tickets.

also has anyone seen any of the shows and would recommend ones which they liked..and would you say its worth the money?

thanks
~C
Old 06-17-2011 at 05:21 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
hey so my family is planning to go to new york over the Canada day weekend and ive always wanted to go see a broadway production. though i know the tickets are really expensive (at least 100$ per person for the cheapest seats in lionking) i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get cheaper tickets.

also has anyone seen any of the shows and would recommend ones which they liked..and would you say its worth the money?

thanks
~C
You could try looking for some deals... I remember when we went there was something called a New York City Pass, and you basically got admission to a bunch of stuff for x days. Didn't have Broadway though.

Maybe check hotels, essp if they are nearby they might have a bundle... Hotel staff can be helpful as well.

also consider off-Broadway shows - they can be just as good, but cheaper since they aren't on Broadway.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:26 AM   #3
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

See my post in your other thread "New York Trip"

Have fun! I LOVE broadway!
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:41 AM   #4
Sheikia

As for suggestions for shows, there are several categories of people, and different shows they will like. I will give you some examples.

Big, flashy musicals (new) (I would suggest this if you are a first-time broadway goer, though they are the most expensive)

-Catch Me if you Can (the main actor won the award this year. Based on the Leo Decaprio and Tom hanks movie)
-How to Succeed in Business (Daniel Radicliffe-yes of Harry Potter fame-is in this and is very good. Very good choice)
-The Addams's Family (Decent, funny musical. Nathan Lane is incredible)
-Spiderman: Turn off the Dark (I could go on and on about this but you'd be better off just googleing it. Long Story)
-Sister Act (I know nothing of this...)
-Jersey Boys (getting kind of old now but really good show. Based on the 50's quartet, the Four Seasons)

Classic Musicals. These are the classic ones that everyone knows and loves and have been running FOREVER. These are also good for a new theatre-goer because they are somewhat recognizable.

-Phantom of the Opera (always tons of cheap tickets)
-The Lion King (If you want to see this you may have to get tickets online b/c they usually sell out so are not at the booth.)
-Chicago (DONT SEE THIS. THE PRODUCTION THAT IS CURRENTLY RUNNING IS TERRIBLE)
-Wicked (If you want to see this you may have to get tickets online b/c they usually sell out so are not at the booth.)
-Mary Poppins

Edgy, contemporary, excellent shows

-The Book of Mormon (won the award for best musical. From the writers of South Park. VERY FUNNY)
-Memphis (EXCELLENT EXCELLENT SHOW. Won the award last year. If you can get tickets...)
-Hair (Just awesome. Love this show. Not exactly contemporary in date, but definitely in style)

As I said in your other post, go to the TKTS booth in Times Square (you can't miss it). They have really discounted tickets for almost all the shows (30-60% off) . For the bigger shows, the tickets will be about 50-75 $ at the booth (pretty good considering retail price is about 110$)

Chevalier says thanks to Sheikia for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:43 AM   #5
Sheikia

Feel free to message me for more specific questions (specific pricing, specific interest in shows) And I'll help!

I've seen a lot of the shows around now so I'm kind of an expert