MacInsiders Logo

What can I do?

Old 06-14-2013 at 10:57 AM   #1
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

What can I do?
For Life Science students, every level II Biology course is full on SOLAR, except Biology 2EE3.

I emailed the bio department saying that Biopharm requires four biology courses to be taken and that they are prereqs for a lot of third year courses. But they would only give me the biology spots that weren't available in summer school, which was only one course. :/

So basically, if a course is offered all 3 terms, are they allowed to make you take it in summer school even though it's not a prereq? I don't want to be taking space fillers during the year, just to pay even more money to take courses that I actually need in the summer, it just puts more stress on me.

Not everyone has the money to take summer school for the courses they need, I really would prefer taking them during the regular school year.

banana93, Zebedee like this.
Old 06-14-2013 at 11:03 AM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i think i already told u that 2nd year bio courses are easy to get in to. you have til sept and jan. idk why ppl are so worried they didnt get into a few courses right now. it isnt abig deal. u will get in easy

bradyr, L'Étoile, lalalola2011 all say thanks to Silver for this post.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 06-14-2013 at 11:03 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Is it listed in your degree as a required subject? If so they have to give you a spot.

bradyr likes this.
Old 06-14-2013 at 11:11 AM   #4
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Is it listed in your degree as a required subject? If so they have to give you a spot.
I'm in Life Sciences, so it's just part of a course list, but almost every single course in the course list is full.

I emailed the bio department yesterday, saying it is a prereq for a lot of third year courses I want to take, I work during the summer to pay for tuition and I can't give up that.

The course that I need is Bio 2B03 Cell Biology and Bio 2C03 Genetics.
Old 06-14-2013 at 11:12 AM   #5
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
i think i already told u that 2nd year bio courses are easy to get in to. you have til sept and jan. idk why ppl are so worried they didnt get into a few courses right now. it isnt abig deal. u will get in easy
Yeah, but they aren't even telling us that will be possible.
Old 06-14-2013 at 11:13 AM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

you will get in them for sure. Its very early right now. I was in the biology program and they wouldn't give me a spot in cell biology. I got in later though. Don't worry.

Enjoy your summer

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-14-2013 at 01:45 PM   #7
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

I'm exactly in the same situation. But I guess the departments will open up more rooms later either way. Though..it would be nice If they actually made an official announcement to make science kids relax.
Old 06-14-2013 at 02:33 PM   #8
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

I'm not sure about them necessarily opening up "more room" in the courses, but what the other people are telling you is that if you keep trying to get into those courses on SOLAR, eventually you'll probably get lucky and someone else will have dropped it allowing you to pick it up.

They're really large courses (those 2 you mentioned you want), so you'll very likely get in before the start-date. Keep in mind though, this in no way guarantees you'll get in lol, it's really just luck at this point - but your chances are quite high if you check SOLAR often and diligently.

The system sucks this way, and no one likes to pay for courses they'd rather not take/not get the courses they want..but that's just how it is at the moment.

For the record too, I was in Life Sci (just convocated yesterday), and looking at the current course listing I don't see any set requirement of having Genetics of Cell Bio to graduate, and that's the only "requirement" the advisors care about when opening up a spot just for you (what Leeoku was probably referring to). Simply being a pre-req for courses you want to take in 3rd year (which also aren't definitively required courses to graduate) doesn't make them required for your degree, therefore they unfortunately will not just let you into the course(s).

Keep trying and don't lose any hope, still extremely early, goodluck!!

bradyr says thanks to PockyWarrior for this post.
Old 06-14-2013 at 02:50 PM   #9
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Yes, I remember first year getting into a course I wanted two days before school started...:.)

bradyr likes this.
Old 06-14-2013 at 03:58 PM   #10
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyWarrior View Post
I'm not sure about them necessarily opening up "more room" in the courses, but what the other people are telling you is that if you keep trying to get into those courses on SOLAR, eventually you'll probably get lucky and someone else will have dropped it allowing you to pick it up.

They're really large courses (those 2 you mentioned you want), so you'll very likely get in before the start-date. Keep in mind though, this in no way guarantees you'll get in lol, it's really just luck at this point - but your chances are quite high if you check SOLAR often and diligently.

The system sucks this way, and no one likes to pay for courses they'd rather not take/not get the courses they want..but that's just how it is at the moment.

For the record too, I was in Life Sci (just convocated yesterday), and looking at the current course listing I don't see any set requirement of having Genetics of Cell Bio to graduate, and that's the only "requirement" the advisors care about when opening up a spot just for you (what Leeoku was probably referring to). Simply being a pre-req for courses you want to take in 3rd year (which also aren't definitively required courses to graduate) doesn't make them required for your degree, therefore they unfortunately will not just let you into the course(s).

Keep trying and don't lose any hope, still extremely early, goodluck!!
Thanks, I guess I'll just keeping waiting. But what about people who want to apply for Biopharm in third year, you need 4 biology courses in Level II?
Old 06-14-2013 at 06:11 PM   #11
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
Thanks, I guess I'll just keeping waiting. But what about people who want to apply for Biopharm in third year, you need 4 biology courses in Level II?
Ask the biopharm office...
And cross your fingers...?
Old 06-14-2013 at 08:55 PM   #12
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
I agree with Zebedee on that one. I have next to no experience with Biopharm-related matters (and actually don't know anyone in it myself D=), so I'm not sure how their requirements would work in this case. I actually didn't know Biopharm was a 3rd-year entry type program haha (and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some advisors in the Science Dean Office didn't know either), so you actually might have more of a chance to get a definite spot in the courses than I thought before.

Definitely contact the Biopharm department ASAP (email probably best, especially to have a record in writing and dates+time stamps). They'll know how to direct you in this situation a lot better than just the regular science advisors in my opinion
Old 06-14-2013 at 10:01 PM   #13
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

If you need a course to graduate (i.e. it is listed in your Degree Audit), you will have a spot opened up. If you are in your graduating year and need a course on a Course List, you will likely have it opened up, if there are no other options.

However, you may not receive a seat if you need a course for:

* Post graduate programs
* Interest
* Minors
* Professional schools
* Work

and so forth.

This also applies to transfers. The priority goes to individuals in the program who need the course unfortunately. It may be easier to view from this standpoint. I want ECON 1B03 and I'm in Science, yet let's say there aren't a lot of seats. While I might want to minor in the subject or take upper year courses in Economics or transfer to Economics, the priority goes to individuals who need the course to graduate. It would be worse to have them competing for seats in the same pool as everybody else, as their programs clearly state that they must take those specific courses.

I'm guessing what is happening with a few other courses (e.g. things like Life Sci 2D03, etc) is that upper years are "holding onto seats" as easier electives. They will likely drop them. In terms of 2B03 and 2C03, I can't explain why those are at capacity with an increasing demand as most upper years should already have taken them, but to be fair, some may not have. I know people who have waited till their 4th year, Term 2 to take Genetics, and needed it to graduate (again, priority would go to them).

However, those courses should open up as well. This happens every year and while I know it must seem frustrating, I assure you that you will likely get into all of your required courses and probably all of your electives too. It's just about persistence. It is also not a phenomenon unique to your year as other years have been through the same thing - it does work out, even though it may not seem this way atm.

I've been able to get seats in almost every course I've wanted at Mac except for Kin 1Y03/1YY3 (but that was because I decided I wanted to take those courses too late into the summer and they were already full and incredibly popular both with first years and upper years), but I'm taking the equivalents now.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-14-2013 at 11:15 PM   #14
kshk_s

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
This is what you need to enter Biopharm:

3 units BIOLOGY 2A03
3 units from BIOLOGY 2C03, MOL BIOL 2C03
6 units CHEM 2OA3, 2OB3
6 units from BIOLOGY 2B03, 2D03, 2EE3, 2F03, CHEM BIO 2A03, 2P03
1 course SCIENCE 2C00

They might allow you to take one prereq course (given that it's not BIO 2A03) later on.
Old 06-15-2013 at 11:21 AM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

The Chem Bio courses are probably less likely to fill up, as are Bio 2EE3, so you could get a seat in those while you're waiting for the ones you want to fill up.

Orgo is unlikely to be "full". I would recommend consistently trying for Bio 2C03 and 2A03.

If you have credits in Kin 1Y03 or 1YY3, those may be antirequisites for 2A03

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences