MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Campus Bookstore Returns Arani21 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-10-2013 04:33 PM
Bookstore website down - kind of staceygab Academics 6 04-24-2013 07:03 PM
Win a Boulder SE Mountain Bike at the Campus Bookstore staceygab Student Deals & Discounts 8 09-16-2012 05:57 PM
Hoodies for under $25 at the Campus Bookstore staceygab Student Deals & Discounts 13 09-12-2012 10:12 PM
MCAT Online Student-Run Website for Verbal and Writing Sections kadhia Academics 3 07-23-2009 06:50 PM

Campus Bookstore Online Website Help

Old 09-09-2013 at 09:10 PM   #1
GirishKelkar

Liked: 0 Times

Campus Bookstore Online Website Help
Hey guys i have a big problem. The campus bookstore website doesn't go on with the search for my textbook list. I've entered my information such as course code, section and department but the list of books doesn't show up, it just gets stuck like that. Im using Windows 8 and google chrome is there something wrong on my end? Also is there a way of finding out the retail prices of these books without having to wait in line? I REALLY NEED THE PRICES SO I COULD PURCHASE USED BOOK AND MAKE A PROPER DEAL AND NOT GET RIPPED OFF

Malka says thanks to GirishKelkar for this post.
Old 09-09-2013 at 09:12 PM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Are you getting the list of your courses at the bottom? If so, did you click "find my textbooks"?

Prices will be listed on the site if you can get the list of books.
Old 09-09-2013 at 09:15 PM   #3
GirishKelkar

When I try to select like the department and the course code and section to get the book into my book list. It doesn't search for it, It just sit there loading and never loads

Last edited by GirishKelkar : 09-09-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 09-09-2013 at 09:17 PM   #4
Quiver

Most likely the website is having issues, not you. McMaster isn't exactly known for the wonderful technological services. Maybe try again tomorrow morning to see if it's any better?

GirishKelkar says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 09-09-2013 at 09:19 PM   #5
GirishKelkar

I have been trying for like a couple hours now, looks like everyone is searching for books at like 10 in the night time lol. But i guess i'll try in the morning or something thanks for the help
Old 09-09-2013 at 09:23 PM   #6
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

#OccupyBookstore
Old 09-09-2013 at 11:07 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Yes the campus bookstore database server has problems and downtime from time to time. It most likely isn't your computer causing the problem. Try using a different browser like Firefox.. just in case it's a caching issue. If that doesn't work just wait and come back to try again in a few hours.

As for used book prices.. try doing a search in the Macinsiders Marketplace to get an idea of what your books are selling for price-wise and calculate the average price you can get it for.

GirishKelkar says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 09-10-2013 at 08:39 PM   #8
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirishKelkar View Post
I have been trying for like a couple hours now, looks like everyone is searching for books at like 10 in the night time lol. But i guess i'll try in the morning or something thanks for the help
The Campus Store website definitely leaves much to be desired in the back to school rush. Chad is right - Google Chrome has always been a bit buggy. FF or IE work better. Late at night or early in the morning are the best times to try. Less traffic.

Sorry for the frustration.

GirishKelkar says thanks to staceygab for this post.
Old 09-11-2013 at 01:04 PM   #9
GirishKelkar

Sorry for the late reply but I think firefox helped and now I got my whole book list and I've saved it just in case I have other issues in the future. Thanks for the help
Old 09-11-2013 at 01:06 PM   #10
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply but I think firefox helped and now I got my whole book list and I've saved it just in case I have other issues in the future. Thanks for the help
Glad you got it -
Old 09-11-2013 at 06:47 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
B] Also is there a way of finding out the retail prices of these books without having to wait in line? I REALLY NEED THE PRICES SO I COULD PURCHASE USED BOOK AND MAKE A PROPER DEAL AND NOT GET RIPPED OFF[/b]
Protip: All the prices will almost always be substantially larger than what you will spend on amazon and other textbook-centric websites. The reason for the premium: bookstore making money, publishers making money, and convenience.

Hard to get a good answer in first year courses, but try to get clarification from the professor as to whether you need the newest edition for a specific reason, or if the previous versions will suffice. Biggest reason given for having the newest edition has to do with the answer keys the professors may provide along with specific homework questions... except that these questions will still appear, only under a different number.

Also, pirate as much as you can.
Old 09-11-2013 at 07:17 PM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Many users do a general rule of thumb 50% off used book price @titles
Old 09-11-2013 at 10:31 PM   #13
Quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
The reason for the premium: bookstore making money, publishers making money, and convenience.
I don't think the Campus Store actually makes a huge sum of money. If you look up the textbooks from the publisher generally they're already priced very high. The store just had to add a bit more to do the shipping and packaging, paying salaries, operational costs, etc. Plus, because they are a bookstore they need to try to stock books for all the students in the class. Sure you can find your own personal textbook for 50% what the bookstore sells it for, but Amazon/other independent sellers probably won't have 250 of that book for that price. Just a thought.

staceygab says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 09-11-2013 at 10:37 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
I don't think the Campus Store actually makes a huge sum of money. If you look up the textbooks from the publisher generally they're already priced very high. The store just had to add a bit more to do the shipping and packaging, paying salaries, operational costs, etc. Plus, because they are a bookstore they need to try to stock books for all the students in the class. Sure you can find your own personal textbook for 50% what the bookstore sells it for, but Amazon/other independent sellers probably won't have 250 of that book for that price. Just a thought.
I didn't say they made a huge sum of money off individual textbook sales, stop reading too much into post content that isn't there.
Old 09-11-2013 at 11:43 PM   #15
Quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I didn't say they made a huge sum of money off individual textbook sales, stop reading too much into post content that isn't there.
Well, you put it on a comparable level to the money made by publishers, who presumably do make a huge sum of money. Besides, I didn't say you thought that. I said thatI think they don't make a huge sum of money, which is a popular belief. "Just a thought" - my thoughts.

staceygab says thanks to Quiver for this post.