Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
When do we buy this?
and how much is it?
https://housing.mcmaster.ca/mp/macpass/macpass.php
Available until they sell out (which usually happens on the first day of Welcome Week).

It's $125 before August 6th, and $150 afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby101 View Post
I'm going to be a first year student and I will stay off-campus. Actually, I don't know anything about Welcome Week. Is it for all first year students or it 's just for students staying on campus ? Should I buy Macpass or not ?
Welcome Week is definitely for all first years, not just those staying on campus. I might be a tiny bit biased, but I think that the Off Campus people who come out end up having a much better time than a lot of the residence kids. Some of the SOCS exclusive events are the most fun.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think some of the SOCS welcome week events will be open to anyone buying a membership this year (which is much cheaper than a MacPass), but you'd definitely miss out on some of the bigger campus wide events (the concerts, airbands, bed racers, etc). I'll get back to you as soon as possible on that one, since that might influence your decision. In the end though, only you know whether you'll actually come out to enough events to make it worth your money. It can be really tempting to just sleep in when you're off campus, since you don't have a whole floor of people around you waking up for the events.

I certainly wouldn't count on them not checking wristbands though, we turned away quite a few people for not having wristbands last year.

ruby101 says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 07-05-2010 at 10:15 PM   #32
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Since you're getting there just when classes are going to start, I don't think it'd be worth it. But I'm really glad I got one because the first couple of days were basically ALL focused on wearing your residence swag, and going to events. I think the way everything is (everyone from your res/faculty wearing the same shirts, going to the same events etc) people who hadn't gotten macpasses really felt left out.
Old 07-06-2010 at 11:05 PM   #33
dlee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

When is the welcome week? lol When is our first day of class by the way? I am confused between these two...I know I am so out of the loop!
Old 07-06-2010 at 11:20 PM   #34
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee View Post
When is the welcome week? lol When is our first day of class by the way? I am confused between these two...I know I am so out of the loop!
welcome week starts the day you get there! so either the 4th or 5th. First day of classes is on Thursday the 8th!

dlee says thanks to etoilex3 for this post.