MacInsiders Logo

Chalkboards?

Old 06-01-2011 at 07:07 PM   #16
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

why dont you just get like a sheet of plywood ( the thin ones that weigh dont that much) and then just paint those with chalk board paint and hang that up, that way ur not really painting the wall, you can easily remove them and move them around, and hang them where ever you want.....make it s DIY project for your self and house mates

... edit : woops didnt read the no mounting part, well you dont have to mount it, you can always lean it up against the wall? lol

Last edited by Chevalier : 06-01-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2011 at 12:56 PM   #17
Lauren.xo

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
At Home Hardware/Depot they actually sell slats of whiteboard (minus the frame and all the fancy stuff of course). You can get a decent (a.k.a. huge) one for about $5, much less than a 'real' one from a stationary store.
That is exactly what my boyfriend did!! He couldn't mount things either so he bought two (they are huge!) taped them together on the back and just leaned them against the wall side by side. Definitely more whiteboard space for your money than the dollar store rolls, although I suppose if you don't want it huge it might be cheaper there

P.S. I wouldn't recommend the chalkboard if you have any sort of dust allergies, poor air circulation, or a strong distaste for vacuuming chores

Zimonada says thanks to Lauren.xo for this post.
Old 06-02-2011 at 01:44 PM   #18
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I had that in my res room this year (a big one from indigo, not 4 small). You have to be careful to use only the chalk they supply. I didn't realize it...bought chalk from staples and it scratched it all up. I think the chalk they provide you is like some soft chalk or something. I ended up buying a big real blackboard from staples...

EDIT: I read no mounting...but why not use those sticky things. That's what I did and they didn't leave any residue.

Zimonada says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.
Old 06-05-2011 at 12:10 AM   #19
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
I had that in my res room this year (a big one from indigo, not 4 small). You have to be careful to use only the chalk they supply. I didn't realize it...bought chalk from staples and it scratched it all up. I think the chalk they provide you is like some soft chalk or something. I ended up buying a big real blackboard from staples...
Definitely good to know... I think the main reason we went chalkboard over whiteboard was the fact that there is no whiteboard paint..? But even after that, there were many lols to be had when we drew all over the lecture hall chalkboards.

I will most definitely check out Home Depot though, I don't think anyone cares about it looking great or not, and it's on my way to work. My housemates are convinced the tape will peel off the paint anyway, which would be bad seeing as the managers just repainted quite a few rooms...

Thanks again guys. :p