MacInsiders Logo

Chartered Accountancy at Mac?

Old 05-21-2011 at 11:11 AM   #1
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Chartered Accountancy at Mac?
Is it possible for a science student (aka ME) to go for one? I mean, would I have to transfer into Commerce II, or is it something to think about only after completing my undergrad degree?

I haven't taken any commerce subjects (eg Econ) in my first year, so I'm pretty lost. Any help will be very appreciated!

(I'm just scouting out options for now since I have no idea what to do with my life for now.)
Old 05-21-2011 at 12:03 PM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

you would need to complete the following:
http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/ug...Sept 2012.pdf

Now let me inform you that obtaining a CA designation is very difficult, especially from mcmaster. You need to be in the top 10% meaning you should be getting (10-12) in every class, you need to network and you also need to take the initiative to read a lot about the designation and what is going on in the market. Its a career suited for few.

Faer says thanks to Commie8507 for this post.
Old 05-21-2011 at 12:58 PM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Thank you so much for the link, and for your advice as well!
Old 05-21-2011 at 05:07 PM   #4
AgentTMa

Liked: 3 Times

I believe you have to start in COMMERCE 1, since you missed some required courses such as COMM 1PA0, COMM 1E03, ECON 1B03, ECON 1BB3, MATH 1M03, ONE BEHAVIOURAL SCIENCE, COMP SCI 1BA3, etc
Old 05-21-2011 at 05:18 PM   #5
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTMa View Post
I believe you have to start in COMMERCE 1, since you missed some required courses such as COMM 1PA0, COMM 1E03, ECON 1B03, ECON 1BB3, MATH 1M03, ONE BEHAVIOURAL SCIENCE, COMP SCI 1BA3, etc
no you do not 1pa0 is taken if you get approved for a transfer, 1E03 is not required for transfer students, math is replaced with the math for life sciences and most science students take both econs. The only course that op needs is Comp Sci 1TA3 which is the anti requisite for 1BA3
Old 05-21-2011 at 05:21 PM   #6
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
you would need to complete the following:
http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/ug...Sept 2012.pdf

Now let me inform you that obtaining a CA designation is very difficult, especially from mcmaster. You need to be in the top 10% meaning you should be getting (10-12) in every class, you need to network and you also need to take the initiative to read a lot about the designation and what is going on in the market. Its a career suited for few.
This is definitely not true
Old 05-21-2011 at 05:24 PM   #7
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
This is definitely not true
The big 4 love to screen using GPA's, 3.7 is needed in order to be competitive.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:55 PM   #8
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
The big 4 love to screen using GPA's, 3.7 is needed in order to be competitive.
I asked my accounting professor about how to be competitive, he says, you need to be well-rounded (no durp). with that said, he had class-mates with 70s, however, were still able to acquire a summer position at the big-4 firm he interned at. furthermore, he noted there were some classmates with B-averages that got the job over the students with 10+, though, without extra-curricular.

Faer, icecubz like this.
Old 05-22-2011 at 05:35 AM   #9
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHopeful View Post
I asked my accounting professor about how to be competitive, he says, you need to be well-rounded (no durp). with that said, he had class-mates with 70s, however, were still able to acquire a summer position at the big-4 firm he interned at. furthermore, he noted there were some classmates with B-averages that got the job over the students with 10+, though, without extra-curricular.
Are you saying the B- students or the 10+ students were the ones without the extra-curricular?
Old 05-22-2011 at 05:41 AM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

People won't hire the former. It's definitely the latter.
Old 05-22-2011 at 09:42 AM   #11
Jonsee

Liked: Liked 18 Times

My cousin is a manager at Deliotte and she told me marks are only important for getting you past the HR department. Once you're through marks count for nothing and its all about your extra curriculars/experiance and how you present yourself. And I've heard of plently of people getting into the big 4 w/ B, B+. And having interned at an accounting firm people should realize not getting into a big4 firm isnt the end of the world as there are plenty of smaller firms out there looking for students that'll pay pretty competitively.
Old 05-22-2011 at 11:03 AM   #12
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Are you saying the B- students or the 10+ students were the ones without the extra-curricular?
B- got the job over the A students who did not have E.C.
Old 05-22-2011 at 11:47 AM   #13
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHopeful View Post
B- got the job over the A students who did not have E.C.
I'm not going to say I'm surprised. Grades can only take one so far...it was only when I was applying for university did I realize how important Extracurriculars are (and guess how much I'd participated? -.-)