MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me out. Decide the best people to send this too, and/or help proofread and edit. Kurt_ General Discussion 36 04-05-2009 11:10 AM

Cant Decide

Old 06-11-2010 at 02:28 PM   #1
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Cant Decide
omg... this is so frustrating.
i can't decide between honours life science and honours biochem.

it should be easy: i should know what i love and enjoy, but i dont know that yet!!
as far as im concerned, there's a mix of courses in Biochemistry that i think i will enjoy and will absolutelyyyyyyy hatee. (EX. PROTEINS AND DNA).

also, i always thought you need some sort of specialized degree when you apply to med school. i am wrong becuase EVERYONE says only your GPA counts. so i guess honours life science would be good for me? since there's a lot of electives.

i dont want to take the chance of going into biochem and end up really hating it.
i don't like PCR, GENE EXPRESSION, SOUTHERN BLOTTING and stuff hahahaha. everything i learned fro bio 1a03 i hated. :( so i gues ... biochem isn't for me.

any opinions id appreciate. it's not going to heavily influence my decision, but at least i will have different perspectives.

Thanks.. i just really wish i can figure this out soon.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:52 PM   #2
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Hmm...you didn't apply for just biology did you? That way you could take biology stuff that's not very Bio 1A03-ish.

Last edited by qwerty! : 06-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2010 at 03:01 PM   #3
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

lol i did.
but dont you learn bio1a03 stuff and like ecosytem biodiversity
Old 06-11-2010 at 03:07 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Its easier to go from Biochem to Life Sci than LifeSci to Biochem. So, maybe take BioChem next year and if you don't like it, switch out.

Don't think about prof schools except to check that you have all the prereqs. Remember, there's no guarantee you will get in, even if you have a killer GPA and try for ten years. Better to come out of university with a degree that you can live and work with for the rest of your life (and a possible lower GPA) than one that means next to nothing.*

*Not knocking life sci, its just that in comparison, Biochem seems to be better for preparing for research or specific job, whereas life sci is so general and open its hard to do that unless you are on top of things.

It's all about what you learn, not how well you did not a few hundred midterms.

ALSO, make sure its not the prof or the course than made you hate Bio1A03. Bio1A03 was much more similar to gr.12 bio than 1M03, so think about how you felt about it in highschool as well. The "Biochem" part of 1a03 was the second half - WIlson in term 2, if you took it then.

Last edited by britb : 06-11-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2010 at 03:13 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

If there is a mix of things you do and don't like about biochem, it might be worth it to try it out to see. It's very easy to switch out into Life Sci if you don't like it. Or, you could look at the required courses for years 3-4 (since most of 2nd year is general, basic knowledge) and see if those courses interest you. If you find you'd rather not take the majority of 3rd & 4th year REQUIRED biochem courses, then it might be better to go into Life Sci, and take the ones you want as electives.

If you do Life Sci, but still want to take biochem courses (or do a biochem minor, maybe), the biggest problem would be making sure you have the prerequisites for any courses you are interested in--so that's something you should definitely look into, since pretty much all of the courses have 2nd/3rd year biochem prereqs.

Keep in mind, just because you didn't like it in Bio 1A03, doesn't mean you'll hate it forever. I hated learning that stuff in 1A03 too, and ended up deciding I love it, and now I'm (tentatively) taking Biochem 4E03 (Gene expression/stem cell development) as an elective. For example, when you say you don't like PCR, have you actually done it? Or do you just mean you don't like learning about the steps over and over? I think (although I could be wrong...) that in biochem you actually do PCR, and you might find it more interesting in the context of the lab course, rather than sitting in a lecture hall talking about forward and reverse primers.
Old 06-11-2010 at 10:39 PM   #6
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

My friend was in the same situation as you, haha. But in the end he chose to go into biochem and he did not regard it one bit.