MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Aug 21 : Granny Strikes Back Chad Daily Game 0 08-21-2011 04:10 AM
Massive 8.8-magnitude quake strikes Japan Rakim General Discussion 30 03-12-2011 06:43 AM

The Chadhammer strikes again!

Old 02-27-2013 at 01:35 PM   #1
Abid.Hasan

Liked: 86 Times

The Chadhammer strikes again!
Hey, this is James aka Twelve Chars. Just tried to log into that account to see that I was banned for: "too many previous infractions"? Oh, you mean the ones that have long expired? Or did my last thread give me a bunch more, who knows! Because you can't even see your infraction list while your account is banned, just another minor thing that's totally wrong with this site.

I've expressed my distaste for this forum and its moderators in the past, but I just wanted to say it one last time: This forum is awful. The moderators are way too strict, deleting posts, deleting threads, locking threads, banning members, generally maintaining an environment that is not conducive to natural, interesting, or fun conversation. The evidence is the forum itself, what is it at now, 3 or 4 posts per day in General Discussion? Not my definition of a healthy, living community.

I've talked to some of the moderators and they are mostly apologists, humming and hawing and wringing their hands about the matter. It mostly comes down to Chad, the creator, owner, and admin of this site, who is the worst. (All my previous infractions, and probably this ban, have come from him)

So let this be my final goodbye to an already dead community, we had some good times didn't we? We did though, and that's the worst part. Because at times, in years past, we did have some good threads and discussions, with some good posters who have long since stopped visiting. I know a part of that is because those people have since graduated, but don't you think that if this forum was good enough, they would've stuck around as alumni posters?

Here are some shoutouts to some posters I liked, admired, or respected over the years:

Grover, my favourite mod. We did a group project once and I didn't know you were Grover until after the course was done!
jamescw1234, resident hipster.
lawleypop, Desda: Examples posters I didn't particularly like or agree with most of the time, but they were vibrant personalities who put some life into this site.
britb, dreamer21, my waifus who never knew it.

And in no particular order:
RyanC, L'Étoile, Goran, danallan, Entropy, Snowman, Alchemist11, J.Dorey, Amaryll, RememberTwice, adaptation, lizziepizzie, freija, c.erl, Ownaginatios, lorend, Lois.
Old 02-27-2013 at 02:51 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
I've talked to some of the moderators and they are mostly apologists, humming and hawing and wringing their hands about the matter.
Didn't even see why you got banned other than 5 infractions accumulated. I'm as puzzled as you are

Quote:
The moderators are way too strict, deleting posts, deleting threads, locking threads, banning members, generally maintaining an environment that is not conducive to natural, interesting, or fun conversation

That's cause university is full of trolls , flamebait etc.
Old 02-27-2013 at 03:15 PM   #3
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

While I understand the need for some degree of moderation, I can't help but agree it's drained this place of its personality. The issue lies is trying to define the line between an offensive troll and an entertaining one-- because the site has switched (or was it always this way?) to a stance that appeases to the masses, anything that can be considered offensive to anybody is moderated. Thankfully, I've managed to adapt more subtle ways of offending people, but I know that if Chat weren't a feature here I probably wouldn't bother coming around.

But even though I agree with James's opinion, I don't think that calling out the site's creator like this is the best way to present it. You'll get his (and everyone else's) attention, but at the cost of having the thread stifled as soon as someone who doesn't like it sees it.

To mods: perhaps instead of deleting this thread, you could change the topic title as you see fit and use it to take ideas of how to improve the site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
That's cause university is full of trolls , flamebait etc.
Trolls aren't necessarily bad if they can facilitate some discussion.

Old 02-27-2013 at 03:24 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.
If the community sucks, make it suck less. If the world is not what you want it to be, try to change it.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-27-2013 at 03:39 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abid.Hasan View Post
Hey, this is James aka Twelve Chars. Just tried to log into that account to see that I was banned for: "too many previous infractions"? Oh, you mean the ones that have long expired? Or did my last thread give me a bunch more, who knows! Because you can't even see your infraction list while your account is banned, just another minor thing that's totally wrong with this site.

I've expressed my distaste for this forum and its moderators in the past, but I just wanted to say it one last time: This forum is awful. The moderators are way too strict, deleting posts, deleting threads, locking threads, banning members, generally maintaining an environment that is not conducive to natural, interesting, or fun conversation. The evidence is the forum itself, what is it at now, 3 or 4 posts per day in General Discussion? Not my definition of a healthy, living community.

I've talked to some of the moderators and they are mostly apologists, humming and hawing and wringing their hands about the matter. It mostly comes down to Chad, the creator, owner, and admin of this site, who is the worst. (All my previous infractions, and probably this ban, have come from him)

So let this be my final goodbye to an already dead community, we had some good times didn't we? We did though, and that's the worst part. Because at times, in years past, we did have some good threads and discussions, with some good posters who have long since stopped visiting. I know a part of that is because those people have since graduated, but don't you think that if this forum was good enough, they would've stuck around as alumni posters?

Here are some shoutouts to some posters I liked, admired, or respected over the years:

Grover, my favourite mod. We did a group project once and I didn't know you were Grover until after the course was done!
jamescw1234, resident hipster.
lawleypop, Desda: Examples posters I didn't particularly like or agree with most of the time, but they were vibrant personalities who put some life into this site.
britb, dreamer21, my waifus who never knew it.

And in no particular order:
RyanC, L'Étoile, Goran, danallan, Entropy, Snowman, Alchemist11, J.Dorey, Amaryll, RememberTwice, adaptation, lizziepizzie, freija, c.erl, Ownaginatios, lorend, Lois.
Sayonora, hasubando.
Old 02-27-2013 at 03:56 PM   #6
BrownTown993

Liked: 6 Times

Join us at r/mcmaster on reddit!

Phaint says thanks to BrownTown993 for this post.

Phaint likes this.
Old 02-27-2013 at 08:59 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Didn't mention me. sonofabitch!

icecubz likes this.
Old 02-27-2013 at 09:23 PM   #8
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

isnt chad like 30 or something\/?

hatorade says thanks to eddiemurphy for this post.

Old 02-27-2013 at 10:01 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Chad is a Mac Alumni. I believe Macinsiders was a project he created.
Old 02-27-2013 at 10:07 PM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Didn't mention me. sonofabitch!
No one likes you though Afzal.
Old 02-28-2013 at 12:00 AM   #11
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Worst is having posts taken down for pointing out other peoples stupidity or ignorance in previous posts. This forum just takes one *hope i dont get moderated for this* bitch to cry that they've been offended, and posts get deleted, accounts get banned, etc. For all of you out there complaining about trolling and "flame baiting", which btw is the most ridiculous term ive ever heard, WE MAKE THESE POSTS FUN. If youre too sensitive to take a joke here or there, you might want to exit your browser right now, because the internet is FULL OF THEM.
Gonna miss ya 12 chars.
Oh and btw, the threads being posted on here of late (as stated previously, only a couple a day anymore) are dull, and ask questions that would take one click on google to find your answers. Stop asking questions you can easily get the answers to, and make this place fun like it used to be, before the entire forum dies out

Ownaginatios likes this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 08:38 AM   #12
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

can i have your stuff?

Phaint says thanks to chappy89 for this post.

Phaint likes this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 08:49 AM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
No one likes you though Afzal.
That's not what your mom said. <_<

Amaryll, Andrew A, kaitotst like this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 10:12 AM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
That's not what your mom said. <_<
LOL.
Don't be too butthurt and pull out the mom jokes since you have no other decent comeback.
Besides, I was only joking.
XOXOXO
Old 02-28-2013 at 10:42 AM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
LOL.
Don't be too butthurt and pull out the mom jokes since you have no other decent comeback.
Besides, I was only joking.
XOXOXO
Decent enough to offend you