CHEM 1A03 Formal Labs? resh.jyoti Academics 1 11-15-2009 07:41 PM
Chem 1A03 Labs on Fri??? zemianr Academics 0 09-14-2008 09:43 PM

What are Chem 1A03 labs like?

Old 08-29-2012 at 03:51 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Are they easy if y ou follow the instructions, how long does it take to complete a lab and write the report?

Do the lab supervisors help you out in the lab and check your experiment to see if it matches your observations, or do they just sign on your observations?

How are they marked?
Old 08-29-2012 at 04:16 PM   #2
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Yes, they are easy and relaxed. The lab procedures are outlined in a lab manual that you will purchase. There'll be info about that in the first few classes. Labs are listed as 3 hours long but you only actually get 2.5 hours for 1A03. Make sure you know what you're doing before you go into the lab, because sometimes people that haven't prepared sufficiently are forced to rush near the end because the TAs kick you out when the lab is over. Most people finish them before the end of the lab and leave early. Some labs will take longer than others, either bause there's a lot of waiting or if the calculations are confusing ... although this doesn't happen so much for 1A03 labs

Usually you can comfortably finish the lab and complete the report before you leave. There's only one lab (equilibrium, I believe) that you are given a week to finish writing the results up for.

Lab TAs vary - some are very helpful and are easy markers, but I've heard the complete opposite for other TAs. Mine were alright. They answer questions and offer help when something isn't going as expected or if you don't understand how to calculate something. They also did sign the pre-lab questions, which are done before your lab.

Labs are out of 10 and the breakdown will be presented by your TA at the start of every lab. Usually 1.5-3 marks for pre-lab questions, 1 for procedure, 2-3 for observations, and 2-4 for conclusion and sources of error. Something like that. This varies for each lab.

Sam-I-am, twinrainbow all say thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.

Sam-I-am, twinrainbow like this.
Old 08-29-2012 at 04:56 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I remember finishing them just in time... almost every lab involved hurriedly finishing up all the things that were required (observations and whatnot). Try to go into the lab with a vague idea of how you'll do your writeup, and make sure you make your observations at the time they happen, and not after the fact (dumb habit I did for the first few ). Biggest problem I saw people have was not doing the prelab until the day of, or night before. (you're sure to see tons of people in the hall trying to figure it all out..)

twinrainbow says thanks to RyanC for this post.

twinrainbow likes this.
Old 08-29-2012 at 05:37 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Dr. Landry also uploads a video for each lab
http://vimeo.com/user8345703
Old 08-29-2012 at 06:05 PM   #5
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

I have Chem 1A03 lab every other week. So, how do I find out if I have it on Sep 7?
Old 08-29-2012 at 06:10 PM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
I have Chem 1A03 lab every other week. So, how do I find out if I have it on Sep 7?
Labs don't start until Sept 19th. That week will be the EVEN lab sections.

Labs are scheduled for 2.5 hours. NOT the 3 hours you see on your SOLAR schedules. This is plenty of time to finish the experiment. Make sure you come to the lab prepared.

Labs run every other week (EOW). If you are an EVEN numbered lab section (L02, L44, L96, etc), then you will go to the LAB during your scheduled lab time the week of Sept 19th.
For that same week, those with ODD numbered sections (L03, L51, L99, etc) will go to their scheduled tutorials for the week of Sept 19th.

Everything will be explained in great detail during the first day of lecture/class in your core section.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Last edited by Rayine : 08-29-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Alexmahone says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 08-29-2012 at 06:29 PM   #7
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

If you like wearing those retarded goggles that fog up if your body heat goes up so much as a hundredth of a degree, you'll love it.

Otherwise, I don't think you'll actually be seeing enough of anything to enjoy it.
Old 08-29-2012 at 07:19 PM   #8
twinrainbow

Liked: 0 Times

Is the lab due before you leave the laboratory?
Old 08-29-2012 at 07:29 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrainbow View Post
You have to write your labs in a lab notebook, that includes carbon-copy paper. This is due before you leave the lab and is marked by the TA.

In addition, there will be one formal lab write-up. This is usually due one week after the lab is completed.

twinrainbow says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 08-29-2012 at 07:33 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrainbow View Post
See the earlier post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.98e24 View Post
Yes, they are easy and relaxed. The lab procedures are outlined in a lab manual that you will purchase. There'll be info about that in the first few classes. Labs are listed as 3 hours long but you only actually get 2.5 hours for 1A03. Make sure you know what you're doing before you go into the lab, because sometimes people that haven't prepared sufficiently are forced to rush near the end because the TAs kick you out when the lab is over. Most people finish them before the end of the lab and leave early. Some labs will take longer than others, either bause there's a lot of waiting or if the calculations are confusing ... although this doesn't happen so much for 1A03 labs

Usually you can comfortably finish the lab and complete the report before you leave. There's only one lab (equilibrium, I believe) that you are given a week to finish writing the results up for.

Lab TAs vary - some are very helpful and are easy markers, but I've heard the complete opposite for other TAs. Mine were alright. They answer questions and offer help when something isn't going as expected or if you don't understand how to calculate something. They also did sign the pre-lab questions, which are done before your lab.

Labs are out of 10 and the breakdown will be presented by your TA at the start of every lab. Usually 1.5-3 marks for pre-lab questions, 1 for procedure, 2-3 for observations, and 2-4 for conclusion and sources of error. Something like that. This varies for each lab.

twinrainbow says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 08-29-2012 at 10:44 PM   #11
ZiZip

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Just out of curiosity- how many labs are there? In bio 1A03 there were only 4.
Old 08-29-2012 at 10:58 PM   #12
Rayine
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiZip View Post
Just out of curiosity- how many labs are there? In bio 1A03 there were only 4.
There are 5 experiments

ZiZip says thanks to Rayine for this post.