MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chem 1AA3 Research Group winter02 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 11-27-2011 02:05 PM

Chem 1AA3 Research Group

Old 11-23-2012 at 09:19 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Chem 1AA3 Research Group
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any info on the Chem 1AA3 research group or provide me with an anecdote of their experience?

I really want to do it, but I have a few questions. How is the group interview like?

I realized that 2012 was student innovated, and they created a solar pen, and it seems a bit intimidating. I don't think I could ever do that, so I'm not sure if I'd be a worthless person on the team? It seems that good research skills are just not enough.
Old 11-23-2012 at 09:28 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any info on the Chem 1AA3 research group or provide me with an anecdote of their experience?

I really want to do it, but I have a few questions. How is the group interview like?

I realized that 2012 was student innovated, and they created a solar pen, and it seems a bit intimidating. I don't think I could ever do that, so I'm not sure if I'd be a worthless person on the team? It seems that good research skills are just not enough.
Not all of them created a solar pen, different groups had different projects.
I don't think the group interview was too intense. It can't hurt to try, find out more about it, and decide later. Most people have about the same amount of knowledge and experience as you, though, so don't feel too "worthless". It's always a good feeling looking back and realizing how much you learned, that you learned more than you thought you would have been capable of.

naval23 says thanks to starfish for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 11-23-2012 at 09:38 PM   #3
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Not all of them created a solar pen, different groups had different projects.
I don't think the group interview was too intense. It can't hurt to try, find out more about it, and decide later. Most people have about the same amount of knowledge and experience as you, though, so don't feel too "worthless". It's always a good feeling looking back and realizing how much you learned, that you learned more than you thought you would have been capable of.
Thanks for your answer. Researching about something is one thing, but actually have to implement it and build something makes me iffy about it. I really want to try it out, but I just don't want to be stuck thinking, wow I actually don't think I'm good at this 6 weeks into the group when it'll be too late.
Old 11-23-2012 at 11:27 PM   #4
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

You will meet with your group at Dr. Landry's office. You will then (most likely) head to a lab room and he will give your group a short task that may require some thinking outside the box. It won't be heavily based on very specific things you've learned so far in lecture. Instead, he will observe how you perform among your group members while thinking of an innovative solution to the problem he poses. It is not necessary to reach a solution to the problem if you are unable to get there (not that the questions are difficult though); he's more interested in how you communicate with your group members and your method of treating unexpected obstacles, if they do arise.

I've heard that he also looks at your grades on the Chem 1A03 tests and labs, with heavier emphasis on the tests.
Old 11-23-2012 at 11:36 PM   #5
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.98e24 View Post
You will meet with your group at Dr. Landry's office. You will then (most likely) head to a lab room and he will give your group a short task that may require some thinking outside the box. It won't be heavily based on very specific things you've learned so far in lecture. Instead, he will observe how you perform among your group members while thinking of an innovative solution to the problem he poses. It is not necessary to reach a solution to the problem if you are unable to get there (not that the questions are difficult though); he's more interested in how you communicate with your group members and your method of treating unexpected obstacles, if they do arise.

I've heard that he also looks at your grades on the Chem 1A03 tests and labs, with heavier emphasis on the tests.
So, do you have to shine as an individual in the group task, or is everyone's performance similar? And do you know how long he'd give you time for to think of a solution and would he be watching you every second, even when you're trying to come up with a solution of some sort or does he step out and come back later to discuss?
Old 11-24-2012 at 12:06 AM   #6
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
So, do you have to shine as an individual in the group task, or is everyone's performance similar? And do you know how long he'd give you time for to think of a solution and would he be watching you every second, even when you're trying to come up with a solution of some sort or does he step out and come back later to discuss?
There was a time limit. I believe it was half an hour discussing a solution amongst yourselves in his office, and half an hour doing the task in the lab. The interview lasted one hour but the distribution of time may differ for you.

He watches you the whole time, yes. He's sitting across you and the others in his office while listening to your conversation, and he observes you (as a group) continuously in the lab room. The point of this is so he can see how you work with others when faced with the problem. Although it was a little intimidating, try to communicate openly with the others, offer good suggestions to the problem, and be an active part of the process. Don't overdo it and be a smart aleck, though. I remember he said this right before we started, in reference to past interview: "There was one guy who was very quiet for the whole session, but said one sentence near the end that was significant, useful, and instigated an aha moment within the other group members." Apparently, for this guy, that was all it took to convince Landry of his capabilities. Of course, this may be an exception and not the rule, but the point is to act naturally and not artificially overdress the way you act or speak.