MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work oppourtunities in the bars/restaurants at Mac? Willmountain General Discussion 3 08-18-2008 10:22 PM

Celiac Restaurants???

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:44 PM   #1
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Celiac Restaurants???
I have a friend coming in from out of town and she cant digest a lot of food. Does anyone know where you can find a place that caters to people who have celiacs (like gluten free stuff)???

Any help?
Old 02-06-2010 at 10:55 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

celiac is the worst! I tried that diet to see if it'd help and I couldn't make it past day two. I haven't heard of any 'celiac' restaurant but places like Bridges should have something. They've got a lot of good rice dishes. You just have to be conscientious of what goes into your food when you're ordering, which I'm sure your friend will be good at by now.

Fiddleheads has a lot of gluten-free products in case you want to stock up in some snacks.
edit: nvm those stores are only in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge

Last edited by temara.brown : 02-06-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2010 at 11:27 PM   #3
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

My grandma's celiac!
The only place I know that's completely gluten free is My silver lining in stoney creek (on the hamilton mountain).
There's another place that's not completely gluten free but offers a gluten free menu, I believe it's called Limoncello or something.
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:56 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you live on campus you can get Celiac-friendly meals, but from what I understand they have to be pre-arranged with Hospitality.

Ask your friend what they can and cant eat -- that can help you at least get an idea of places you can eat together. Then you'd have to call/inquire as to how things are made and that stuff.

Fortinos has a bunch of food you can buy that is celiac friendly. Two of my staff last year couldn't eat anything with gluten, and we could always get something for them there. Swiss Chalet has gluten-free food, and Pizza Pizza also has gluten-free pizza (but apparently size medium only)

My Thai may have some dishes -- there is one in Ancaster and one downtown somewhere. They have a lot of food with rice, which should be okay.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 02-07-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2010 at 10:14 AM   #5
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

my mom has celiac and fortinos has a lot of frozen options (frozen pizzas, belgium and "eggo style" waffles, donuts, etc) and gluten free breads and crackers

I've also heard that the back alley kitchen has a lot of gluten free things

My dog joe in westdale has a gluten free carrot cupcake and a gluten free macaroon.

pizza pizza, swiss chalet, and pizza nova all have gluten free options as well

If my mom goes to some place like kelseys or boston pizza, she will often have a salad and a baked potato. you could also find these at wendys, which is good because the sour cream and butter are in their own packets so no cross contamination with the sauces.

I know though that if my mom goes away for the weekend sometimes she will bring her own food just to be sure its safe. Maybe ask your friend if they're comfortable trying a new restaurant or new dish.. i know my mom is often hesitant because she is afraid of cross contamination.. she'll be really sick for at least two days after she has something gluteney
Old 02-07-2010 at 01:27 PM   #6
Annie

Liked: 8 Times

My friend is also visiting and he has Celiac Disease too! So celiac disease usually means that they have to eat gluten free foods - and thats hard because.. well.. gluten is in a lot of things (wheat, oats, and barley).

So. I know East Meets West Bistro (at Mary Keyes) has some gluten free foods (last I checked) that you may want to double check before you go in if you wanted to dine on campus.
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:12 PM   #7
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Rice noodles! You can try Saigon Asian restaurant in Westdale. Almost everything is made with rice noodles (however some of their seasoning sauces have gluten in them, so avoid the stir fried noodles). But she could try the rice noodle soup (pho), or the vermicelli (made with rice vermicelli) which has no seasoning on it at all. She could also try the rice paper rolls (made with rice paper and rice vermicelli).

If you guys end up ordering anything that involves sauce, ask to see the container of the sauce (like the hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, etc.) since I think it will have gluten in it, but I'm not sure. Make sure the server asks the owner (and not the male owner, the female owner, the male owner can't speak english but the female owner can and takes allergy concerns very seriously), since I wouldn't trust the rest of the kitchen staff to know what the word "gluten" is.

I have some friends with the same dietary concern and they often eat at Saigon.
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:32 PM   #8
adias

Liked: 1 Time

My sister has a lot of dietary restrictions (gluten included) and she finds that swiss chalet has some options
Old 02-07-2010 at 03:01 PM   #9
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

oh and apparently my sister and her friends were at mex-i-can and one of the first things the owner asked is if they had problems with gluten