Cancelling Courses squash101 General Discussion 5 11-24-2010 08:12 PM
Cancelling a Course TLulu Academics 2 06-26-2010 02:20 PM
cancelling courses blue Academics 1 09-20-2008 01:44 PM

Cancelling a course?

Old 03-05-2012 at 01:04 PM   #1
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

Cancelling a course?
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows what the consequences (besides less/no refund) are for cancelling a course. Specifically, would employers hate it if they see a "cancelled" course on your transcript or does it not really matter? The reason I'm asking is because I've been hearing mixed responses and I really want to cancel one of my courses but not if it'll hurt my chances when I'm applying for jobs.
Thanks in advanced!
Old 03-05-2012 at 04:18 PM   #2
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

If you're getting a low mark, just drop it. Nobody cares about cancelled courses but they care about C's and D's on your transcript.

alee90 says thanks to Lawstudent for this post.

jalanknd likes this.
Old 03-05-2012 at 05:01 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I think a more pertinent question would be: "Does my future potential employer care if I have a degree in commerce?" i kid i kid
(nah, i dont : O )
In general: it depends on the type of job, the severity of the mark, the course, how it applies to this job, as well as how differnt this mark is from the rest of your GPA.

The way I see it though is: I'd rather do poorly (even fail!) then drop out because I couldn't suck it up and actually sit down and study the heck out of the course -- whatever actions you do will tend towards becoming habits... so its really up to whether you want to be a quitter!

(from my experience; i've never dropped a course becuase of a bad mark, only if the prof is bad or im stressed)

alee90 says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 03-05-2012 at 06:26 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Employers will rarely look at your transcript, they want to see the piece of paper, any experience you have and if you are a good fit for the organization. It would typically matter if you were looking into grad school, and a cancelled course probably looks better than a C or D.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

alee90 says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 03-05-2012 at 07:12 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

the only repercussion you may have is certain scholarship/rsearch opportunities. i'v seen a bunch that says no dropped/cancelled courses. However, cancelling is better than failing

alee90 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 03-05-2012 at 11:41 PM   #6
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick responses
Old 03-06-2012 at 12:40 AM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

see this is a question i would expect form a first year whining about a course and wanting to drop it just cus he doesn't want a bad mark and to them i would say suck it up, life is hard, if you going to quit over a tiny think like this ur not getting anywhere cus in the long run disappointment and failure will prepare you more than any success.

... buts yours is a different story, seeing as your in fourth year this could mean a lot because most grad schools, and employers will generally look at you latter year marks. i know for grad school not many people question a dropped course unless it was one required and they see you had to retake it later. i am not too sure about direct employment though. i would say the best bet is to go to a career councillor in your department, i know mac has a lot of things and services that are there to give you advice when looking for work or planning you future academic goals and i would bet that they are professionals would give you a 100 times more clear answer than anyone on here.