MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-02-2014 at 02:44 PM   #1
silvam5

Liked: 0 Times

BSW vs MSW
Hello,

I am currently dealing with having to make a huge decision right now. I got accepted into the one year teachers college program, but I also got accepted into the 2 year post degree BSW program at McMaster.

I have been hearing that it would be more beneficial if I were to skip the BSW program and complete a one or two year MSW degree instead. I heard from a social worker who works with the school board that the candidates must have a MSW and some experience. If I were to take the social work route then I would like to become a social worker in the school, so now I am not sure what I should do.

Becoming a teacher is also not an easy route. The job prospects in Ontario are not looking very good. It may take years to be placed on the supply list (which takes volunteering in the classroom in order to be put on it), let alone secure a full-time permanent teaching position.

Any advice, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014 at 03:27 PM   #2
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I have no context regarding the BSW/MSW but you will have better prospects as a teacher if you are willing to relocate (such as to northern Ontario) or willing to teach a less popular subject or in a less popular school (like on a Native reservation). Many of my friends graduated in 2011 - 2/3 would-be teachers made it onto the supply list within the last year (1 quickly got an LTO), 1 is still volunteering and being told she doesn't have the experience yet. The supply list isn't super stable, but they all supply 5 days a week and are able to collect EI in the summer months.

So it's not the best option out there unless you have the means to support yourself for 2-3 years while volunteering/paying your dues. I'd go for the BSW.
Old 07-02-2014 at 06:13 PM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

There are many jobs available for a BSW, you would just have to look outside of school board and hospitals. With my BSW I am working as a social worker in intensive case management for people with mental illness. CAS also takes BSWs regularly. A BSW means you are a generalist and will be prepared for entry level practice.

I personally am not a fan of two year MSWs, I think it is very difficult to be a "master" of social work if you do not have any undergraduate learning in the profession or with relevant work experience. Doing an MSW after BSW will make you more rounded and prepare you for advanced practice more effectively (in my opinion, I do know some great social workers with two year MSW degrees). Also, there are fewer two year MSW programs as opposed to one year MSW programs. Also two year MSW programs are much more competitive, York gets about 300 applications a year and accepts about 20 students into their two year program.

I do not know much about working as a teacher, but it is extremely difficult getting into the school board. It is probably the most competitive area of employment within the social work profession. Social workers are few and far between in the school board and the funding continually is decreasing. If you choose to go into social work I would suggest being open to a wide array of fields, it's a very diverse profession.

Hope that helps.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 07-05-2014 at 12:09 PM   #4
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Listen to him ^ He's a smartie
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

starfish likes this.