MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-16-2009 at 05:01 PM   #1
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Bus Help!
Hey Guys.

So my parents are moving to the Mt. Carmel area in Niagara Falls. They're pretty much retired, and want to get out of the city life in T.O, and relax. Understandable.

Thing is, I still wanna go home on weekends. Does anyone know which buses in Hamilton will take me to Niagara Falls, or even St. Catherines. I know Greyhound goes, but that's once a day, and involves 1 transfer, & it's a 3-hour trip. Crazy lol. I heard that the GO bus is expanding and will soon be having weekday trips to/from the Falls, but as of now, their weekend trains don't even stop in Hamilton, so i'm not sure what the chances are that their weekday trains will stop in Hamilton.

I appreciate the help
Old 08-16-2009 at 05:06 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

GO has been talking about expanding their service to Hamilton for some time.

That being said it seems like your only option to take GO would to go Burlington (or Oakville) and then on to Niagara Falls

You can check out the schedule (they only have weekend trains) here: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/d...htm#Sche dule

They will end up releasing a new schedule about one to two weeks before that one ends.

Unfortunately the service is only a trial basis right now, so you may still need to take Greyhound or Coach Canada.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-16-2009 at 05:08 PM   #3
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

Coach Canada is definitely the way to go! check out coachcanada.ca for schedules and such! (or stop by and visit the lovely people at Compass to buy your ticket and get more help if you need it)

daisy says thanks to jmbauman for this post.
Old 08-16-2009 at 05:09 PM   #4
Greco

^ yea right now i'm able to hop on the train in the Falls and get to Toronto, but the closest stop to Hamilton is in Burlington. I read on GO's website that it'll be starting weekday service to Niagara Falls beggining in September, but it still hasn't been said wether or not there will be a stop in Hamilton.
Old 08-16-2009 at 05:10 PM   #5
Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
Coach Canada is definitely the way to go! check out coachcanada.ca for schedules and such! (or stop by and visit the lovely people at Compass to buy your ticket and get more help if you need it)
Does Compass offer any discounts on tickets? & would you happen to know where the bus picks people up?

I've seen buses by the GO terminal that pick up students sometimes last semester, wasn't sure if they were Coach.
Old 08-16-2009 at 05:15 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Student CC tickets I believe cost 40% less than that of an adult ticket. I'm not positive on the amount though. Compass sells CC tickets, so you can ask them the prices and the difference between adult and student price.

Pickup is at the Downtown GO center if you want to go to Niagara Falls and area, the on-campus pickup is for Kitchener, Cambridge and Guelph routes.

Also, the distance from the Burlington GO center to Hamilton GO is pretty fast...15 minutes max if I recall correctly.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-16-2009 at 05:18 PM.

daisy says thanks to lorend for this post.