MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MLA paper due date? mimi8330 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-09-2012 10:04 PM
up until what date can we change courses? 3am Coffee General Discussion 1 08-10-2011 09:57 AM
OSAP due date _Luu_ Academics 5 07-11-2009 03:05 PM

Can i still switch courses after due date?

Old 01-16-2013 at 05:19 PM   #1
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

Can i still switch courses after due date?
so yeah i know yesterday was the last day but is it still possible to switch? thanks!
Old 01-16-2013 at 05:21 PM   #2
nadinee

Liked: 16 Times

I don't know if this helps but I just switched into a day class instead of the evening class I was in, but I had to email the department and fill out a form. I don't know if its the same process for switching another course but theres no harm in emailing the department and seeing what they can do.
Old 01-16-2013 at 06:19 PM   #3
lalalola2011

well i guess if they allowed u to switch time of class they prob might help me switch into a diff class
Old 01-16-2013 at 06:33 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
well i guess if they allowed u to switch time of class they prob might help me switch into a diff class
The two are very different. The reason they have a deadline for adding courses is so that people aren't starting new courses too late, after things have already started happening (labs, quizzes, etc), and to prevent people from being too far behind. Switching course sections doesn't have too much of an effect on stuff like that, especially if there hasn't been anything for marks yet. If you're switching to a completely different course, stuff like that really does matter. It can't hurt to try, I know sometimes depending on the course they'll make exceptions, but the deadline exists for a reason.
Old 01-18-2013 at 11:19 AM   #5
chianga

Liked: 1 Time

I think you can switch courses after the deadline but there is a penalty. I don't remember exactly, but it might show on your transcript that you dropped the course.
Old 01-18-2013 at 12:31 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chianga View Post
I think you can switch courses after the deadline but there is a penalty. I don't remember exactly, but it might show on your transcript that you dropped the course.
You can cancel courses after the deadline with a financial penalty (and it does show up on your transcript as being cancelled), but adding a course is different...and to switch one course for another that involves adding a course, which is why it's a problem.
Old 01-18-2013 at 02:37 PM   #7
lalalola2011

So well ill have to drop then add which means itll show up as cancelled is that a bad thing?
Old 01-18-2013 at 03:08 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
So well ill have to drop then add which means itll show up as cancelled is that a bad thing?
Did you get permission to add the course you want to switch into? If so, then they're essentially extending the deadline, so it might not show up as cancelled. You can't add it yourself on SOLAR. At this point it's all dependent on your specific situation, so ask the academic advisor or whoever you contacted to figure out what exactly is going to happen and what will show up on your transcript.

To answer your question, no, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It can look bad if it's cancelled and then you take it again another year, but most of the time no one cares unless you have a bunch of cancelled courses.
Old 01-18-2013 at 03:26 PM   #9
lalalola2011

Ahh i havnt talked to anyone yet but im feeling like its a little too late to try and do that now...
Old 01-18-2013 at 03:40 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Ahh i havnt talked to anyone yet but im feeling like its a little too late to try and do that now...
Yeah, if you were going to you should have done it right away. It still can't hurt to try, but I'd be really surprised if they let you.
Old 01-19-2013 at 09:49 PM   #11
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

So if one were to drop a course right now, it would show up as "Cancelled" and you would get no refund, correct?
Old 01-19-2013 at 09:59 PM   #12
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
So if one were to drop a course right now, it would show up as "Cancelled" and you would get no refund, correct?
If you drop something now you would still get some money:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/S...tion_UG.h tml

adaptation says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 01-19-2013 at 10:24 PM   #13
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
If you drop something now you would still get some money:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/S...tion_UG.h tml
Awesome, thank you Jim!
Old 01-22-2013 at 08:05 PM   #14
sueahmed

Liked: 0 Times

You cannot on Solar, however, if you get into contact with your respective faculty advisors they can help you.