MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence move-in Allana:) Residence & Housing 6 08-06-2010 02:25 PM
Residence Move-In Linh Residence & Housing 1 07-18-2010 09:17 PM
Residence Move-In fuzzyskittle Residence & Housing 28 09-01-2009 02:01 PM
Residence Survival Guide - Part Four: Getting Along With Your Roommate lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 4 08-24-2007 08:14 PM
Residence Survival Guide Part 4: Getting Along With Your Roommate Chad General Discussion 4 08-24-2007 08:07 PM

Can i change my roommate before i move into residence building

Old 07-02-2009 at 08:42 PM   #1
ilovemac

Liked: 0 Times

Can i change my roommate before i move into residence building
hi there! i'm an international student and i know that whom i will be live with in my room. Since i've just been here for a few mouths, my listening is not very good, and usually, i cannot understand what are local people talking about. But my roommate has a very strong accent, i worry so much about my future life. i want to change my roommate and i want to live with someone who can speak north American english. can i change my roommate before i move into university? it there a possibility to change?:crying_anim02 :
Old 07-02-2009 at 08:49 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

No you can't change your roommate.

That said I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll be living in a building with lots of other people. If you want to meet and talk to more people who speak without thick accents you shouldn't have a problem.

Maybe the two of you can improve your English together.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:27 PM   #3
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Maybe you can spend time in the common areas of your residence; ask your room mate to join you, and you can both develop your English skills?

I have several family members who have English as a second language, and it was nerve-wracking for them when they first moved here. I also have family members who went on student exchanges and learned to speak second languages. It takes time, for certain, but you will do it! Reach out for support. I came upon this when I was browsing through the McMaster web site: http://csd.mcmaster.ca/centre-for-st...econd-language

If you find it hard to understand your room mate, could you ask her/him to speak more slowly? She/he might also like it if you slowed down, too. My relatives and I still need to ask each other to slow down sometimes . Being open and honest is so important.

ilovemac says thanks to daisy for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:39 PM   #4
ilovemac

Liked: 0 Times

yes, thank you all! i will try my best to improve my english and get along with her. But i think if i can change, it'll be a really good transition for me. My life will become a little easier: The study work load is already....Are there any possibilities to change?

Last edited by ilovemac : 07-02-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:43 PM   #5
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemac View Post
yes, thank you all! i will try my best to improve my english and get along with her. But i think if i can change, it'll be a really good transition for me. My life will become a little easier: The study work load is already....Are there any possibilities to changes?
I keep reading in the McMaster literature that one cannot change room mates once they are assigned, but you could try calling and ask them.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:45 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemac View Post
yes, thank you all! i will try my best to improve my english and get along with her. But i think if i can change, it'll be a really good transition for me. My life will become a little easier: The study work load is already....Are there any possibilities to changes?
No. They don't change room assignments or roommates.

Your roommate might even have the same fears as you about English and how she will communicate and improve hers.
Old 07-02-2009 at 10:08 PM   #7
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

I am sure you guys will be able to understand each other after a month
Old 07-02-2009 at 10:29 PM   #8
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I don't believe they change roommate assignments unless it is a serious issue, like your roommate is stealing constantly from you. If it's accents, I'm sure you will be able to learn to understand each other over time since you will be living with her for an entire 8 mths.
Old 07-03-2009 at 05:35 PM   #9
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

no u can't...as others have said it earlier...u can't change them now(once tht they have been assigned to u)....but u can keep updating the res department if it is some major issue and they'll notify u if and when there is any vacancy in any other room or rez...
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:42 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Sadly.. you can't :(. But you can see it as a challenge and a goal for next year. And as mentionned, you have all the other people on your floor to talk to and improve your communication skills. I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest . And it's only for 8 months!
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:31 PM   #11
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

99% of the time, roommates become really good friends throughout the year. Although you're feeling nervous now, it's totally natural, and once you sit down and have a few conversations with your roommate, you'll see that it's totally fine.