MacInsiders Logo
Old 04-09-2009 at 02:10 PM   #1
saigalhz

Liked: 0 Times

Budgeting
i am making my budget for my first year at macmaster degroote business school and am planing to live in a bunk and loft room.

could any one tell me how much of my costs could i cover while working in mcmaster? and that do students get jobs easily.
Old 04-09-2009 at 02:41 PM   #2
saigalhz

(i have no work experience)
Old 04-09-2009 at 02:55 PM   #3
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

For an idea of wages/hours for student jobs (at McMaster):

http://www.msumcmaster.ca/content/do...Wages (2).pdf

Not sure how easy it is to get one... never tried.

saigalhz says thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 04-09-2009 at 06:55 PM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Wow, I didn't know the maroons spirit leaders got paid!

Also, there are other jobs in the closeby hamilton community, like at subway and fortinos and the like. They likely pay around minimum wage, but I don't know what kind of qualifications they require - you'd have to go and ask yourself.
Old 04-09-2009 at 11:55 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

My Little sixth sense bird tells me you are an international student.(+ a bit of rational deduction, brown people usually work in Canada! ) Okay soo first things first, unless you somehow manage to get an off campus permit IN your visa you are only allowed to work on campus. If you want to work close to campus, you will have to apply for an off campus permit($150), then it depends on luck/ networking to get a job!

As far as on campus jobs go, lack of experience is not a favourable thing, a number of popular jobs(Union market, Compass info desk) are out of question. However I managed to find little jobs as a poll clerk and soccer ref, recently got a work permit. And have applied for summer jobs at 5-6 places. Other then that there are a few oppurtunities here and there for non-experienced people, but I havent looked at them alot. My strategy for now is to build up a volunteer/practical resume and then apply for a job.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

saigalhz says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 04-10-2009 at 02:09 AM   #6
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Wow, I didn't know the maroons spirit leaders got paid!
Only the Maroons Spirit Leader himself/herself get paid as they are a part-time manager of one of the MSU services. That is the only position within the maroons that gets paid. And there is only one of them! Most of the MSU services have a paid part-time manager position with supporting volunteers.

KaesoPublius says thanks to McIntyre for this post.
Old 04-10-2009 at 08:06 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigalhz View Post
i am making my budget for my first year at macmaster degroote business school and am planing to live in a bunk and loft room.

could any one tell me how much of my costs could i cover while working in mcmaster? and that do students get jobs easily.
As previously mentioned there are jobs close to McMaster that are hiring, one for example is Gino's pizza, which is across from the school in a small complex.

At McMaster, you can check out the MSU's Job site, which currently has openings for CSR positions at Union Market. You can also check out OSCAR, McMaster's job and recruiting site. However, you can't access it until you have a Mac ID, which is not for a few months yet if I recall.

Somethings you should be budgeting for:
- cost of residence room
- cost of meal plan
- cost of tuition
- cost of textbooks
- other: travel, entertainment etc

You can also check out McMaster's Student Financial Aid and Scholarship site, which can provide you with more detail.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

saigalhz says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 04-10-2009 at 10:58 AM   #8
micadjems
Awesome Member

Still, having a spirit leader who gets paid seems to take the... authenticity out of it.. I dont know. I can see them be not willing to change anything or go up against anyone... because it's a JOB to them!

It just doesn't work in my brain.
Old 04-10-2009 at 11:15 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It's the same as all the House Programming Assistant, Res-Wide Welcome Week Planners, the Faculty-Wide Welcome Week Planner, and the Faculty Planners, really; almost all get some form of payment (hourly, honorarium).

And it's also a student job opportunity, so yay!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 04-10-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2009 at 11:32 AM   #10
micadjems
Awesome Member

The engineering faculty planners don't get paid at all.
Old 04-10-2009 at 12:41 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
The engineering faculty planners don't get paid at all.
Poor bastards. :(

Old 04-10-2009 at 01:02 PM   #12
micadjems
Awesome Member

I know! It's almost like they do it because they really enjoy welcome week, not because they enjoy getting paid!
Old 04-10-2009 at 02:56 PM   #13
saigalhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
My Little sixth sense bird tells me you are an international student.(+ a bit of rational deduction, brown people usually work in Canada! ) Okay soo first things first, unless you somehow manage to get an off campus permit IN your visa you are only allowed to work on campus. If you want to work close to campus, you will have to apply for an off campus permit($150), then it depends on luck/ networking to get a job!

As far as on campus jobs go, lack of experience is not a favourable thing, a number of popular jobs(Union market, Compass info desk) are out of question. However I managed to find little jobs as a poll clerk and soccer ref, recently got a work permit. And have applied for summer jobs at 5-6 places. Other then that there are a few oppurtunities here and there for non-experienced people, but I havent looked at them alot. My strategy for now is to build up a volunteer/practical resume and then apply for a job.
Yes huzaifa ur sixth sense is correct ( what do u expect we have to pay more then double ur fees)
Old 04-10-2009 at 03:44 PM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigalhz View Post
Yes huzaifa ur sixth sense is correct ( what do u expect we have to pay more then double ur fees)
Yeah I know, I'm international myself. But hey! atleast we are much much cheaper then going to uoft where its 21k tuition/ 10k Residence and much higher living costs!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-10-2009 at 04:56 PM   #15
saigalhz

yes we r better off at mac. (i hope so:p)