MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 3rd year Enviro Sci course or 3rd year psych courses easier? lovekblue Academics 2 02-28-2013 09:12 AM
Does anyone have Last year or previous year Tests? for Bio1M03, Chem 1A03, lalalola2011 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-06-2012 01:17 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Can I re do first year?

Old 04-02-2014 at 10:09 AM   #1
cassandra82

Liked: 0 Times

Can I re do first year?
Hey guys, so first year really didn't go too well for me. My first semesters average turned out very low, and I did fail a class. My marks improved this semester but I don't know if they'll be high enough to even out last semesters and go into an honours program. I also have a few more classes I want to take because I don't have the prereqs for the program I want right now.

Im in humanities, can I re do first year? any suggestions? :(

Last edited by cassandra82 : 04-02-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2014 at 10:26 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

You can retake first year courses without progressing into level II I believe...but your marks will not go away.
Old 04-02-2014 at 10:32 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

What program are you in?
Regardless of the answer the solution is yes and no. You cannot redo ALL of first year however you can retake the courses and get the average to boost your grade.

There is a scenario where you can redo your entire year. However that is not advised it is called reinstatement. Reinstatement is a form of academic probation and is not guaranteed. Your transcript does get wiped though but if you fall below the requirements again you get kicked
Old 04-02-2014 at 11:06 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Also, re-instatement isn't something that you "choose". Your average MUST be low enough to get kicked out of the university, and then you need to write a letter explaining why you did poorly and why you should get a second chance (these typically consist of extenuating circumstances such as a family death or medical issue). Getting re-instated is not guaranteed, and you typically have to take a year off.

You should see an academic advisor from your faculty. They can discuss options with you.
Old 04-05-2014 at 12:16 PM   #5
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

You can absolutely redo first year. Your final average will be the average of the two years. Failing one class is not a good enough reason to do this however. Just move on and do better in second year. Take into account that by redoing first year, you might end up performing poorly anyway due to lack of interests/challenge.