MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Websites To Buy Used Books (and some tips!) lorend Buying Textbooks (new/used) & Courseware Tips 14 09-04-2012 03:45 PM
Buying books for second semester Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-07-2008 10:46 AM
Buying used books? windandwater General Discussion 14 08-20-2008 10:45 AM
Buying Books Goce Academics 3 01-08-2008 01:24 PM

buying books

Old 08-22-2008 at 12:06 PM   #1
viky

Liked: 0 Times

buying books
I saw that book list posted for my courses. I asked some friend and they said sometimes books will be changed by professors during first year. Is that true?
if that was false, can i buy the books that are listed in book list for my courses for sure? I don't like to take risk, as books are not refundable. One thing is sure that I will not change the courses I take. please help me with this. So i can start my preparation soon....
Old 08-22-2008 at 12:30 PM   #2
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

yeah -- and i was also wondering. what if there's only ONE book required by the course.. so is there still a risk of that book not being used? because there IS only one book required, so technically it should be used.. but i dont really know.
Old 08-22-2008 at 12:44 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't know. It's difficult to know when to buy books. Students are telling me that I should buy books after school starts, and a professor at Mac that I know personally told me to buy them before, so... yeah.
Old 08-22-2008 at 12:49 PM   #4
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

I think it's very rare (I don't think it ever happens) that a textbook will be changed for a course once the booklist is out. You might want to wait until the first week of classes to see if you want/need the text for the course, but I think it will be totally fine to buy the text listed on titles early. I've bought all my textbooks already. You'll avoid long lines if you buy now, but you might miss some potential deals by buying early.
Old 08-23-2008 at 12:01 AM   #5
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

I don't think we ever get 'deals' on textbooks...at the school's bookstore. Also, there's usually not much of a line-up if you head over to the bookstore just after they open up or just before they close.

But if you do plan to purchase your textbooks early for whatever reason, I would suggest that you don't open the package (if it's sealed in plastic) until you are sure that you'll need it. You can get a full refund before a certain date, sometime around the end of September.
Old 08-23-2008 at 12:30 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

September 20th is the last day for refunds on texts.

And I have had my booklist change from when it was posted to when the course started. Twice if I recall correctly, possibly three times.

If there is only one book for the course it still may not be used; but this depends a lot on your faculty and how you are taught. I have never not used a text in any of my classes, where I have heard many complaints from people in the sciences who bought books for no reason.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-23-2008 at 09:54 AM   #7
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

My bad. Talking from my own experience, I shouldn't have generalized. What I meant by "deals" was other opportunities to buy used texts, like you might find someone selling the text for much cheaper if you wait a bit longer.
Old 08-23-2008 at 06:28 PM   #8
amplified

Lol. Yikes.
I got antsy and may have bought all the novels I needed for the courses I'm taking. I didn't buy any textbooks though. I figured even if the novels aren't used, half of them are really good reads anyways that I could take advantage of during the break.

I realllyyyy wish I hadn't gone out and bought like 13 novels. Lol. But it's too late now. Chapters will not refund me.

Oh and ps: novels for courses are cheaper at chapters than the used ones in the bookstore. I found that kinda nuts.

But anyhowww. No more buying books for now. lol
I'm stopping at 140 bucks ;x
Old 08-23-2008 at 06:37 PM   #9
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

It's so nice on the wallet when the professors choose to have their course material published at Copies Plus down the street instead of Titles. It's like buying something for $20 or buying something for $100. One of my professors last year published his courseware at the MSU Underground which was even cheaper than Copies Plus! I don't think this applies to first year courses though.
Old 08-23-2008 at 06:52 PM   #10
amplified

T29 takes debit, right?
Old 08-23-2008 at 07:06 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup. Debit, student card, credit card, cash, gift card.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-23-2008 at 07:28 PM   #12
amplified

...student card?
how would I pay for books with that?

curious...
Old 08-23-2008 at 07:53 PM   #13
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

The money gets added to your fees for school such as tuition and rez. So you have time to pay it off with the rest of your tuition. But you don't get your grades at the end of the year if you have any outstanding payments.
Old 08-23-2008 at 08:28 PM   #14
amplified

That seems complicated. Lol
I don't want to ruin my fully covered fees. I'm very happy about them. lol

I'll buy by debit.
/sigh. I'm gonna be soo poor.
Old 08-23-2008 at 11:40 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I've spend almost $300 on books for two classes...yes, you will be poor. lol.