Cancelling Courses squash101 General Discussion 5 11-24-2010 08:12 PM
Cancelling a Course TLulu Academics 2 06-26-2010 02:20 PM

Cancelling a Class

Old 09-26-2011 at 10:33 PM   #1
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Cancelling a Class
A class is stressing me out to no end, its interfering with all of my classes and above all I can't stand the professor (and his grading scheme). I have heard the class is much more enjoyable during the summer time. Foolishly I am late in dropping the class but I really want to cancel it. I know at this point I will only be receiving 70% of what I have paid but I am okay with that.

However, I am worried as to the repercussions of getting a "cancelled" under a class for your transcript. Do employers care? Do they ask about it? What happens? If I retake the class is the "cancelled" still there?

Also, how does this affect my OSAP? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2011 at 11:48 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

to cancel, go on solar (through mugsi and just drop).
If you drop a course, you should fill out a form from osap sinceu arent taking your full load. Im not sure if the money is added back to ur acc directly or you gota wait etc. best to talk to academic advisor.
all it shows is cancelled. i dont know if ppl care about it.. but common its just a course -.-
Old 09-27-2011 at 05:32 AM   #3
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

If you cancel now, your employers won't know, as it won't even show up on your transcript unless you do it after November 11, 2011. In that case, it'll show up as a fail.
Old 09-27-2011 at 08:10 AM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It will show up on your transcript as "CANCELLED". Chances are, your employers won't care. They might ask you why you dropped it, and all you do is explain the situation. (That's IF your employer even asks to see your transcript, which most don't). Whenever I had to send my marks to jobs on Oscar, I just omitted the cancelled courses. I cancelled 4 courses throughout my time at Mac. Don't worry about it.

Just make sure you fill out an OSAP form that says you've lowered your courseload a bit.
Old 09-27-2011 at 02:22 PM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
to cancel, go on solar (through mugsi and just drop).
If you drop a course, you should fill out a form from osap sinceu arent taking your full load. Im not sure if the money is added back to ur acc directly or you gota wait etc. best to talk to academic advisor.
all it shows is cancelled. i dont know if ppl care about it.. but common its just a course -.-
I'm pretty sure an acadeic advisor can't help you with this as they don't deal with money. I think you have to go to the Accounts & Cashiers Office.
Old 09-27-2011 at 02:42 PM   #6
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
If you cancel now, your employers won't know, as it won't even show up on your transcript unless you do it after November 11, 2011. In that case, it'll show up as a fail.
It shows up as cancelled at any time after the drop/add date which was Sept 16th. I think after Nov 11, if you drop it will appear as failed or something.

To the OP, don't worry about it...if you think it will make your life easier just drop it and take it in the summer. What course is it if you don't mind sharing?
Old 09-27-2011 at 02:51 PM   #7
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

I talked to an academic advisor and I'm just going to drop it for a 70% refund. I'm kind of depressed that I didnt do it a week ago but whatever. The money isn't an issue and she reassured me that the "cancel" seriously doesn't matter unless you accumulate way too many of them. The class by the way is Economics 2X03/2G03.

Also I got the form from financial aid that changes my OSAP.
Old 09-27-2011 at 03:09 PM   #8
ferrari16206

Liked: 1 Time

I feel you with 2X03, But i think you should have stayed, we had a test day and it wasn't bad at all, even though my first impressions of the course were exactly like yours.
Old 09-27-2011 at 03:20 PM   #9
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

My prof is different... I can't stand him (Russian guy). Our first midterm looks really easy, but its 20% in a 50 minute class at 9:30 am... And the prof has only posted 6 practice problems online, nothing else. Its his first year at Mac. I literally can't stand going to his class and listening to him. The first few weeks I thought it would be fine, but I only see it getting worse. Sure, I could have molested this first midterm easily but it looks like a steady slope down hill. I'm also not too strong in calculus and want to focus on this one over the summer. I'm way behind in accounting with no background so I'm just going to focus all my economics effort on accounting henceforth.
Old 09-27-2011 at 05:45 PM   #10
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleStorm View Post
My prof is different... I can't stand him (Russian guy). Our first midterm looks really easy, but its 20% in a 50 minute class at 9:30 am... And the prof has only posted 6 practice problems online, nothing else. Its his first year at Mac. I literally can't stand going to his class and listening to him. The first few weeks I thought it would be fine, but I only see it getting worse. Sure, I could have molested this first midterm easily but it looks like a steady slope down hill. I'm also not too strong in calculus and want to focus on this one over the summer. I'm way behind in accounting with no background so I'm just going to focus all my economics effort on accounting henceforth.
haha, when he talks really fast he slurs his words and he sounds like he downed a fifth of....wodka (водка) before class. lol.

p.s. its not so bad, and its not like he doesn't know what he's talking about, I feel he gives an adequate understanding of the concept and he gives everyone a chance to speak up, which I like. maybe the accent throws you off.

the only gripe I have against him is his practice problems suck serious a ss, there are 30 questions in the back of the book, but who has time to do all of them.

p.p.s. are we going to get the same midterm as the other classes? (and i dont mean his night class) if we are (which I think is the case) can someone please post assigned practice problems, I along with many others would greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2011 at 05:59 PM   #11
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
haha, when he talks really fast he slurs his words and he sounds like he downed a fifth of....wodka (водка) before class. lol.

p.s. its not so bad, and its not like he doesn't know what he's talking about, I feel he gives an adequate understanding of the concept and he gives everyone a chance to speak up, which I like. maybe the accent throws you off.

the only gripe I have against him is his practice problems suck serious a ss, there are 30 questions in the back of the book, but who has time to do all of them.

p.p.s. are we going to get the same midterm as the other classes? (and i dont mean his night class) if we are (which I think is the case) can someone please post assigned practice problems, I along with many others would greatly appreciate it.
No, you aren't.. thats the problem with the class. they are all completely different, you cant attend other lectures or get help from other classes because the professors literally dont talk.

Anyways, I'm out of this thread. I'm done ever thinking about this class until summer. Feels good man
Old 09-27-2011 at 06:06 PM   #12
tyrant
Account Locked

Quote:
No, you aren't.. thats the problem with the class. they are all completely different, you cant attend other lectures or get help from other classes because the professors literally dont talk.

Anyways, I'm out of this thread. I'm done ever thinking about this class until summer. Feels good man
isn't that a good thing? his test will take into account what he went over in class, and we won't be at a disadvantage for stuff other profs went over with their students.
Old 09-27-2011 at 06:15 PM   #13
stever

Liked: 2 Times

are you james collura or james mcpherson?

I'll know as soon as your pssyness drops the course.

im leaning towards collura coz ur online right now (of course that could mean nothing)
Old 09-27-2011 at 06:21 PM   #14
tyrant
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
are you james collura or james mcpherson?

I'll know as soon as your pssyness drops the course.

im leaning towards collura coz ur online right now (of course that could mean nothing)
or maybe his name isn't james you jerk!
Old 09-27-2011 at 07:26 PM   #15
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
A class is stressing me out to no end, its interfering with all of my classes and above all I can't stand the professor (and his grading scheme). I have heard the class is much more enjoyable during the summer time. Foolishly I am late in dropping the class but I really want to cancel it. I know at this point I will only be receiving 70% of what I have paid but I am okay with that.

However, I am worried as to the repercussions of getting a "cancelled" under a class for your transcript. Do employers care? Do they ask about it? What happens? If I retake the class is the "cancelled" still there?

Also, how does this affect my OSAP? Thanks!
Your going to have bad profs and good profs. Don't except things to be so much better in the summer - the materiel is more condensed, and the weightings change (usually to be more dramatic - one midterm instead of three, etc).

Last edited by britb : 09-27-2011 at 07:40 PM.