MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landlord problems Jennnnn Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 02-11-2013 09:22 PM
A retiree and a landlord ychen Introduce Yourself 3 04-22-2012 05:13 PM
Can my landlord do this? Ownaginatios Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 43 03-04-2011 11:13 AM
Awful Landlord DannyV General Discussion 18 08-02-2009 04:24 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

What can I ask my landlord to do?

Old 09-24-2014 at 03:51 PM   #1
MeenaM

Liked: 0 Times

What can I ask my landlord to do?
Hey guys, I'm renting out a place for the first time in my life and I'm not sure what I can and cannot ask my landlord. When I looked at the place and signed the lease, I didn't notice that my room didn't have a lock and key to the door, I kind of just assumed that it had it :(. I've heard before that a landlords can't put in locks if they don't have a certain insurance <-- I'm not sure if this is true or not. All my other housemates have locks on their doors, it's just me. My room is in the basement and it has the box to the fuse or something like that. Can I ask them to put in a lock? Also the carpet flooring isn't complete - they have a mat covering it. Can I ask them to finish that as well? Btw although it sounds bad, other than the lock and carpet, the place is really nice .

Last edited by MeenaM : 09-24-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2014 at 04:55 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

In terms of the lock, many landlords don't like having locks on the doors because if there's a fire or anything and they need to get in, the door would have to get broken down. It's annoying to fix and can be more expensive, depending whether or not it's insured. Also this might sound highly unlikely, but it happened to a friend of mine, where they had a house fire and had to break down the bedroom door to get one of the people out. Soooo it's not impossible. Having said that, I think you have the right to a lock on your door - you may or may not have to pay for it, though, depending on the type of lease. It's not required that your room has one if it's a group lease. If it's an individual lease, then (I think) there should be a lock on the door.

Why do you want a lock to the fuse box? If someone blows a fuse they have to wait for someone with the key to reset it?

You can certainly ask them to finish the carpeting, but they don't have to say yes. If it was like that when you rented it, and it's not unsafe or broken or anything, then I don't see why they'd have to. It's the same as if you'd rented an unfinished basement. You couldn't just turn around after you've rented it and 'force' them to finish it.

You should visit the off-campus housing place. They can answer your questions much better.
Old 09-24-2014 at 07:13 PM   #3
MeenaM

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks. I don't want a lock for the fuse box but the fuse box is in my room. So I thought maybe that could be a reason for why there's no lock.
Old 09-24-2014 at 08:03 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

This covers all legal responsibilities: http://www.ontariotenants.ca /law/act.phtml. You're welcome to request something extra to your landlord, but they may not be legally required to.
Old 09-26-2014 at 10:26 AM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

If you have any questions, contact Jennifer at the Off-campus Resource centre. She's super helpful and you can book an appointment with her and go through anything you're not sure about! There's also a few resources on the site itself that are worth checking out!

http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/oc...ic/contact.htm

Commie42, rthorn19 like this.