MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone take chem 1a03 and chem 1aa3 during the summer? macbaby07 Academics 0 05-03-2010 05:47 PM

Chem 1A03

Old 07-15-2011 at 01:25 AM   #1
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

Chem 1A03
How much of a review of grade 12 is chem 1a03? Is that much different from grade 12 chemistry?
Old 07-15-2011 at 02:32 AM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I found that 95% of the course was review of grade 12. The only thing I hadn't learned was quantum numbers and that was easy enough to pick up on

Buddastotle says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

Saskia likes this.
Old 07-15-2011 at 03:04 AM   #3
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Both chem courses should be a lot of review but they are still fairly difficult.

However, they are really well managed/taught and probably the best Life Sci I courses.

Buddastotle says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.
Old 07-15-2011 at 03:04 AM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Great courses.

(hopefully this post shows up )
Old 07-15-2011 at 12:56 PM   #5
Buddastotle

okay good, so does that mean that the profs go over concepts again? Reason I am asking is that my teacher basically taught chem 12 with formulas he didn't instill the concepts that aren't required along with the formulas, he just basically threw problems at us and we had to use formulas for them.Nonetheless, i did good, I am just scared that i may be behind in terms of understanding concepts required for chem 1a03 and 1aa3
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:02 PM   #6
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

they will go over all of the major concepts again (i.e. from all the different units),
but they do expect you to know the basics. I think it's like Chapters 1-4 and 6 of the book that they use. That stuff is just difference between ionic and covalent, how to balance rxns, chemical formulas, moles, gas laws.
Hope that helps
Old 07-15-2011 at 02:30 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

don't worry, the first year chem department is really helpful. they understand that the students came from a whole variety of different chemistry backgrounds so for most of the concepts, they teach it as if it's your first time learning it. but like biochemer said, you'll be expected to know some basic chemistry
Old 07-15-2011 at 05:11 PM   #8
UlteriorMtve

With 1A03/1AA3 I don't think you can go wrong with any of the profs. They are all great teachers and each have their individual strengths. You won't have to fight to get into the cores with the best profs (*cough* BIO)
Old 07-15-2011 at 05:53 PM   #9
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

It really depends on your high school. As already mentioned, first year Chem can be a total review of grade 12... or, as it was in my case, it can be almost completely new. My high school went over inorganic chemistry, thermochem, atomic theory and acid/base chem at a very basic level (in retrospect), while skipping over some things (i.e. I had never heard of "redox reactions" before university) and Chem 1A03/1AA3 greatly expanded on these topics. Personally, I thought it was a very challenging and tricky transition from high school (mostly because of the shift in emphasis from 'memorization' to 'deep understanding/problem solving' which was tough), but hopefully you were/will be better prepared.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is... don't just assume it'll be easy review... it might not be.

Old 07-15-2011 at 07:38 PM   #10
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
With 1A03/1AA3 I don't think you can go wrong with any of the profs. They are all great teachers and each have their individual strengths. You won't have to fight to get into the cores with the best profs (*cough* BIO)
I'd say avoid Dumont. He tries really hard but just can't teach a first year university class. He couldn't control the class, to the point you couldn't hear him because everyone was talking (this happened almost every lecture). If you do end up having him, make sure you sit in the front row.

But yes, I totally agree...Chem department>Bio department...in all aspects and they are just so much more organized.

Saskia likes this.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:11 PM   #11
Buddastotle

Right now up my schedule is set up in a way that the only profs i can have for chem 1a03 and 1aa3 are : EMSLIE and LOCK respectively.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:19 PM   #12
Buddastotle

Apparently, Emslie and Lock are amazing profs so i guess thats a plus for me considering my dilemma!
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:19 PM   #13
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddastotle View Post
Right now up my schedule is set up in a way that the only profs i can have for chem 1a03 and 1aa3 are : EMSLIE and LOCK respectively.
Emslie didnt teach last year so i dont know about him/her but Lock is supposedly the best 1st year chem prof, I had her for both Chem but i didnt really go to class so I can't say much but she's really nice and often have random science joke breaks
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:38 PM   #14
UlteriorMtve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
I'd say avoid Dumont. He tries really hard but just can't teach a first year university class. He couldn't control the class, to the point you couldn't hear him because everyone was talking (this happened almost every lecture). If you do end up having him, make sure you sit in the front row.

But yes, I totally agree...Chem department>Bio department...in all aspects and they are just so much more organized.
I went to classes that were taught by either Lock, Landry or Stover and found them all to be good teachers. I guess I over-extended the "great teacher" label to the whole department as I personally didn't go to any classes taught by Dumont
Old 07-15-2011 at 11:48 PM   #15
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

I had trouble with Landry, just his teaching attitude and the fact that he speaks so fast, the few times I had him sub in, I couldn't understand a thing. Prof Lock and Stover are both wonderful, but for chem classes, make sure you sit in the front row and take good notes. There is a lot of review from high school but they expect you to understand the concepts and not just plug in numbers into formulas. I found 1A03 to be easier than 1AA3, and the textbook helped me in 1aa3. For midterms and exams, I recommend you just go into the chem help center as much as possible right before midterms and just sit there and listen to the TA discussing how to solve problems with other students. I found this really helped prep me.

Do not worry, you will do great. Do not be intimidated.