MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Dec 27 : The Visitor: Massacre ... Chad Daily Game 2 12-27-2010 11:52 AM

Burma Massacre

Old 08-06-2012 at 08:36 PM   #1
shawafo

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Burma Massacre
I was wondering if anyone was aware this was even happening? I was in the dark about this issue up until recently.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/pl...hingya-0022301

AelyaS, Galanthus, maay29, Om Nom like this.
Old 08-06-2012 at 09:53 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Yep. Our Western governments are courting Burma right now so we won't hear much about the Rohingya. (Not to mention the ongoing atrocities against other minorities in Burma like the Kachin, Mon, Va, and Indian Burmese).

In any case, the standard media (to which al-Jazeera does not belong) has been saved the embarrassment; its favourite Burmese, Aung San Suu Kyi, apparently doesn't want to talk about the matter, so they don't need to cover it.

If there are any Western policy changes in the near future, though, you can bet that this issue will get a whole lot of air time on CNN/CBC/BBC etc. I have seen a report or two from the BBC, but they seem to prefer putting the blame on the Bangladeshi government for not providing enough for the refugees (as if the Bangladeshi government can provide enough for its own people!)

There's a series of massacres perpetrated by a regime we (i.e. the US + its buddies) would like to change in Syria, so that's getting the coverage right now. Massacres perpetrated by regimes that are opening up to our corporates will get correspondingly little coverage, and sadly that is the case for the Rohingyas and the other minority groups in Burma (many of whom have suffered from longer civil wars than that which is occurring in Syria today). If only their regime was a bit more hostile to Western geopolitical interest.

Old 08-23-2012 at 04:36 PM   #3
maay29

Liked: 3 Times

Yes. It is unfortunate. It is also pretty pathetic and disturbing how this issue is not getting the importance and attention it needs. Perhaps because the victims are Muslims who are a minority..imagine that. Plus there is so much more tension in Asia.

But still, these people are literally being wiped out! As a minority group, they have no where to go and are just being killed.

Just recently Turkey's Prime Minister and his wife went to meet with the victims and to shed some light on this issue. They were in tears!!

I've signed a petition by change.org and AVAAZ.org!

That's the least we can do!

AelyaS likes this.
Old 08-23-2012 at 05:12 PM   #4
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Couldn't care less. There are more people dying in Mexico in drug war shootings, massacres and simply drug use, than Americans in Vietnam War and Soviets in Afghanistan put together.

I don't think we are to spend much time caring about something that is not even happening on the same continent as we live....

Might sound harsh, but that's how it is.
Old 08-23-2012 at 06:29 PM   #5
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Why would it get coverage? It's not about white people, or about people that Western nations can benefit from helping.

The world is an awful, awful place.
Old 08-23-2012 at 06:29 PM   #6
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
Couldn't care less. There are more people dying in Mexico in drug war shootings, massacres and simply drug use, than Americans in Vietnam War and Soviets in Afghanistan put together.

I don't think we are to spend much time caring about something that is not even happening on the same continent as we live....

o h m y g o d
Old 08-23-2012 at 07:23 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Why would it get coverage? It's not about white people, or about people that Western nations can benefit from helping.

The world is an awful, awful place.
i've seen religious statues giving out milk in india on cnn. white ppl stuff isnt the only thing covered on news.
Old 08-23-2012 at 09:41 PM   #8
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post

So why does America care so much about screwing over Syria and protecting Israel? I understand your point of view; I just hope that it remains consistent throughout all issues.

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 08-23-2012 at 11:24 PM   #9
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Oh yes! It unfortunately has been going on for about 4 months now...I think! The sad fact is this is nothing new in Burma :'( Persecutions and abuse of non Buddhists has been always there but this time it really is just focusing on Muslims only because Muslims, also called Rohingyas, have never been accepted as Myanmar citizens because of their religious choice. But then what about the Christian minority and those who follow other religions? Well from some articles i read it seems that they're afraid of the what is happening in the Middle East! From the previous and still continuous revolutions, the goal was to change those unjust states to what the people want as justice. Now that could affect Burma because they have never treated non Buddhists with much respect or fairness and Muslims have always been denied their citizenship and rights there. So their fear is, supposedly, that the Muslims will revolute against the government to demand their rights.

But what bothers me the most is that the US visited Burma on December, anybody correct me if I'm wrong?
The only sanctions applied on it now from Canada and America are Economic ones, which isn't so favorable to America. ( But who knows maybe that's just what we have been told!)
Hilary Clinton visited Burma for economic reasons disregarding it's abusive discriminatory history. Pretty much because China is now a threat to it. China is on the borders with Burma, and is with good relations with it especially financially. I mean Burma is now a shinning treasure because of its geological place! It's place makes it a good agricultural country and don't forget OIL!Yup that substance America and its allies keep running after killing people and causing vagrancy to many families along the way like what happened in Iraq! Or what about those natural resources in Afghanistan! Money is just part of it!

It really angers me that such a disaster isn't focused on media! But that's how they want it. Media is a tool to manipulate people, it tells us what to listen to, and what to believe in, same vice versa. It's now our duty to enlighten ourselves correctly because they succeeded in causing societies to struggle in order to know what is right and what is wrong. They successfully managed to distract us from our important values and morals. They managed to make us forget about this inner feeling that we should carry for each other regardless of where they are and who they are, we just need to focus on ourselves. As for teens let them be with their celeb gossip and what not that's definitely more important.

Yah, its a sad reality there really is more we should open our eyes too.
Old 08-24-2012 at 12:37 PM   #10
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by husayn12 View Post
So why does America care so much about screwing over Syria and protecting Israel? I understand your point of view; I just hope that it remains consistent throughout all issues.
Caring about something as a citizen or a person and caring about something as a superpower, that has all sort of businesses tied to warfare and trying to protect its allies, are two different things dude.
Old 08-27-2012 at 01:34 AM   #11
maay29

Liked: 3 Times

You're right not everything can be covered in the news, and here we tend to have problems of our own to face but most things like massacres, droughts, etc are covered to some degree. But this issue is just not getting attention.
What makes it worse is how the Burmese people are discrediting the Rohingya people they are persecuting. By photoshopping pictures from other disasters, they are taking pictures and manipulating them to make it look like the Rohingya, etc people are purposely creating a faulty image of themselves as being killed in the thousands.

I've seen Two to Three well-spread pictures on Facebook and YouTube. Whoever created them is pretty disgusting for doing such. Purposely discrediting the Rohingya people.

Who by the way have been living in the region of current day Burma for many centuries. Go as far back as the 9th century, when Burma was nonexistent.

sarahsullz likes this.