MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Textbooks (new and used) cjordan MacInsiders Announcements 2 12-31-2010 12:59 PM
buying textbooks akikokoyoki First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 09-12-2010 08:17 AM
Buying Your Textbooks (new and used) Chad First Year Success 8 08-20-2008 02:16 PM
Buying Textbooks love_saskuran First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-14-2008 12:38 AM

Buying textbooks for these courses??

Old 07-24-2011 at 05:24 PM   #1
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

Buying textbooks for these courses??
Would you recommend buying the teXtbooks/courseware for the following courses? Should I buy them old or new? how useful did you find them?

Bio 2A03
Bio 2B03
Bio 2F03

Chem 2OA3
Chem 2OB3

Biochem 2EE3

Psych 1X03
Psych 1XX3
Psych 2AP3
Old 07-24-2011 at 05:30 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I wouldn't recommend buying the course handbook for both PSYCH 1X03/1XX3 just because they're basically the slides from the online lectures with space beside them to take notes. I took notes on my laptop while watching the lectures, so I found no use for the course handbooks. But if you're the type of person to write down the notes, then maybe the handbooks would be useful for you.

But for the e-books for those courses, don't buy them at all. None of it is testable material and it's just a waste of time

epikness says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 05:30 PM   #3
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Always buy used. As a disclaimer, I'm not a huge textbook learner, I learn best from lecture notes/internet.

CHEM 2OA3/2OB3: I never really used the textbook but you will need the model kit, so I'd get it.

BIOCHEM 2EE3: Also never used the textbook but there was 1 question on one of the midterms that he took directly from the textbook readings (wasn't in lecture material). I would say you can get away with no textbook.

PSYCH 1X03/1XX3: Is there a textbook for these courses now? When I took them (in 2008), there was just a mandatory custom courseware to accompany online lectures.

PSYCH 2AP3: You will absolutely need the textbook since 20% of questions on tests will be exclusively from textbook readings.

epikness says thanks to inthemaking for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 09:34 PM   #4
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

You don't really need the book for Bio 2B03, i think its recommended, not required. Usually the lecture notes will suffice for the tests and exams. Textbook is more for additional reading or a last resort, but in my opinion, not that necessary.
Do get the book for orgo though. Most of the mechanisms and stuff that you see in the prof's slides come straight from the textbook, so that will be helpful to see when you're studying. Also, in my opinion, textbook practice questions are reallllly helpful. They help you get a solid foundation on the material and different kinds of reactions, so definitely do them when studying for tests and exams. Buy it used for sure, there's not much difference between the new and old editions...the prof will probably tell u this at the beginning of term.

epikness says thanks to biochemer for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 10:20 PM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I would STRONG SUGGEST buying the books for orgo (and the model kit too)
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

epikness says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 10:26 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

2a03 = yes
1x03 = no (ebook is useless, buy ccw though)

epikness says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 07-25-2011
fatcat
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-25-2011
fatcat
This message has been removed by a moderator. .