MacInsiders Logo

Chalkboards?

Old 05-30-2011 at 10:08 PM   #1
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Chalkboards?
So, waaaay back when my housemates and I were looking for a house, we had a semi-brilliant idea to paint a wall in chalkboard paint so we could write messages and things for lols. Sadly, the house we got has to have neutral coloured walls, so it's a no-go. I've been keeping my eye out for something that might work over the last month, and the best (by best I mean only) thing I've found so far is this:

It's a peel-n-stick chalkboard tile thing, a set of 4 for $20 at Chapters. But yeah, I was wondering if anyone here had a better idea? We also can't mount things on the walls with nails/screws/anything remotely permanent without their approval, so pretty much never. Thanks as always guys. :p

Last edited by Zimonada : 05-30-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:13 PM   #2
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

That's a cool idea!
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:16 PM   #3
musicislife

Liked: 10 Times

I've heard about using plastic wrap on the wall to create a whiteboard. Never tried it, but it sounds cool!
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:19 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Unless you plan on living there more than one year, why not just get a big chalkboard. That way it last more than one year. And very cool idea btw i was thinking of buying litle chalkboard for my roommates so we could leave msg on each other doors like in rez.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:23 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

You could get a mirror and use that... I'm pretty sure dry erase marker is fine. Even if its not, a shot of rubbing ROH or nail polish remover (acetone) should handle it. Hang it on the fridge or something.... chalkboards and white boards are expensive.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:26 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

dollar store sells stickonwall whiteboards (thin sheet like)
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:39 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

there chalkboard paper, which is considerable cheaper. Just decided to price it online . at sears it 12.24 for 18'' by 6'
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:42 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Just throw up about 2 squares of wallpaper and paint that with blackboard paint. If anyone asks or comes to check, you can always rip off the wallpaper.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:50 PM   #9
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Last year my housemate just covered a section of his wall with masking tape and painted chalkboard paint over it.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:57 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

whiteboard > chalkboard

Eternal Fire, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 11:21 PM   #11
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

When I moved in to my student house there was an ikea (~20$) whiteboard in the kitchen. We divvied it up, got dollar store pens, and it's been fantastic all the time. One space for everybody, and then one for each housemate as well. Handy for leaving notes like "mom called" or "pick up your goddamn dishes" haha.
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:44 PM   #12
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Hey if you still want the paint you might be able to get it for free.
here the link to the coupon http://www.benjaminmoore.com /bmpsw..._geti nspired
and the paint
http://www.benjaminmoore.com /bmpsw.../paint/prd_307

Good Luck.

MI Deal Blogger

Zimonada says thanks to MacPack for this post.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:47 PM   #13
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
whiteboard > chalkboard

white better than black....racist. Nah i'm just kidding

I have seen a blackboard wall before and let me tell you. it is horrible. The stuff is cheap and doesn't erase well. Also there is a ton of dust. Stay away from it
Old 06-01-2011 at 04:50 PM   #14
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

At Home Hardware/Depot they actually sell slats of whiteboard (minus the frame and all the fancy stuff of course). You can get a decent (a.k.a. huge) one for about $5, much less than a 'real' one from a stationary store.

Zimonada says thanks to neila.b for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:25 PM   #15
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

You can find rolls of white-boards in Dollarama, my floor mates bought about 5 or 6 rolls, and mounted it onto the walls. We now have a pretty sweet white-board at our access. It had an adhesive backing that didn't remove the paint when we pulled it out.

Another idea (and this works amazingly) is to cover a wall with plastic and use white-board markers on it. I did this while I was in residence (freaked my roommate out a bit) but in the end it was a huge pain because the walls aren't smooth so the writing came out bumpy).

I'd go with a white-board because you can avoid the messy chalk business.

Good luck and have fun decorating your place!