MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th year independent study Chimmy Academics 3 06-12-2012 11:02 PM
When do we choose our courses for next year Rob Mac Academics 2 06-05-2010 09:30 PM
When do you choose your second year program? liuxw Academics 3 06-03-2009 12:38 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Six: Graduate School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 2 05-06-2009 12:19 PM

Can you choose to not graduate and study for 1 more year?

Old 04-13-2013 at 03:47 PM   #1
lovekblue

Liked: 7 Times

Old 04-13-2013 at 03:49 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekblue View Post
You're not describing your situation enough for this question to be answered.

In some cases yes, in some cases no.
Old 04-13-2013 at 03:53 PM   #3
lovekblue

So my case is this;
I want to get into professional school. If I got rejected in my 4th year, can I repeat the year again and then apply to professional again next year?
Old 04-13-2013 at 04:05 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
So my case is this;
I want to get into professional school. If I got rejected in my 4th year, can I repeat the year again and then apply to professional again next year?
Nope. If you have fulfilled your course requirements they'll make you graduate.

You could hold off taking a requirement (or not have enough units to graduate) and then take them in the summer if you find out you got accepted, and then convocate in November. Or you could apply to do another degree at Mac - in some cases, if you minored in something, they'll let you come back for a year and finish up a BA in it.

lovekblue says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 04-13-2013 at 04:10 PM   #5
lovekblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Nope. If you have fulfilled your course requirements they'll make you graduate.

You could hold off taking a requirement (or not have enough units to graduate) and then take them in the summer if you find out you got accepted, and then convocate in November. Or you could apply to do another degree at Mac - in some cases, if you minored in something, they'll let you come back for a year and finish up a BA in it.

I guess getting another degree is more practical! Thanks
Old 04-13-2013 at 04:12 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
See an academic advisor before you plan on that though - there are requirements and stuff and I don't know all of the details regarding what makes you eligible or not.

lovekblue says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 04-13-2013 at 04:14 PM   #7
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

You could try a diploma/one-degree graduate programme, as an alternative.
Old 04-13-2013 at 04:19 PM   #8
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

You could also do grad school
Old 04-13-2013 at 09:03 PM   #9
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Problem is with grad school you probably missed most if not all the deadlines by now (not to mention grants etc).

Your best option probably is to just take more courses next year as a continuing student or enroll in a 2nd degree program (both of these don't have to be at Mac either). But starfish is right that you should probably consult with an academic advisor too just so you can hear more opinions on possibilities
Old 04-15-2013 at 12:54 PM   #10
miss.wood

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
You can email your faculty/ go to your facults office and ask them to put you as a "continuing" student - that is what I am currently doing
Old 04-15-2013 at 12:55 PM   #11
miss.wood

Quote:
You can email your faculty/ go to your facults office and ask them to put you as a "continuing" student - that is what I am currently doing
Old 04-15-2013 at 12:59 PM   #12
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Whats the rules around being a continuing student?
Old 04-15-2013 at 01:46 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
In what crazy world is getting a second undergraduate degree even remotely practical? I know you got your heart set on grad school, but..... .... ...
Old 04-15-2013 at 02:28 PM   #14
dr4357

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
In what crazy world is getting a second undergraduate degree even remotely practical? I know you got your heart set on grad school, but..... .... ...
if it is in a completely different faculty...it may not be a bad move..e.g. someone who majored in History for example can get a second degree (BSc. without honours) in something like Economics in roughly 1 year..that may open some more doors to different types of grad schools...
Old 04-15-2013 at 03:05 PM   #15
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Many reasons to get a 2nd undergrad degree, especially if you wish to take more courses in University. The upsides of doing a 2nd undergrad degree instead of just taking courses as a continuing student is the ability to obtain more OSAP and to have earlier priority in choosing courses on SOLAR.

To answer some other questions asked about being a continuing student, you don't even have to contact your faculty in most cases in order to be considered a continuing student. You just choose courses on SOLAR at the proper date for continuing students and you automatically are considered one after graduation. Again, keep in mind that continuing students are always the last to choose courses on SOLAR though!

lovekblue likes this.