MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better Rogers Service on Campus!!! FINALLY Jessicaaaa Computers & Tech 29 10-18-2011 12:27 AM
GO Transit Bus Service on Campus LindsieG First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-10-2011 01:05 PM
Dealing with allergies :S smojer Residence & Housing 6 08-03-2011 11:24 PM
Dealing with Homesickness rrtt Residence & Off-Campus Living 8 09-21-2009 07:49 AM

Campus/student service for dealing with pcs?

Old 03-25-2012 at 07:43 PM   #1
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Campus/student service for dealing with pcs?
I was wondering if there are any student run computer clubs or whatnot that would be willing to help clean my laptop. I just need a physical cleanup with dusting and applying thermal pasting. I would do it myself but I'm scared of doing it since I'v had terrible luck doing things myself with my desktop before. I would take it to a computer store but the issue is it would take days to process and whatnot and want to get this done in 1 afternoon
Old 03-25-2012 at 08:04 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Its not that hard but i hated working my laptop since it felt like as i was going to break mine when i opened mine since my case is plastic. if your worried about opening it, look up a manual for your laptop and mine had step by step solutions on how to do everything.

if its just a physical cleanup, i also dont see why it would take days to process. if you go to a small computer store on non-busy day, they may be able to do it that day
Old 03-25-2012 at 08:46 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

neither do i. and also no manual
Old 03-25-2012 at 08:49 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

they should have one under the support/driver section of whatever brand your laptop is. i googled it and then downloaded a pdf of it but since mine is a compaq, it directed me their site help section
Old 03-25-2012 at 10:35 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

no still doesnt. guess ill have to man up and try and take it apart myself
Old 03-25-2012 at 10:47 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

get one of those pressurized air cleaners like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&Sku=F39-1000

Then just point it into the fan exhaust slot. All the dust in your comp will come flying out the exhaust or keyboard. Works really well. You shouldnt need thermal paste.
Old 03-25-2012 at 11:01 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
get one of those pressurized air cleaners.
Then just point it into the fan exhaust slot. All the dust in your comp will come flying out the exhaust or keyboard. Works really well. You shouldnt need thermal paste.
it only does so much. i tried that and got a little bit out, but once i took mine apart i got a handful (like the size of a small apple) of dust and i noticed a nice improvement.

as for the thermal paste, it likely is unnecesary but it depends on how old it is
Old 03-26-2012 at 12:17 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

@qwerty did that to minimal effect.
@snow it's just a feeling cause recently gaming had lower frames. prob a bottleneck cause of overheating
Old 03-26-2012 at 12:58 AM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
@qwerty did that to minimal effect.
@snow it's just a feeling cause recently gaming had lower frames. prob a bottleneck cause of overheating
I would need to see the laptop for myself, but I have in the past taken apart laptops to remove dust but as for the thermal pasting that shouldn't be a problem either. I've seen it done several times, but I would just have to see the piece which needs the thermal paste applied to it. If you want me to look at it for you, send me a PM bud.
Old 03-27-2012 at 01:32 PM   #10
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

How old is your computer?

You really don't need to re apply thermal paste, unless your noticing high temperatures.
Download a temp monitoring program and see the average temperatures.

Just a simple removal of dust and normal cleaning will be more than enough.