MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-08-2013 at 11:29 AM   #1
youdontknow

Liked: 7 Times

Bronies
Seeing that this campus often seems to light up with internet memes, I would assume this campus is at least somewhat familiar with them. Bronies are basically fans of that new My Little Pony show. The term is basically a portmanteau of /b/ (the name of that board on 4Chan where almost all memes are born and contains tons of horrid images) and "pony". And yes, as childish as it seems, the predominant fanbase is actually grown adults.

Considering that this campus seems to be familiar with internet memes, I'm curious to how many "bronies" there are on campus.
Old 09-08-2013 at 02:54 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I'm pretty sure "bronies" actually stems from the portmanteau of the words "bro" and "ponies". They're probably laying low all over the campus. Lets hope they never start a club.

ZSimon says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

Old 09-08-2013 at 03:19 PM   #3
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

it would be nice for them to start a club

helps to know who to avoid

inb4 shitstorm of privledge & judging
Old 09-08-2013 at 04:08 PM   #4
UnfortunateL

You realize it's not really accepted anywhere right

ZSimon says thanks to UnfortunateL for this post.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 09-08-2013 at 04:40 PM   #5
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
You realize it's not really accepted anywhere right.
In this day and age, when there are guys who take it from other guys, people being bumped out by dudes watching cartoons for little girls? That don't make no sense.

Did they forget the Sailor Moon fad, and how some guys watched it? Guess everyone was able to forget this (somehow):

What I mean is, it's creepy, yes, but nothing out of ordinary, and we've seen it before already.

Last edited by MrPlinkett : 09-08-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2013 at 12:34 AM   #6
youdontknow

Come on guys, I know it sound creepy but then again a lot of the anime we watch are actually kids shows in Japan (ex. Eureka 7 (one of my favourites) was a Sunday Morning cartoon in Japan but a 14+ Bionix one here). Try to keep insults and judging down or something's might happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I'm pretty sure "bronies" actually stems from the portmanteau of the words "bro" and "ponies".
According to Know Your Meme, it's /b/ and pony, because that was the origin of the meme.
In other news, /b/ is so disturbing. I remember going there earlier this year and I became nauseous.

Last edited by youdontknow : 09-10-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2013 at 01:07 AM   #7
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

I still don't understand where people's fascination over My Little Pony came from.......

**Computer Engineering**
Old 09-10-2013 at 02:07 AM   #8
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Come on guys, I know it sound creepy but then again a lot of the anime we watch are actually kids shows in Japan (ex. Eureka 7 (one of my favourites) was a Sunday Morning cartoon in Japan but a 14+ Bionix one here). Try to keep insults and judging down or something's might happen.
Yeah, also you can grope a 13 year old girl and noone will say a thing, because it's legal in Japan. Different cultures, don't compare.

Quote:
I still don't understand where people's fascination over My Little Pony came from.......
They say it's because it's a good show. However, there are a lot of other good shows like Batman the Animated Series or Rocko's Modern Life, that are for kids, but don't treat them like retards, yet those shows didn't generate such strong following.

I'm guessing that they are secret Michael Jacksons, that are too afraid to admit it.
Old 09-10-2013 at 06:36 AM   #9
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

12 char

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-10-2013 at 07:36 AM   #10
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I <3 Rainbow Dash and totally watch this show AFTER my son goes to bed at night.
Old 09-23-2013 at 06:04 PM   #11
youdontknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateL View Post
You realize it's not really accepted anywhere right
I visit anime shops in Hamilton and I always see merchandise of it openly displayed in some section. I also saw it in that retro game store they run on campus in the Student Centre.
Old 09-27-2013 at 08:48 PM   #12
hamsterific

Liked: 9 Times

we have enough "memes" on campus.. let's not add bronies to the mix. i expect that if there were a lot of bronies on campus you'd probably know it because they seem to be pretty forthright about it.

also for the love of god please don't compare eureka seven to my little pony ;~;