MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:00 PM   #1
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Car, or No Car?
I've always lived off-campus, quite close walking distance, or 1-bus ride away from Mac.

I normally have my car with me in Hamilton, but this year i'm going to be leaving it behind, at my parents house. It's just given me a lot of problems the past year, i've since fixed, but it's just a hassle. When I have access to my vehicle I find that I go out more often, wether for entertainment, or to grab a bite, which ends up taking more money out of my pocket at the end of the month.

I know it's a good idea to leave the car behind, especially since we do get the free HSR pass, but it's going to hard coming to terms with not having a vehicle to use. I've always had one since I got my lisence at 16, so it's going to be really different, and hard to get used to not having one now.

Has anyone else ever decided to leave their car at home before moving to Hamilton? Pros, cons? Did it end up saving you money? etc. Any input.

Thanks everyone
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:34 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I have had access to a vehicle (through my summer job) in the summer for this summer and the previous. It's nice, and sometime I wish I had it all year round, but in the end having a personal vehicle is unnecessary and really a waste of money at this point.

I'd rather spend my limited funds on more important essentials and the few luxuries that I can afford.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:38 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well... I don't have a car, and I probably won't have a car for a while (due to lack of license and money), I can give you some input from someone who's never had a car.

It's difficult, especially in the winter time when you can't ride a bike/rollerblade to school, and the buses are caught in storms. Driving is usually better for instances like that.

On the other hand, not driving forces you to be more on your feet. Granted, I can still take the bus everywhere but sometimes I do have to walk which at least sheds a few calories there.

Leaving your car behind would be good for the environment, and that should be the first thing on your mind these days with the green craze.

But, a car does provide a lot of convenience, and really comes in handy if you have to go somewhere with minimal bus service (I have friends that live past Dundas @[email protected]), or if you need to get groceries and just pack it in the trunk, or just going out and not having to depend on Hamilton's sometimes crappy service. (Have you ever waited for a bus on Sunday? Oh my god. >.>)

Buuuut, a car costs money that you probably want to save towards something else like food, bills, and yes the big one, tuition. Gas is a biotch, and you probably still have to pay insurance which is a pain.

I don't know what to tell you, but I've survived without a car for 20 years and will go on for a few more years. It won't be easy for you to make the switch, but it might prove to be interesting to do it. :]
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:58 PM   #4
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Yes, money is definitely an issue, its even harder when you have loans to pay off.

Old 07-27-2009 at 02:09 PM   #5
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

If I lived within 15 minutes walking distance of Mac, I would not waste money on a car. If you can walk to school, the bus ride can only be like 2 minutes at most. You can take the bus to most entertainment places you want to go. If you want to go somewhere that you can't get to by bus, you could always go home and drive your parents car for that night?

Cars are so expensive. They are convenient, but for me (while in university), the convenience will never outweigh the costs.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:13 PM   #6
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Since the economy is doing so poorly, apparently now is the best time to get a new car. Low cost + low interest rate.

Old 07-27-2009 at 02:18 PM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Since the economy is doing so poorly, apparently now is the best time to get a new car. Low cost + low interest rate.
True in terms of getting a new car especially. However, gas + insurance + maintenance, plus a couple of hundred dollars per month for a car payment is not even remotely affordable for myself, and most likely the majority of other students.
Old 07-27-2009 at 03:01 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If you're within walking distance, or perhaps cycling distance, then you burn precious calories while saving precious dollars. (:
Old 07-27-2009 at 03:08 PM   #9
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

I agree with what you all are saying. I will have quite a bit of OSAP debt to pay off (17k or so) I don't even want to think about that at the moment, lol.

It's definately in my wallets best interest to leave the car behind, although i'm under my parents policy, & I have no car payments, last year while at school the car cost me $20-$40/week in gas, I also didn't have a parking pass, and slowly but surely I started getting into the habit of paying the $5/day to park at Mac, I got lazy taking the bus, walking, & I also chose to eat out a lot, rather than staying in and cooking a meal, since it was so much easier to hop in the car and get take-out, not to mention how un-healthy that is.

I spent around $200/month last semester, parking, take-out, and gas. So that's an extra $200/month I can save each month not driving. A lot of people don't realize how fast things add up.

Taunton says thanks to Greco for this post.
Old 07-27-2009 at 03:58 PM   #10
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

im leaving my car back home, for gas, wear and tear, parking = $$$ saved.

plus saving the environment, yay yay yay

bus stop right on my front lawn, or take my bike or walk, all good
Old 07-27-2009 at 06:32 PM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I'd take the HSR and biking/walking over driving any day.

It's cheaper and less of a headache. If groceries are an issue, try picking them up if your parents end up dropping you off or go with your housemates and share a cab back. :p
Old 07-28-2009 at 09:36 AM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

For the most part (as already stated) you don't need a car.

But since you are so close to home, there is always the option for you to go home and borrow the car if you really need to use it. I'm thinking going somewhere out of town, or maybe somewhere in Hamilton, depending on bus service etc.

I'm from the middle of nowhere, so not having a car/license is an issue when public transit is a twenty minute drive away. Last year I borrowed one of the family cars so I could go to Stratford, and IKEA, but have otherwise more or less managed without a car.

My bf is from out of province, so every year he would drive back to school since it allowed him to bring more stuff over flying. He used the car primarily for grocery shopping (and taking me and others too!), otherwise he used the bus. But I admit there were times when we went places (outside of Hamilton) that weren't accessible by transit, and for that the car was useful.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 07-28-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2009 at 10:35 AM   #13
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

It's all about balance. I live SUPER close to Mac, but I still have a car. I like having the freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want. I go home a lot, and driving winds up being way cheaper (and faster / less stressful) than taking the Greyhound. I hate grocery shopping, but having a car makes me hate it a little bit less.

But you don't need a car! I honestly just love the convenience of it.